Good Machine shops around Atlanta?

1/4MILEMUSTANG

wish I was fast
Established Member
Are there any good machine shops in the Atlanta area that will machine modulars? We hopefully will be moving to Alpharetta and need to get my ducks in a row before I move the shop out there. Also would like to know about the local car scene,local forums etc.... Thanks in advance!

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
Only local domestic forum...which is somewhat dead...slowly coming back...but still somewhat dead is Muscle Car Evolution . Not many other local forums. For a machine shop, I think the biggest name is Proline. They do A LOT of peoples motors.

As for the car scene...well moving to Alpharetta you hit the jackpot. First Sunday of every month starting at 8am, 7am if you want a good parking spot, is Caffeine and Octane. A very large car meet that has anything and everything. Generally in the cold months about 400-600 cars show up and during the summer...800-900 cars.

1/4MILEMUSTANG

wish I was fast
Established Member
wow.. So its safe to say the car scene is strong. lol

I forgot about Proline being out there. I think they will do machine work without assembly. I know they machine modulars cause ive had a few of their motors come through my shop. I guess we are gonna head out and look at houses this coming weekend.

do they have emissions in that area?

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
wow.. So its safe to say the car scene is strong. lol

I forgot about Proline being out there. I think they will do machine work without assembly. I know they machine modulars cause ive had a few of their motors come through my shop. I guess we are gonna head out and look at houses this coming weekend.

do they have emissions in that area?

Yep. That county is an emissions county.

Not a clue on if Proline does any assembly. But the car scene, its not that its strong, that is just a very popular monthly meet. Since its early enough to keep the kids away and in a good location that you will have a mass assortment of cars there.

1/4MILEMUSTANG

wish I was fast
Established Member
your talking about proline racing engines correct?

Emmissions is gonna be a problem cause none of my cars would pass a sniffer

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
your talking about proline racing engines correct?

Emmissions is gonna be a problem cause none of my cars would pass a sniffer

Correct.

As for the Emissions, only Hall and Barrow county are the ones I know of that do not require emissions. But those counties are not near Alpharetta. If your cars do not pass a sniffer...your going to have a little bit of trouble getting a tag. lol

Or you get lucky and go find a dive style emissions place that does not sniff. Unless your cars are older than '96. Then your back to sol.

1/4MILEMUSTANG

wish I was fast
Established Member
Correct.

As for the Emissions, only Hall and Barrow county are the ones I know of that do not require emissions. But those counties are not near Alpharetta. If your cars do not pass a sniffer...your going to have a little bit of trouble getting a tag. lol

Or you get lucky and go find a dive style emissions place that does not sniff. Unless your cars are older than '96. Then your back to sol.

cars are an 03 & 06. ill be depressed if i cant cruise them cause no tags. lol

PhoenixGT09

"I Like the Tuna Here."
Established Member
cars are an 03 & 06. ill be depressed if i cant cruise them cause no tags. lol

Welcome to Alpharetta, GA if you end up moving here! I grew up there since '94 and it's an extremely nice area. You'll love it. There are TONS of business parks perfectly setup for having race-shops up in the Cumming, GA (yep, real city name) area along HWY 9 and the back roads up there, which is not far from Alpharetta at all. It'd be nice to have a nice, reliable, performance shop up here in the North area. :beer:

As far as emissions goes here in GA... it's easy, really. I have an '03 Terminator with zero cats or anything emissions related and it passes every year just fine anywhere I go. As long as the CEL (Check Engine Light) is not lit up on your dash, then you're good to go! They only plug into your diagnostic port here, check your gas-cap for an air-tight fit, let it idle and then you're on your way. Simple. You'll be more than fine. :coolman:

And yes, Caffeine & Octane is awesome, everything and anything shows up there. As far as the car scene goes, I wish it was a lot stronger. We have tried to have several meets and cruises and what-nots, but it seems that everyone around here are flakes. We had one really good one so far and I'm still waiting for the next one (ahem, ahem...).

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
Welcome to Alpharetta, GA if you end up moving here! I grew up there since '94 and it's an extremely nice area. You'll love it. There are TONS of business parks perfectly setup for having race-shops up in the Cumming, GA (yep, real city name) area along HWY 9 and the back roads up there, which is not far from Alpharetta at all. It'd be nice to have a nice, reliable, performance shop up here in the North area. :beer:

As far as emissions goes here in GA... it's easy, really. I have an '03 Terminator with zero cats or anything emissions related and it passes every year just fine anywhere I go. As long as the CEL (Check Engine Light) is not lit up on your dash, then you're good to go! They only plug into your diagnostic port here, check your gas-cap for an air-tight fit, let it idle and then you're on your way. Simple. You'll be more than fine. :coolman:

And yes, Caffeine & Octane is awesome, everything and anything shows up there. As far as the car scene goes, I wish it was a lot stronger. We have tried to have several meets and cruises and what-nots, but it seems that everyone around here are flakes. We had one really good one so far and I'm still waiting for the next one (ahem, ahem...).

Yeah, I was meaning if he had to pass via the sniffer. Luckily I have never had a problem with cat-less off road style exhaust. All those low budget looking places never check. As long as it passes on the computer and the gas cap your good to go. But if you go to a nice one that does it all by the book...then yeah, your not passing.

As Phoenix said...Alpharetta is a real nice area. Everything from the Verizon Amphitheater, Andrettis Go Karts and a number of performance shops. Your set. I will hopefully be moving into a building off Hwy 9 next year once my current lease is up.

Now speaking of which, what type of shop do you have? Are you relocating your business/shop to Alpharetta?

1/4MILEMUSTANG

wish I was fast
Established Member

So they dont do a visual inspection and even if the pcm has a tune on it with the rear o2's shut off its all good? my 06 has a fuel cell in it but i guess i can put a dummy gas cap in it.
we are looking at Cummings and roswell also. Basically just trying to find a house with a detached shop or enough land to build one but thats provig to be a challenge so far.

withbproline there i would feel comfortable having stuff machied by them. Machi e shops out here were all scared to machine modulars and ended up buying most the stuffnlike torque plates etc... for kuntz to use so i could get my motors machined. Do you by chance know if there is anyone with cnc machines that i could transfer my cnc cylinder head programs to anywhere out there?

1/4MILEMUSTANG

wish I was fast
Established Member
Yeah, I was meaning if he had to pass via the sniffer. Luckily I have never had a problem with cat-less off road style exhaust. All those low budget looking places never check. As long as it passes on the computer and the gas cap your good to go. But if you go to a nice one that does it all by the book...then yeah, your not passing.

As Phoenix said...Alpharetta is a real nice area. Everything from the Verizon Amphitheater, Andrettis Go Karts and a number of performance shops. Your set. I will hopefully be moving into a building off Hwy 9 next year once my current lease is up.

Now speaking of which, what type of shop do you have? Are you relocating your business/shop to Alpharetta?

I specialize in porting and competition engine assembly, fabrication,suspension setup etc.. I use to do a bunch of the ford pushrod and LS based stuff but the last several years i have really gotten heavy into the modulars. I moved my business to AR from NM 3 years ago and now my wife has a good opportunity with her work and they will pay for our relocation. It was a pain to relocate the business before but as long as it would be worth it business wise then I will restart the business out there in GA. I have been researching GA tax codes,regulations etc... for small businesses like mine. AR suffocates businesses with ridiculous amounts of taxes and such so if GA isnt like that then it will be a good opportunity for me as well. Ive been doing the gig for 14 years so id like to stick in the field whether it be my own shop or working for someone else.

PhoenixGT09

"I Like the Tuna Here."
Established Member
So they dont do a visual inspection and even if the pcm has a tune on it with the rear o2's shut off its all good? my 06 has a fuel cell in it but i guess i can put a dummy gas cap in it.
we are looking at Cummings and roswell also. Basically just trying to find a house with a detached shop or enough land to build one but thats provig to be a challenge so far.

withbproline there i would feel comfortable having stuff machied by them. Machi e shops out here were all scared to machine modulars and ended up buying most the stuffnlike torque plates etc... for kuntz to use so i could get my motors machined. Do you by chance know if there is anyone with cnc machines that i could transfer my cnc cylinder head programs to anywhere out there?

Yup. As long as the check engine light isn't lit up on your dash and there are no other error codes, you're good to go, no physical inspection of tires, lights, mirrors, etc... not yet at least. I'm not sure how the dummy gas cap would work, because it's more of a pressurization test, to see if the cap is air-tight. If there's no filler-neck behind the cap leading to an enclosed tank/cell, then I'm not sure how that would work out :shrug:

Not sure about the CNC programs either, buddy. Maybe someone else will chime in.

I specialize in porting and competition engine assembly, fabrication,suspension setup etc.. I use to do a bunch of the ford pushrod and LS based stuff but the last several years i have really gotten heavy into the modulars. I moved my business to AR from NM 3 years ago and now my wife has a good opportunity with her work and they will pay for our relocation. It was a pain to relocate the business before but as long as it would be worth it business wise then I will restart the business out there in GA. I have been researching GA tax codes,regulations etc... for small businesses like mine. AR suffocates businesses with ridiculous amounts of taxes and such so if GA isnt like that then it will be a good opportunity for me as well. Ive been doing the gig for 14 years so id like to stick in the field whether it be my own shop or working for someone else.

I think it'd definitely be worth it out here, especially if you get your name well-known around these areas, people are always looking for a reputable shop to go to for anything/ everything. I'm sure 'transaxle' can better describe the small business gigs here in GA, he's got one himself. The Roswell area would be really tough, for everything. Cumming would be your best bet for land, housing, race-shop, business, etc you'd get more for your $$ up there, very nice area that's coming along too... :beer:

1/4MILEMUSTANG

wish I was fast
Established Member
Awesome. my wife and i will be cruising out there soon to look at houses.

Do they take the gas cap off and check it by its self or do they also hook something up to the filler neck as well? I guess I can weld a plate onto the the end of the filler neck to seal it up, but if they check the fuel tank evap system i dont know how ill do that cause all that stuff is taken off. I have all the software to tune my cars and can turn off the cel so that puts me at ease. lol

Last edited:

PhoenixGT09

"I Like the Tuna Here."
Established Member
Awesome. my wife and i will be cruising out there soon to look at houses.

Do they take the gas cap off and check it by its self or do they also hook something up to the filler neck as well? I guess I can weld a plate onto the the end of the filler neck to seal it up, but if they check the fuel tank evap system i dont know how ill do that cause all that stuff is taken off.

They take the gas cap off of your car, and re-install a gas cap that's rigged up with a vacuum test line and sensor to your vehicle while it's idling to make sure there are no leaks... so again, because they do this while your car is running idling and they are testing for pressure/vacuum leaks/etc, I'm not sure how the welding of a plate to the filler neck will help because that will literally lead to there being "no vacuum" in your system that they are trying to test because it will be completely be sealed-off. Again, I'm not sure. They do not check the evap. canisters and other evap. stuff either.

1/4MILEMUSTANG

wish I was fast
Established Member
Sounds like a possible build thread coming. I would like to see the results of this. lol

I believe you are correct! lol. How is the commute to Alpharetta from Cummings in rush hour? How is Cummings in general for operating a small business? Do they tax every breath you take as a business owner? Out here where I am they tax you on your lease payment,charge you personal property taxes on anything you use to operate your business like tools,office equipment etc...,tax you a use tax on products you have shipped into the state from out of state vendors to resale. Thats just a few of the taxes out here. i have been researching business taxes for GA but havent had a whole lot of luck finding all the info. Sorry for all the questions.
I signed up on MCE d its a nice site wt a good list of vendors/sponsors but you were right about no traffic through there!

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
I've always had them check for cats using a mirror on a stick. You could always rig up and empty shell and weld it on there to get past that.

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
I believe you are correct! lol. How is the commute to Alpharetta from Cummings in rush hour? How is Cummings in general for operating a small business? Do they tax every breath you take as a business owner? Out here where I am they tax you on your lease payment,charge you personal property taxes on anything you use to operate your business like tools,office equipment etc...,tax you a use tax on products you have shipped into the state from out of state vendors to resale. Thats just a few of the taxes out here. i have been researching business taxes for GA but havent had a whole lot of luck finding all the info. Sorry for all the questions.
I signed up on MCE d its a nice site wt a good list of vendors/sponsors but you were right about no traffic through there!

If your in the suburbs of Cummings and going to Alpharetta...then back roads should be fine. Hwy, would not be recommend as 400 is terrible south bound in the morning. I dont think much differs between counties other than how much they charge you each year for your license, which generally is not much and what building/zoning requirements they allow. As for taxes...I only pay once a year...I hate letting someone else hold my money. Generally its just end of the year state/fed taxes. If your selling stuff, the only taxes you would have is the .06% state sales tax, which you charge in the goods. Then for employee's you either do one year or quarterly withholding tax. As for that...I cannot think of what else they tax on. Hell its only $100 to set up a business name with the Sec of State. As for the shipping...no idea. I do not carry inventory and only resale if someone is looking for something specific.

So yeah...GA doesnt carry much info...the only real place you can look is the Sec of State website. Past there...there is not much involved with getting a business license...other than Sec of State, FID and county license. That would make you legal to operate a business in the state/county.

MCE is slowly coming back...but for a site that was started from a car club back in 2007...its still doing well. Most of the local boards are dead anyways. I think that is the way of local forums. Only national forums are keeping traffic...but even then they are slowing down.

I've always had them check for cats using a mirror on a stick. You could always rig up and empty shell and weld it on there to get past that.

Next time you need emissions, go to the emissions/car wash place right there at Gravel Springs and Braslton Hwy behind where the old Winn-Dixie. For years my brother and I went there with our mustangs and they never checked. They just scan and plug in the gas cap. Thats it. lol

PhoenixGT09

"I Like the Tuna Here."
Established Member

Really? I've never had that happen to me once yet. I've seen the broom handle with the mirror attached to it sitting there to the side, but have never had it used on me before. I can just tell them that my MAC pro-chamber is a "hi-flow cat" :lol:

The commute is extremely easy going from South to North in the morning on GA-400 in that area. Only a few exits up, literally. Same thing for the afternoons. Tons of back roads and shortcuts too. Oh, and it's just Cumming. No 's'. Yep, just like what you're thinking :D

Users who are viewing this thread