Go outside and check out comet neowise

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Clouds and damn skeeters been keeping me from seeing it. I have been using binoculars. Seems like we have it rising higher each night through the 23rd.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, can you see it at all with your naked eye? I'd love to take a look through my binoculars, but it would probably take me forever to try to find it. Any advice to help?

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
It's really low on the horizon right now, and I'm fighting twilight and clouds. Haven't seen it yet.

However, it's right under the Big Dipper, so it has to be easy to find. I guessing I'll see it this week! I'd recommend using binoculars. Just find that last bottom corner star of the Big Dipper, and slowly pan down. Another technique is to find a tree or building, that lines up with that star using your eye, then pan up!

This picture really makes it easy to locate. Good luck!
Yeah, can you see it at all with your naked eye? I'd love to take a look through my binoculars, but it would probably take me forever to try to find it. Any advice to help?
20200718_075410.jpeg

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Saw it tonight!

Went out around 930, with binoculars. I'm an amateur astronomer, so I knew what to expect. Very easy to find. It was located just like the picture above.

There was no way I could see it without binoculars. It's just too dim. Keep in mind, it's NOTHING like the pro pictures you see online, but rather a very very faint fuzzy area of light, with a rather visible tail. I live in a moderately dark area, no light pollution. If this is your first attempt at looking at a comet, you might not see it. I was able to describe how to locate it to my woman, and she saw it as well. She admitted it was easy to see/find because of how I explained it to her. No way was she finding it on her own. As luck would have it, it was directly above a stop sign. I told her to aim the binoculars at the stop sign, then pan up until you find the two stars that line up horizontally with each other. Easy!

I'm interested in looking for it later this week, as it will be higher up, and visible well after twilight. Try to go a good hour after sunset, when you can see the Big Dipper. Too early, and it will be washed out by the twilight.

It looks like this sketch below, "as seen through binoculars."

I tried to draw the comet's brightness, as accurately as I could. I can't emphasize how faint it really is. Those who remember Hale-Bopp in the 90's, this is nowhere close to that in terms of brightness. HB was easily visible, to the naked eye, even in the city.

Good luck!
20200719_013426.jpeg
20200719_013507.jpeg

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I can not comprehend how people aren't interested in anything astronomy related lol. I'm stuck working up north where it's light out till 11:30 at night and I'm stressing that I won't be able to see it before I get back home

I actually am interested in it but I'm not in a good area to see these things. I've tried to watch meteor showers and there is just too much light saturation.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Will it be visible in the morning hours before sunrise? Where should I look if so? I'm in a great place to watch (not a lot of light) but I get up around 0330 for morning shifts so I'm in bed by sunset

Posts and likes are not mine.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's really low on the horizon right now, and I'm fighting twilight and clouds. Haven't seen it yet.

However, it's right under the Big Dipper, so it has to be easy to find. I guessing I'll see it this week! I'd recommend using binoculars. Just find that last bottom corner star of the Big Dipper, and slowly pan down. Another technique is to find a tree or building, that lines up with that star using your eye, then pan up!

This picture really makes it easy to locate. Good luck!View attachment 1652579
Thanks for that great graphic.

It should be closest to earth mid next week...the above pic shows ya where ya gonna look...after 10pm est
Thanks for the tip. Tonight might be cloudy, but tomorrow night should be clear. I'll give it a whirl with my binoculars.

Users who are viewing this thread