Got bored today-2.9 Whipple inlet mod

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
I know this subject has been talked about a little bit, but there just seems to be no good evidence of results. Some say it helps, and some say there is nothing to be gained. A friend of mine had an extra inlet laying around so I figured lets do a little expiramenting. This inlet will be going on a full bolt on 2.9 Whipple E85 Cobra. It also has been modded to run a Dragon TB. We plan to run around 24 psi. I personally think we will see some sort of gain.

m7nn.jpg

lway.jpg

08sk.jpg

asr4.jpg

rjft.jpg

txnu.jpg

x203.jpg

[I
wh5i.jpg

MG]http://imageshack.us/a/img855/9598/6aho.jpg[/IMG]

I got a good start on it today. I'd like to get the back on it tomorrow if possible. I wanted to try and make it one big smooth radius all the way to the back of the compressor. If this does show a little promise, I plan on doing my personal inlet with another twist. It would be pretty much identical to this, but I will also change the angle of the TB mounting point. I am going to try and straighten it out so it's a straighter shot into the radius of the inlet.

Please tell me what you guys think of all this.

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
sure looks like it should make some sort of improvement, especially at that power/boost level.

YuGneLrn2Day

Established Member
I'd think you'll see some gains. Anytime you got more air coming threw is always a good thing, as long as you mods to support it. Which I see you do. Looking forward to see your gains :pop:

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Thanks for the compliments guys. Yes, this will end up getting polished. Hopefully our ol buddy Beav will polish it out!!

YuGneLrn2Day

Established Member
I have a feeling this is going to make some real good gains. I'm guessing 30-45HP/TQ gains with this mod. Put me down as the 1st, well 2nd after you to have one these made.

cj428mach

Established Member
If it works out you should consider doing this mod to stock whipple inlets and selling them. I think the crusher inlet is $1200+ so if you can modify them for less there would be a market for it.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
The dragon TB flows just shy of 1700cfm. The stock Whipple inlet has been flowed at 1000cfm.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
If it works out you should consider doing this mod to stock whipple inlets and selling them. I think the crusher inlet is $1200+ so if you can modify them for less there would be a market for it.

If this works I will consider modding these for people.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Got a good bit more done on it today. Now just need to finish up the detail stuff such as vacuum ports and IAC port/mount.

4xuy.jpg

p7lz.jpg

gkeh.jpg

4m1d.jpg

ORNGVENM

Established Member
Damn Sam, that looks good !! Those beads also look good that you did. Hope it does work out with the airflow. If it does, you will have your hands full doing that for other people, including me. And if you need a hand with the polishing, I would sure give it my best. Curious to see how the tumbler works. Might have to look into one for myself. You da man, Mastermind for sure !!!
Beav out.....

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
very nice work!

Thank you!

Damn Sam, that looks good !! Those beads also look good that you did. Hope it does work out with the airflow. If it does, you will have your hands full doing that for other people, including me. And if you need a hand with the polishing, I would sure give it my best. Curious to see how the tumbler works. Might have to look into one for myself. You da man, Mastermind for sure !!!
Beav out.....

Thanks Glen, I'm sure after you polish it, it will look every bit as good as a polished one right from Whipple.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Short turn radius needs help as well....hit that too....my buddy did this a few years ago on a 2.3

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Yes I thought of maybe messing with that too. Might do it on the next one. Don't want to get this one too chopped up. The short turn radius along with the angle of the tb can't be beneficial.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread