Going to Nashville... where to stay, what to do, where to eat, etc?

Teal Terminator

Established Member
So I had a similar post to this a couple of months back but about going to San Antonio, TX. Well my wife and I changed our minds kinda last minute and booked a flight to Nashville, TN instead. We're not going until next Spring but we haven't booked a hotel yet and would like to before the end of the year.

I'm not necessarily looking for a specific hotel (but I'll take any input if you have a specific place in mind), more so just looking for a general area. Currently we're leaning towards staying "downtown" near Broadway, kind of around the Country Music Hall of Fame. I hear being in this area will allow walking distance to most of the night life and lots of restaurants etc. Or is down in that area too "party'ish" and would we be better off staying a little further out, like Vanderbilt area?

We will definitely take advantage of the night life in the area (eat, drink, live music, etc) but we're also interested in seeing other things too. Be that historical places, touring music studios or something like that, being outside and walking to interesting spots and so on. I don't yet if we'll have a rental car but I suspect we will... or at least for a couple days of the trip at a minimum. So if you have any recommendations of things to do that might be just outside the city or even an hour or two outside the city let me know.

Thanks for any input.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
If you want away from the "touristy" scene and not so high priced entertainment there are several great bars on Demonbreun St. It's closer to Vanderbuilt some good eatery around it and smaller local scene bars. It's also not far at all from downtown. 5 minute cab ride maybe (far enough you don't want to walk). not sure if you plan on renting a car or what If I remember right you can park there for free in some spots vs downtown everywhere is $20 minimum and extremely tight in areas.

Hotel wise though The Opry land would win my vote. It's unfortunately not downtown though. Prob 20min out with traffic. The Omni or Renaissance is probably 2nd on the list and is right there close to downtown.

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Opryland too far from downtown. Pricey but you won't beat the Omni or the Hilton for location or niceness of hotel. Both are right beside Country Music Hall of Fame. The Hilton is right beside the Bridgestone Arena and the Schermerhorn. It is also on Broadway which is the main drag. The Johnny Cash Museum is a street over and is pretty cool. Haven't been to the George Jones but heard it is good. Lots of cool things to see and do in Nashville without being too much of a red neck if that can be a bad thing.

firebird1999us

Established Member
My wife and I usually stay outside of downtown, drive about 5-10 miles in, and park. There is plenty of cheap parking so do your research and don't just pull into some random lot... because parking can get expensive in downtown. I think we stayed in Franklin? It was like $110-120 a night for a decent hotel like a hyatt or a radisson. Hotels downtown were really expensive - like $300 and way up during all the random weekends we tried to go. My wife and I were willing to save $150 for a 5-10 minute ride in the car.

Check out the Parthenon, The Mercy Lounge, tour the Ryman or if you have enough time catch a show (we're 3rd row back for Tedeschi Trucks in March!), the Opry... etc... WSM Midnight Ramble at Ernst Tubbs #2 if it's still around when you go. No shortage of places to hear bands in town. Grimey's Records is the best record place left in/just outside of town at this point. GO TO THE JOHNNY CASH MUSEUM!!!!! Excellent museum! About 100 times better than The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! Check out Third Man Records and make your own record in the booth (get close to the mic!), etc... We stopped by the bluebird cafe just to say we went - you'll need to get tickets to that way ahead of time so keep an eye on the website and buy immediately when they go on sale! Hatch Show Print is cool too if you're into concert posters. And of course Vandy has a nice campus.

Just outside of town - Bricktops restaurant is phenomenal! If you're planning on the Cafe Loveless SHOW UP WHEN THEY OPEN! Or else you'll be in line for like 3 hours for decent but not incredible food...

I want to visit Jacks BBQ and Roberts Western World when we're back up there.

Last edited:

Teal Terminator

Established Member
Thanks for all the info firebird.

What exactly do you want to do when you are here?

That's kind of what we're trying to figure out. ;) But seriously... eat, drink, check out some music and different bars/venues, "sight-see" (cool areas/streets/places), maybe some museums/historical stuff (lower on my list), and then anything else that might be fun that is Nashville'esque. This is an anniversary trip, so just looking to enjoy some time with the wife, free of work, kid, life. We'll be there in early Spring if that makes any difference as to what you or anyone else recommends.

EYG03COBRA

Established Member
Check to see who is playing at the Ryman Auditorium when your there. Very cool place!

This past year we saw Lynsey Sterling (Electric Violinist) play....My wife wanted to see her. It turned out to be an awesome show! She does the Assassin Creed theme song.

HandBanana

Established Member
Honky Tonk Central, slap some hot girl on the ass and then high tail it to midtown to Losers where the MASSIVE chested, hot blonde bartender will set you up with some local brews. Then finish the night at Santa's pub and grab some greasy food from Cafe CoCo on your way home to the Omni. Done.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was in Nashville about 10 years ago. I wish it was closer because we loved it. So much to do! Downtown Nashville is surely a must. We loved Opryland. The Gaylord Opryland Resort was awesome. Busy area, but fun and lots to see. The atrium view rooms are best. Just a personal favorite, hotel wise. Trust me, you'll find lots to do there. You'll probably wish you had more time there.

If you can, take lots of photos and post a few here. :)

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Parthenon and Ryman definitely a must. If you want to drive a little you can go to Lynchburg and tour Jack Daniels. There are all kinds of music venues around the downtown area. Not strictly country either. I am sure whatever you decide it will be a good memory.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I love living in Nashville. Lower Broad is a thing you should do, it is touristy. For drinks, if you like cocktails, Skulls Rainbow Room, Patterson House, Amaris are all good. George Jones Museum was fun. There are a ton of good food places. McNamaras, Loveless, Monells, Watermark, The Pharmacy, Cabanas. To see, Parthenon, Cheekwood, Mercy Lounge, Tin Roof on Demonbruen on Tuesday Nights has a "Revival" which is upcoming singers that kill it! I have friends here that have great groups/bands.

firebird1999us

Established Member
Parthenon and Ryman definitely a must. If you want to drive a little you can go to Lynchburg and tour Jack Daniels. There are all kinds of music venues around the downtown area. Not strictly country either. I am sure whatever you decide it will be a good memory.

Seriously the Parthenon was so cool... especially the historical aspect where it was originally constructed as a temporary structure. The pictures and museum dedicated to that were awesome!

matthayn

COBRO TO 5.BRO
Established Member
Honky Tonk Central, slap some hot girl on the ass and then high tail it to midtown to Losers where the MASSIVE chested, hot blonde bartender will set you up with some local brews. Then finish the night at Santa's pub and grab some greasy food from Cafe CoCo on your way home to the Omni. Done.

Lol game plan on point. I can second Losers, been there and had a good time.

Blackness03

Established Member

Santa's Pub? haha we went there. Don't remember much about it because it was like 3am but I recall a double wide trailer back in the woods painted camo and a guy who looked like santa clause.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just curious. Would you possibly visit San Antonio in the future? My wife and I went there on vacation once and enjoyed River Walk a lot. But for sure there is more to do/see in Nashville. You're going to have a great time there.

Users who are viewing this thread