Got pulled into some car club group on FB

03CobraBro

Established Member
This is more of a rant than anything. I wouldn't say its quite smack down material but just needed to get this off my chest.

I'm really not the type of guy to hang out in large groups of people with similar interests unless I'm out putting a few back. I did the riding motorcycles in groups thing for awhile but at the end of the day it was all just the same high school atmosphere type of stuff so I eventually burnt out and moved on (still love riding though). I'd say about a month or so ago I wound up in a somewhat local car club group on Facebook through a friend that has a nice EVO. I didn't seek them out but my buddy just added me because he knew I had a couple decent cars in the fleet. Generally speaking if I go to a car show its just to look at peoples cars, maybe get some ideas, and that is usually the extent. I was going to remove myself but stuck around out of morbid curiosity. (Yes morbid if you saw some of these cars) It seems to be mostly guys with what I'd put lightly, dated or run of the mill late 90's Honda Civics. Some lowered, some *sigh* as they call 'cambered', some with sound systems, and some just have a decent set of wheels. To each their own. There are decent cars that show up in the feed from time to time though. All in all I couldn't bring myself to show up in the flesh to one of this groups meets.

My issue was with this, for instance, a gentleman posted to that group who has a nice looking Black 2012 Challenger R/T with a 6-speed I believe that was seriously considering an MKIV Supra Non-turbo automatic which only had around 38,000 miles but the dealership wanted 22k. The only memory I have of the non-turbo MKIV's were basically the Buick Regal to the Grand National. They seemed to be the ones that teachers and secretaries drove when I was in high school. I kept that opinion to myself though. This guy was considering trading in his Challenger for it. At this point I at least wanted to weigh in so no mistakes were made. So with the limited knowledge I have of those cars I knew the N/A motors were also the ones they put in the IS350 (2Jz-GE) from the later end of the Supra's run. That knowledge in hand I found that the IS weighs about the same (3200'ish lbs) and with the same amount of miles could be had for 15 grand less than what this dealership was trying to push this car for. I shared that info and man they started throwing fits left and right "Well this, this, and that, and legend in Japan" etc. I bowed out at that point. For the most part my pissing match days are behind me.

So thats part of why I have a hard time hanging out with large groups that involve people with similar interests to my own when it comes to automobilia. Does anyone else ever feel that way in these types of situations?

Last edited:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I got added to a group in Houston that's full of trolls and morons...I check in on it every now and then to laugh at the idiots and call out the "fastest girl in Houston." She won't run me :(

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
im part of a socal genesis coupe and a san diego genesis coupe club on FB.

Both are very respectable. I dont think once ive read a troll post or hater post.

Coiled03

Established Member
Leave the group, then punch your buddy in the balls for adding you to it in the first place.

Vigilante

Established Member
Not only the IS, but there was a re-badged Supra called the SC300. Only thing that was different is it never came with a turbo. But for the price difference you could get a turbo and support it for cheaper than that N/A he's looking at.

Seems like he's hunting for a name rather than performance.

Almighty-One

^_^
Established Member
lol sounds like our local cars & coffee group

nothing makes them more angry the posts talking bad about the FR-S and BRZ

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Well the Sc300s are ugly and nobody wants them. However paying $22k for a n/a supra is the same as buying an old used V6 mustang.

He could easily find a good engine for the Supra but at that price it isn't worth it at all.

If people want to be stupid then let them. He will realize how dumb it was after the fact. Most humans have to learn the hard way because they sure as hell aren't going to read a book or understand solid advice when it's given.

Last edited:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I got added to a group in Houston that's full of trolls and morons...I check in on it every now and then to laugh at the idiots and call out the "fastest girl in Houston." She won't run me :(

did you ever think maybe it wasn't cars she was the fastest at?

mnewxcv

Established Member
Not only the IS, but there was a re-badged Supra called the SC300. Only thing that was different is it never came with a turbo. But for the price difference you could get a turbo and support it for cheaper than that N/A he's looking at.

Seems like he's hunting for a name rather than performance.

sc300 is a rebadged supra? better do your homework. they are completely different platforms. if anything, the mk4 supra was based on the sc300.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
People can unwillingly add you to shit on Facebook? Can you delete yourself or block it?

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Tried FB for about 2 days, years back when everyone was getting into it. Quickly realized I don't care what people I barely know are doing or their views on anything. Same thing as my first car club experience. Deciding not to interact with either has saved me many headaches and blood pressure points.

Users who are viewing this thread