Going for a rebuild, teksid time

94slowbra1

Established Member
So the time has finally come for a better bottom end. I know these factory blocks take a beating but mine just wasn't up to the 24lbs of boost any more. Long story short, I went for a cam install and cylinder #4 had 2 bent valves and a bunch of marks on the top of the piston and the skirt. It was a reman shortblock so it's already .20 over so instead of going .30 I just decided it was time to do a build.
I picked up a 97 teksid about a year ago so that will be my base. My crank and rods are perfect so those will be reused with new arp hardware. Going to go as small as I can on the bores with a 9.5/1 compression. Heads will be my dB castings with whatever work is needed to get them back to spec. I already have custom spec'd cams from Todd W so those will be used too.

Other parts I either have or will be getting:
Arp everything
IW balancer with integrated metco hub
Boundry gt500 oil pump
All the teksid upgrade parts
New gaskets and bearings

That's the bulk of it. If anyone has suggestions please let me know. If not you can follow along as it gets done. I don't have a hp number in mind. Prior to this I was making in the neighborhood of 800 on the gen 4 crusher on 24lbs. The only real hp mods will be the cams and the compression. The rest just supports them.

This is in the very beginning and will probably go slow so don't expect this to be updated everyday. I'm also on a "budget" unlike so of you svtp ballers so I can't go all out. I want parts that work and will hopefully stay together.

As always comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks for following guys!
received_252135336531071.jpeg
received_254259362816865.jpeg

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Sounds like it’s going to be a good build! Good call staying as close to stock piston size as possible.
What fuel will it be running on?

94slowbra1

Established Member
Sounds like it’s going to be a good build! Good call staying as close to stock piston size as possible.
What fuel will it be running on?

On pump e70 currently. Assuming we continue to have that then that's what this combo will be on

Sucks you have to rebuild but its exciting at the same time!

going to be a monsterrrrrr

Not sure my wife is "excited" but I'm ready.
I hope so. It's going to be a long road I'm sure but will be worth it when it's done.

holiks03cobra

Established Member
Minus the cams and crusher, this is a similar build to my last motor. Made about 800rw. Had a rod snap on the dyno so I’m building another and hopefully the last build. This one will have fox lake ported heads, warren cams and depending if I can reuse the pistons either 9.5:1 or 10.5:1 compression.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Awesome man, i torqued my ARP head studs to about 80, i hear you should do 85. I have a teksid with a 3.4 on 27 pounds with e85 and 9.5 Gibtecs so pretty similar build, i saved every part number and torque spec for everything so if you have and q's just ask. You've got cams which is the only thing i wish i had done but no biggy. You're gonna LOVE it, the cams crisp things up, i almost wish i had done 10:1.

94slowbra1

Established Member
Minus the cams and crusher, this is a similar build to my last motor. Made about 800rw. Had a rod snap on the dyno so I’m building another and hopefully the last build. This one will have fox lake ported heads, warren cams and depending if I can reuse the pistons either 9.5:1 or 10.5:1 compression.
I'm not doing any head work that doesn't need to be done. Obviously a clean up and some new valves but I hope that's it.

Awesome man, i torqued my ARP head studs to about 80, i hear you should do 85. I have a teksid with a 3.4 on 27 pounds with e85 and 9.5 Gibtecs so pretty similar build, i saved every part number and torque spec for everything so if you have and q's just ask. You've got cams which is the only thing i wish i had done but no biggy. You're gonna LOVE it, the cams crisp things up, i almost wish i had done 10:1.
Compression is still up in the air. I'm not looking for all out here, just a combo that works well, makes some power, and hopefully stays together.

Do a flat top piston, not dished since you're running e85. No reason to run low compression.
In you opinion what compression should I be looking for? This thing is mainly street driven, only been to the track once

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
In you opinion what compression should I be looking for? This thing is mainly street driven, only been to the track once
With e85, you will want to run no less than 10.5:1 compression. With a standard flat top piston, you'll be just a hair over that and that is perfect. Do not be scared of compression, it will be reliable and make more power which is the best of both worlds. Ask Todd and he'll tell you the same thing.

MG0h3

Established Member
There we go.

No reason not to.

Compression equals cylinder pressure.

Boost equals cylinder pressure.

Both do the same. Make power.

You’ll have more power across the curve with more static compression. It’s literally a math problem.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

94slowbra1

Established Member
Bringing my teksid to the builder tomorrow to make sure it's good to use. If he gives me the ok then we will start ordering parts and getting the block ready to build. Hopefully he gives me the green light, I really don't want to go more that .10 over

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Bringing my teksid to the builder tomorrow to make sure it's good to use. If he gives me the ok then we will start ordering parts and getting the block ready to build. Hopefully he gives me the green light, I really don't want to go more that .10 over
Tell him you want to bore it the very minimum amount to make it good because you'll be ordering a custom size piston.

94slowbra1

Established Member
That's the plan. I'll let him see how far over it needs to go. From what I van see it doesn't look like it needs much

94slowbra1

Established Member
So my teksid is good to go, builder says possibly with just a hone. Will have to clean it up to see but .10 over max, so that's good news.
Will start ordering parts this week. Going with arp2000 everything. Reusing the factory crank and will reuse factory rods with arp bolt upgrade. Brand of piston is undecided right now, im leaving that up to the builder. I did tell him I wanted to stay around the 10:1 compression range. All upgrades will be done to the teksid. Factory ford gaskets on everything, except for the headers (remflex for my bassanis). King bearings. Boundry gears in a gt500 pump. Heads will be gone through, no porting or anything like that.
I'll be doing some other things while I have it apart. Deleting the oil cooler and relocating the filter. A/c and abs delete. Getting rid if the 7gal trunk tank and doing the 3gal underhood tank. Switching over to cobra engineering coolant crossover from on3. Doing a new head cooling mod, rear of heads. Adding a stewart water pump to help keep everything cool. And a few other odds and ends to help clean stuff up.
Definitely exciting yet scary to see how fast this stuff adds up. Should be a nice little combo when done. Hopefully I save some weight and clean up the bay a little too.
While it's down and I'm waiting on parts I'm going to fix and paint some parts in the bay and under the car. Figure I have the room now

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
Should do a wire tuck while it’s all out makes the engine bay so much cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

94slowbra1

Established Member
That was already done a few years back. I will have to rearrange some stuff I'm sure with relocation the oil filter and moving the big Stewart emp pump back up front. Buy the a/c is leaving so that should clear up some room

Users who are viewing this thread