Got beat BAD!!!

tony_03COBRA

Established Member
Coming home lastnight and 2 or 3 guys in a buick gnx got next to me. They were all yelling stuff and saying "How long has it been since you got beat." I just shook my head. Well i decided to do it, and think i would take him. Well were rolling about 40, 3 honks are we go. I jump ahead a lil then all of a sudden he spools up or he wasnt flooring it one of the two, and he easily puts 2 too 3 cars of me. He was still pulling when I let off. All i have to say is that son-of-a-bitch was FAST!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope i run into him again in about 3-4weeks.HEHEHE. Anyone ever race a built one and beat it???

Pyro

Established Member
Do you have any mods? GNX's are pretty fast and faster then a "regular" GN. If I had a GNX, I dont know if I'd be driven it all that often as they are extremely rare and expensive.

In any case, nice death because those are nasty fast but God awful ugly IMO. I still like them though.

Orange Poison

Established Member
I'm sure he was heavily modded, if it was stock....you would have walked him.

Let's see who would win if you're chipped and pullied.

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
That just goes to show you can't win them all! :-D

Nice death! I think it's time to get some mods if you're still stock! An extra 100 RWHP and 130 LBS RWTQ will do you good.... :)

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Running fast turbo cars from a mid speed roll is just asking to be killed. Go from a stop.

Was it a Grand National or an actual GNX?

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Anyone care to elaborate what exactly makes a gnX over a vanilla GN? My girlfriend was asking me this the other day and I didn't know either...

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by JoeAsheville
Anyone care to elaborate what exactly makes a gnX over a vanilla GN? My girlfriend was asking me this the other day and I didn't know either...
From BuickGNX.com:

There is no difference internally between the 3.8 liter SFI Grand National engine and the GNX engine. Initially, there were plans to perform standard performance tricks like blueprint the motor assembly, but tests proved that wasn't necessary to achieve the goal.

For example, a port/polish job was considered. This would require a tear-down of a brand new engine, because Grand Nationals were delivered whole to ASC for the conversion. From start to finish, the process of removing the upper half of the engine and performing the machine work could easily be 50 hours of labor. Only to reassemble it and risk premature failure due to any error or defect in the process. Not to mention the cost.

It would be impractical to perform such precision modifications to 547 cars post-production in a short time frame. So, McLaren specified these external improvements:

Turbo- a modified T-3 turbo was used with a ceramic impeller wheel, which provides a lighter rotating assembly for quick spool-up and more efficient operation at higher boost. This led to concerns that rough (factory) wire-feed header welds might dislodge under stress and shatter the ceramic turbine wheel. They addressed this fear with a contamination trap on the turbine wheel which is unique to the GNX turbo. It looks like a "bump" on the exhaust side. Replacement GNX turbos DO NOT have the ceramic wheel, so be careful with your original.

The compressor A/R remains .60 and the turbo is equipped with an adjustable wastegate. The stock turbo cover was swapped out for a more attractive unit. Prototypes said "Buick Turbo" while the production units simply said "GNX".

Intercooler- the GNX intercooler has a slightly higher fin per area count, making it a little more efficient at removing heat from the air charge. Each intercooler contains a label from ASC/McLaren and an individual serial number.

ECM calibration- the GNX PROM contains a slightly improved calibration, which capitalizes on the more efficient components above. The maximum boost is increased to 15psi. Rumor has it that the GNX doesn't idle as smoothly as the stock calibration.

The oxygen sensor is upgraded to an AFS-22, which is able to tolerate more exhaust heat than a stock AFS-20. In development, McLaren had a stock O2 sensor break down and shatter a turbo (OUCH!). They attributed this to the higher exhaust gas temperature of the increased power, so they specified an Inconel oxygen sensor.

Intake pipe- the "up pipe" between the intercooler and throttle body is treated with a heat-resistant paint called "ceramatel" , which is supposed to protect the intake charge from engine compartment heat.

Louvers- the functional openings on each quarter panel (sometimes called Venti-Ports) were added to remove hot air from the engine compartment. The theory was to improve the efficiency of the intercooler. To accommodate these louvers, a set of relays on the driver's side needed to move off the side sheet metal to a custom bracket by the wiper motor. Rumor is that you can stick your hand out the window while driving and feel the heat coming out. Click here for a view through the louver into the engine compartment.

Exhaust- a custom 2-1/4" dual exhaust system was added to clear the new suspension cross member. Instead of the stock "crossflow" muffler, 2 separate small mufflers were used. This is also supposed to provide better performance, but based on the bends and peens they needed to clear the suspension, it may not be very significant. It does have a deeper tone. GNX owners have limited options finding a replacement because normal turbo regal exhausts will NOT clear the rear suspension.

