good glass polish

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
My wife's jeep was purchased back in January. I now have the time and the weather to polish the glass. Originally the windshield was supposed to be replaced so when I purchased the vehicle I wasn't concerned about the glass as I thought it be new, instead they half assed repaired a chip but that is another story.

So anyways now I am trying to get specs of the windshield likely caused by sand or some other medium. I know how to polish so I just need a good recommendation on something to order for the glass. I am placing an order soon with Autogeek so please recommend me something they carry.

I do not expect new glass, just an improvement as it bothers me being a perfectionist.

redrocket16

Established Member
What are you trying to polish out of glass? Glass is a whole different monster than paint/clearcoat. Is it something that clay could get out?

Tispho

Established Member
If there are swirls or wiper scratches in glass. You need to purchase a cerium oxide kit to cut it out.

Last edited:

Never_Enough

Established Member
I have used Klasse all-in-one with good success. Works on trim, glass, paint, etc etc

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
Has anyone polished out etched/pitted glass, not severe but moderate...I really do not know where it comes from, but I got it on my GT and going to tackle that this summer.

Chewy

Established Member
Pitted = Severe

Pitting is actually a less severe case of chips which means that there is a void in the glass structure. No amount of poliishing can correct this.

That being said, you also mentioned that the surface is etched as well. Can you explain this further. What have you tried using to correct it? What piece of glass is it on? Windshield, side glass, quarter or back glass...All of them? If it's on the windshield, is it all over the entire section, or just the area where the wipers don't rub accross?

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
Pitted = Severe

Pitting is actually a less severe case of chips which means that there is a void in the glass structure. No amount of poliishing can correct this.

That being said, you also mentioned that the surface is etched as well. Can you explain this further. What have you tried using to correct it? What piece of glass is it on? Windshield, side glass, quarter or back glass...All of them? If it's on the windshield, is it all over the entire section, or just the area where the wipers don't rub accross?

MBwithPitsinGlass01.jpg

This is what my mustang looks like in that type of sun light, its not chipped, but like etching/pitted.

Found a write up...

How to remove tiny pinhole pits in glass windows using a rotary buffer - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
That looks like road rash on windows. Its common to see in the mid west where driving down interstates results in a lot of sand blasting. Unlike paint when glass is removed....IE pin HOLE DOTS...no amount of polishing will remove it. My windshield on my truck is the same way. Even after cleaning it and treating the window...when the sun hits it, it looks terrible.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
That looks like road rash on windows. Its common to see in the mid west where driving down interstates results in a lot of sand blasting. Unlike paint when glass is removed....IE pin HOLE DOTS...no amount of polishing will remove it. My windshield on my truck is the same way. Even after cleaning it and treating the window...when the sun hits it, it looks terrible.

that really sucks, I would hate to replaced the windshield because of road rash...I don't know if the dude in the write up saved the glass or not.

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
that really sucks, I would hate to replaced the windshield because of road rash...I don't know if the dude in the write up saved the glass or not.

I do not think Mike P in that write up did. Thats why he did not put anything up close of the window after. Its very easy to clean up the windshield and really bring out the clarity. But unlike paint, once you remove glass there is no way to get it back.

Users who are viewing this thread