Good info on swapping an LS1 T56 into our cars?

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
Anyone know where to go for this. Believe it or not, you can't hardly search any boards(I'm also a member on -gasp- LS1tech!) with "T56" or "LS1" because the words are too dadgum short. But I found a good example of one in the back of the shop today to my amazement.

Tremec verified the model over the phone. For a swap you'd need a new bellhousing, input shaft, tailhousing to move the shifter foward, and adapter plate I think.

S5030695.gif

sc98cbra

Established Member
I always thought mustang t56 and ls1 t56 were the same. Maybe I was wrong. If I'm right, the swap is pretty straight forward.

KazooGS-T

Established Member
It would be much easier and probably a good bit more cost effective to just swap in a mustang t56; assuming that is everything you have to do.

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
No one has ever done this in the history of man apparently. Which is weird because they make the swap parts.

Helomech74

Established Member
Well for starters, you would need a new bellhousing, new front cover, mustang specific input shaft (something with a 2.66 first gear) in either 10 spline, or 26spline. You would also need a new tailshaft housing as well to correctly locate the shifter (get one for a mechanical speedo car if this is going in anything up to model year 98).

I'm not sure what the spline count on the LS1 T56 output shaft is, but it may need to be changed as well to match the correct tailshaft housing (not positive on this one.)

Basically, by the time you spend the money on all the parts to make that LS1 version work, you can just buy the correct t56 for a mustang.

Bullitt66

Adiccted SVT Poster
Established Member
Well for starters, you would need a new bellhousing, new front cover, mustang specific input shaft (something with a 2.66 first gear) in either 10 spline, or 26spline. You would also need a new tailshaft housing as well to correctly locate the shifter (get one for a mechanical speedo car if this is going in anything up to model year 98).

I'm not sure what the spline count on the LS1 T56 output shaft is, but it may need to be changed as well to match the correct tailshaft housing (not positive on this one.)

Basically, by the time you spend the money on all the parts to make that LS1 version work, you can just buy the correct t56 for a mustang.
the output shaft of the t56 ls1/lt1 & 4l60e is the same as the ford t56

Last edited:

Helomech74

Established Member
If the output shaft is the same, then all you would need is a new tailshaft housing to correctly position the shifter assembly. You don't need a custom driveshaft or anything, just get an 03/04 Aluminum piece along with the larger pinion flange out of the terminator.

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
I talked a while back with Joe from 6 speed inc about this and he said the easiest way to do it is to do the ls1 swap with the ls t56 and then just get a mustang t56 shifter base(i cannot remember the exact name of this part), which will locate the shifter in the stock position.

tt54l32v

Established Member
wonder if you could get a ford one and swap sixth gear out for the gm one and leave the taller first gear still ?

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I would assume the trans itself would be cheaper to get as there are way more f-bodies running around then 03-04 cobras that all go for a premium

Helomech74

Established Member
Why would you want a 2.66 first gear with an n/a B headed motor?

The point I was making is that the LS T56 has a 2.66 first gear, so in order to swap to a Ford specific input shaft it would have to be one from Ford T56 that used the same 2.66 first gear. Unless of course he wants to swap out all the 1-4 gears.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The point I was making is that the LS T56 has a 2.66 first gear, so in order to swap to a Ford specific input shaft it would have to be one from Ford T56 that used the same 2.66 first gear. Unless of course he wants to swap out all the 1-4 gears.

I'm transmission illiterate, thanks for cleaing that up.:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread