Got a quote on replacing my clutch

Islandcat

Established Member
Guys,

My clutch went out recently on my 2009 gt500. I ordered a spec ss clutch, and I called the shop that I usually deal with about installing it. They quoted me 500 dollars. Does that seem like a good price? I have no idea what it costs so I can use some opinions on this.

Van@RevanRacing

Guys,

My clutch went out recently on my 2009 gt500. I ordered a spec ss clutch, and I called the shop that I usually deal with about installing it. They quoted me 500 dollars. Does that seem like a good price? I have no idea what it costs so I can use some opinions on this.

That's a very fair price for installing a clutch. Just make sure you get it in writing. What's their labor rate per hour and how many hours are they estimating? Are they going off of book time or SWAG? (Some Wild Ass Guess) :beer:

Islandcat

Established Member
Every time I have dealt with them, they just give a flat rate( 100 to instal shifter, 600 to buy and install gears ) so if they tell me it's 500 then it will be 500 plus tax. Also, they said it would be 70 dollars extra if they had to machine the flywheel? I told them that a new flywheel comes with the clutch. I am I correct on that van? I believe that is what you told me.

Van@RevanRacing

Every time I have dealt with them, they just give a flat rate( 100 to instal shifter, 600 to buy and install gears ) so if they tell me it's 500 then it will be 500 plus tax. Also, they said it would be 70 dollars extra if they had to machine the flywheel? I told them that a new flywheel comes with the clutch. I am I correct on that van? I believe that is what you told me.

Yes, your kit is complete with a new billet aluminum Flywheel. They will not have to machine the flywheel.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Real good price. Didn't know you could tax labor. My brain is nit what it use to be for remembering

Ray Lucca

Established Member
You are getting a great Clutch, and the install $ sounds very fair. In Ca. only the parts are taxed, not the labor.... So far.... Just started taxing internet purchases about a month ago... Grrr...

Islandcat

Established Member
Ok thanks guys. And I am pretty sure they tax labor in Louisiana, but I could be wrong. I will let y'all know. And to the guy that asked for the price, I got it from van. I believe I paid 1300 for clutch, and 230 for a master cylinder kit? It was 1559 total I believe and free shipping.

stsltd

Established Member
Paid $600 to have the exact same kit ( Thanks Van!) installed - so good price and I predict that you will be very pleased with the new clutch

Dave

fullboogie

Established Member
Maybe I'm getting old, but I'd pay $500 in a heartbeat. My days of bench pressing a transmission into place are over.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I think 500 seems fair. I would have to pull what my local dealer charged me when swapping mine out. You will love the clutch and of course van's good ole customer service if you have any questions.

If you don't mind asking who will be doing install?

Islandcat

Established Member
Dick barker Lincoln in Houma. I was put on to them by a guy on here ( I believe it is cuzz99 something I forgot his exact user name). I have been getting them to do my last couple of things on my car. They seem like they are good on price and they are ford mechanics so its all good I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread