Got caught speeding

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
I strongly disagree. Do what others have suggested and find an traffic attorney who frequents the court where you've been directed to appear.

This could be pretty serious.

I said if he could avoid court, pay the fine. Of course if he is summoned to appear, he cannot avoid court and should arrive with his attorney.

302project

The Shelby or the Ranger?
Established Member
Really surprised it's only that much. Did he tell you 104 or is that what the ticket actually says?

I know in a lot of places double the speed limit is a huge jump but you're just under that.

Yeah that's what it says on the citation.

If you are presented a summons, hire a lawyer.

Counsel will guide you through what you need to do. I sat in court room in the backwoods of Virginia, anybody who was running at those kinds of speeds received the full measure of justice appropriate to their circumstances. Some just lost their licenses. I watch one lady who was accused on 105/65 go to jail for a year because of a 19 YO conviction for DUI, but a perfect record since.

If you get a lawyer, do exactly what they tell you do. Also get a lawyer who is in that traffic court on a regular basis.

BTW, were you polite, apologetic and honest to the officer?

Yeah, that's what I'm going end up doing. As a matter of fact when the officer showed up at my house he told me just that. And yes I was very polite, honest and apologetic to him. BTW the cop is nice as hell, he saw me getting my 5 month son out of the car (not the mustang) and we started talking about his and said that is not worth going that fast, I told him that even if he let me go I would never do this stupidity again in my life!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
For $369.. all this talk of lawyers is silly IMO.

Appear, tell judge you had extreme lapse in judgement, were late to work, whatever--simply ask for the ability to go to traffic school which they usually grant while explaining that you will happily pay the $369.

Done.

Truthfully if it were me, id just pay the fine and accept whatever happened with points on my record. My fault, pay the price.

Machdup1

Established Member
For $369.. all this talk of lawyers is silly IMO.

Appear, tell judge you had extreme lapse in judgement, were late to work, whatever--simply ask for the ability to go to traffic school which they usually grant while explaining that you will happily pay the $369.

Done.

Truthfully if it were me, id just pay the fine and accept whatever happened with points on my record. My fault, pay the price.
Here is some light reading reading on ehat OP is facing:

http://fightyourspeedingticket.com/thirty-miles-over-the-posted-speed-limit/

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely get a lawyer.

You'll pay the fine, but a good chance you won't get the points and other fun stuff that comes with a 30+ mpg ticket.

In my younger days, I got pulled over by FHP going 101* on the T-pike. Got a lawyer and they withheld adjudication.

quad

Established Member
Ok guys, the cop showed up at my house and waited for me to get home. He gave me the ticket and when I saw the fine I was a little relieved. It was $369.00 which is still a lot but way better than $1k. The one thing that worries me now is my insurance if it doesn't get dismissed which I don't think is going to happen. BTW he got me at 104.
Bummer man. I know it sucks. I once got pulled over about 10+ years ago after rushing to work and was only going about 40-45 in a 25 zone and could kick myself. Because I really would not have gotten to the office that much quicker anyway so it was just unnecessary on my part. I did not even have to be at the office at a specified time since I was working after hours. I just wanted to get there quick so I could work on my project.

When I was younger I got all hot and bothered when pulled over but have since changed my driving habits.

The cop was just doing his job and you actually got lucky considering for how much he clocked you. I think you should just pay it and move on if you have that option. Hopefully you are not summoned to court as others have mentioned. Your insurance will go up a bit for 2-3 years and after that get adjusted down again. Maybe once that happens you can get in touch with your agent to see if there is anything he can do to reduce it by changing your coverage, deductible etc. But I doubt it will go up much - maybe 10-15%. Yes that sucks but it is what it is.

quad

Established Member
I strongly disagree. Do what others have suggested and find an traffic attorney who frequents the court where you've been directed to appear.

This could be pretty serious.
And how much is the attorney going to cost? Don't they charge like $200 per hour??

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Definitely get a lawyer.

You'll pay the fine, but a good chance you won't get the points and other fun stuff that comes with a 30+ mpg ticket.

In my younger days, I got pulled over by FHP going 101* on the T-pike. Got a lawyer and they withheld adjudication.

Yep ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this! It's a complete no-brainer. Get a lawyer.

Too bad you aren't active or retired cop, then you NEVER woulda got ticket no matter how fast you were going. Around here they all have little FOP badges they put on their license plates on personal vehicles for themselves and family members, so they all get to use and abuse the system.

Good luck with this. Get a good lawyer.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Over a hundred on the ticket is serious business, get a lawyer like yesterday. Your insurance premiums for years will be impacted by that ticket as it stands now, you want that thing reduced. Find a lawyer with an office next to the court house, one that specializes in traffic and minor criminal, things like possession, and he's your guy, won't cost much and he'll get it reduced.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I don't know of anyone that's had that high of a ticket but everyone I know that's used ticket clinic around here basically paid roughly the ticket amount + court fees + attorneys fees. They didn't get any points and it stayed off their record all together. Most of the time the traffic guys don't charge like normal lawyers, they've got a pretty set fee based on what you've done. They go in and talk to the prosecutor they know very well by now and bargain everything down

I would not go in and just take it or your ass will be riding with the general for a couple years. Whatever it costs will have to be cheaper than the premium spike. Also there are a lot of jobs that check your driving record now, would suck to lose/not get a job over this

quad

Established Member
Over a hundred on the ticket is serious business, get a lawyer like yesterday. Your insurance premiums for years will be impacted by that ticket as it stands now, you want that thing reduced. Find a lawyer with an office next to the court house, one that specializes in traffic and minor criminal, things like possession, and he's your guy, won't cost much and he'll get it reduced.
This is good to know. My own personal experience is based on 15-25 over the speed limit not 50 or more. If a lawyer does not end up costing a ton of money it sounds like it is worth it to get one.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
You need to consult an lawyer. With a traffic related misdemeanor, you can be arrested for up to 1 year after the incident. At least get some advice and have him on standby. The worse time to look for a defense attorney is while you're in jail.

Gary Macomber

Established Member
Yep ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this! It's a complete no-brainer. Get a lawyer.

Too bad you aren't active or retired cop, then you NEVER woulda got ticket no matter how fast you were going. Around here they all have little FOP badges they put on their license plates on personal vehicles for themselves and family members, so they all get to use and abuse the system.

Good luck with this. Get a good lawyer.
Here in Miami the PD and HP were in a war with each other. It started when a FHP pulled over and arrested an officer in his squad car going 120+ and pretty much ended when a bunch of cars were covered in poop.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

DO NOT COME INTO THE DONUT SHOP AND ENCOURAGE SOMEBODY TO "MAKE UP AN EXCUSE" IN A COURT OF LAW. THIS HAD TO BE ONE OF THE MOST IGNORANT POSTS I HAVE EVER HAD TO DELETE.

IN FACT, DO NOT EVER POST IN THE DONUT SHOP AGAIN.

-SILVER03SVT

Last edited by a moderator:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Here in Miami the PD and HP were in a war with each other. It started when a FHP pulled over and arrested an officer in his squad car going 120+ and pretty much ended when a bunch of cars were covered in poop.

I think I know what you're talking about. FHP had every right to pull over that squad car. Officer should not have been driving that fast. Especially when he was off duty and using the company vehicle on his own time to get to another job or something like that. No lights or sirens.

Users who are viewing this thread