Gmail or Yahoo Email Service. Which has best spam filters?

jshen

Established Member
So I've used Cox email services for over 20 years. My email address seems to be soliciting more and more spam each day, and the Cox spam filters suck. I manually move spam into my Cox spam folder but it isn't doing much of anything to filter future spam. So I'm wanting to start fresh with a new email address and email service.

I've narrowed down my choices to Gmail and Yahoo, in part because Gmail is supposed to have the best anti-spam filters followed by Yahoo. Gmail allow you to manually blacklist email addresses to block them going forward. Kind of like blocking callers on my iPhone. For those who have or presently use Gmail or Yahoo, what is your experience with spam filtering with either or both? Is one better than the other in your opinion?

Thanks for your help!
Bob

I too rarely get spam on gmail but all the spam coming though Comcast...cable recently has been generated by AMAZON who has sold our information to everybody. If you trace back the genesis of the spam- I keep coming to Amazon

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ive been with Gmail since it was invite only Beta.. around 2004. invites weren't hard to get if you knew someone fairly tech aware back in the day but it wasn't a total whore like Hotmail was haha.

Havent had a single issue that I can recall as far as lost messages in/out.

Most of the questionable emails I get are from people who have very similar email addresses as mine. I have my main account and so far I have 2 or 3 people from Britain and Scottland that occasionally mix up their address with mine. Esther in England sure needs a lot of tech help. lol

As for direct overt spam? Always hits the spam folder. As stated, I dislike the fact that Google the company has taken a political stance. Their products are top notch though.

As for Amazon? Hell, they would sell our atmosphere to us if they could. f it, as long as I get Prime shipping Im ok with it. :D

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Amazon isn't the only company selling our emails. And be assured that those buying our email addresses are themselves selling them to other buyers. If every email provider had spam filtering as solid as Google, the buyer market would dwindle. Cox, like I said earlier, is absolutely horrible at spam filtering. Just this morning I checked my Cox mail account and found only spam in it. The majority of it being spam I had reported in the past. So happy that I switched to Gmail. Can't wait to delete my 'cobrabob' account at cox in a couple of weeks.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have two as well. One has my name. The other is a burner that I use for Craigslist and signing annoying people up for wake up calls.
I have two Gmail accounts. My new one which is my primary email account, and a second one I got a couple of years ago that will be my go-to account for stuff like Craig's List. I might consider using it for Amazon, too.

CV355

_
Established Member
I have two Gmail accounts. My new one which is my primary email account, and a second one I got a couple of years ago that will be my go-to account for stuff like Craig's List. I might consider using it for Amazon, too.

Always good to have a burner. Or two. Or five.

jrandy

Established Member
Amazon isn't the only company selling our emails. And be assured that those buying our email addresses are themselves selling them to other buyers. If every email provider had spam filtering as solid as Google, the buyer market would dwindle. Cox, like I said earlier, is absolutely horrible at spam filtering. Just this morning I checked my Cox mail account and found only spam in it. The majority of it being spam I had reported in the past. So happy that I switched to Gmail. Can't wait to delete my 'cobrabob' account at cox in a couple of weeks.

Fun fact - if you ever wanted to see what spam you are receiving due to a specific company selling your email, you can do add in '+'company name'@gmail.com to the end of your email.

For example, your email is [email protected] and you buy something from abc company, enter your email as [email protected]. Google ignores anything that comes after the +, so it will be delivered to you.

From there on out, you will know that any spam message that gets sent to [email protected] came from that specific company.

Users who are viewing this thread