Emissions certification- the emission control label, located on the air conditioner box, is applied over the factory Grand National label. The only difference is that the manufacturer is listed as "ASC" and not Buick. It's unclear whether this was a requirement or to circumvent some emission concern with the more powerful motor. The factory rating is 276hp@4400 and 360ft-lbs@2600 of torque, but in reality those figures are conservative. God bless America.

Transmission- the transmission is basically the same Turbo Hydramatic 200-4R as the Grand National except for some recalibration of the hydraulics. The shifts are noticeably firmer. There is no difference in the torque converter, however you can expect a little more stall speed from the stock D5 due to the increased torque. ASC added an aluminum transmission oil cooler in front of the radiator.

The differential gear remains stock at 8.5" 10-bolt with 3.42 gear ratio, but a new cover is put on to support the suspension improvements. This increases the gear lube capacity and makes it possbile to change the fluid without removing the torque arm.

The accepted times for production models were 0-60 in 5.3 seconds and quarter mile in 13.4 @ 104mph.

tony_03COBRA

Established Member
I think it was an actually gnx. I have a drop in airfilter, mac off-road H, and flowmaster catback. Just with the airfilter i had 389rwhp, so iam hoping iam over 400 with the exhaust. I will be getting it dynoed when i do my pulley, chip and the 60 shot. I'll let you guys know what i come up with.

95_LT1_Z

Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
Running fast turbo cars from a mid speed roll is just asking to be killed. Go from a stop.

Was it a Grand National or an actual GNX?

that would not be a good idea. if it beat you that bad from a roll it would be worse from a stop. gnx's get out of the hole FAST!!!!. they have special rear ends that when they stall the ass end rises and the noses gets pushed down. when they take off they just squat and then there gone. you probably came across the wrong gnx ie: upgraded turbo/fuel system/ etc. those cars are sick fast. with good tuning, upped boost easily a 12 sec car

Last edited:

jleews6

Established Member
Anybody with some racing and tuning skills can put a turbo Buick in the 11s for under a$1000.I have had 7 of them I will will let you in on a secret.There strongest point is from a stop(with good tires) or a 30 to 40 roll.Anything above a 60 roll and they dont do as good.
Next time try to get him to roll from 60 or so.

Good luck.:beer:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Hmmm...,

Went up against a GNX with ram air and I beat the living snot out of him (looked fairly modded -- large exhaust, upgraded suspension at least at the rear, larger tires, and I would assume the boost has been changed). I even toyed with him a little at first, then jammed the boost and away we went!

Funny thing is, mine is darn near stock (K & N special). But then again, the previous owner has his own performance shop so I could be mistaken. I guess I need to check the pulley sizes.

Here's the easy "victory" tally so far (I've only owned the Cobra a month):

1 Harley Fat Boy (looked like an older model; sounded horrible being pushed)
2 03 Cobras (not as fast as I thought they would be)
2 Modded early 90's Stang GT's (good runs though)
1 Corvette (not sure but it looked like the base model)
1 Nissan 300Z TT (ah nice car - should be for $40K+)
1 Suzuki Katana (not sure about the CC's)
1 1999 Cobra (I felt sorry for him - get a blower dude!)
1 87 GNX (see above)

What kills me is 3rd gear. For the life of me I have troubles with this one every time. Other than swapping out the shifter or removing bushings, are there any tricks on finding this gem a little easier?

Hermes

Established Member
I know the owner of that GNX. It is modified and has 700+ RWHP. He also owns several other sleepers which you don't want to bet against.

wolves

Established Member
A GNX with ram air was probably not a GNX, maybe a GN with some exterior mods. But could have been, but most GNXr's like to keep the exterior stock. A couple people nailed it on the head, from a stop, they are hard to beat. My friend has a GNX, $5000 in engine mods, both for performance and show, looks stock on the outside, pulling well over 600rwhp and can take most people from a stop, very nice combo.

03SLOBRA

Trollin aint easy
Established Member
tony_03COBRA, whare did this race happen? I know one guy with a modded GNX, he's got a GN too and a T-Type. Lives on the eastside, Roseville area, goes on Gratiot a lot.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
You may be right. I guess it would be easy to get the GNX emblems and trim for a GN. Not too sure though. Then again, I have seen other GNX owners in magazines with all kinds of external mods, including the oh so popular removal of the high beams for the CAI.

It's also an easy mod to do ram air on aftermarket fiberglass hoods, since the original hood can be safely removed and stored. I hear the plumbing can be tricky through the intercooler though. Less weight, easy mod. Might be a good idea for the snake.

:thumbsup:

Hermes

Established Member
Sorry gents, this car is a GNX but with a few "extras" that don't show to a casual (non-hood up) observer. Don't race on Gratiot or Woodward for cash with a "stock" GNX or you'll be paying for someone else's showcar mods. Beware the "Old Guys".

Users who are viewing this thread