Got the Raptor back after the hail damage

98slowbra

Established Member
Well the Raptor was in the shop for 33 days total and I got it back Friday. I did not go over it to well I still need to do that but the total damage was $17500. When I looked at it a bit I noticed on the NEW paint job it has scratches all over the doors going right to left, looks like they wet sanded it and did not buff it out. Then on the tint I rolled down the passenger side window and found 2 huge scratches about 3 inches long.
It will be going back to the shop again tell it is fixed to my standards. New paint should look like smooth glass with no scratches in it. When the light in the garage hits it right you can really see the scratches, you have to look close to see the scratches but come on it should not be like this.
Raptor-XL.jpg

raptor1-XL.jpg

Last edited:

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
That was hard to read.

Agreed though, paint shouldn’t have issues when it’s coming back from having work done.

The window tint is more of a, “Are you serious about this?” thing. That’s embarrassing.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
For how much work they did that is not bad at all. Get it fixed but I wouldn't stress about it. Doing detail work on paint is probably the single hardest thing to do and it rarely comes out perfect every time. The lighting they use is supposed to replicate sunlight but it isn't always perfect.

They should have no problem fixing it, but I would just be really cool about it and dont act irritated. You accepted the vehicle and took it home so they have the option of turning you away if they want.

98slowbra

Established Member
For how much work they did that is not bad at all. Get it fixed but I wouldn't stress about it. Doing detail work on paint is probably the single hardest thing to do and it rarely comes out perfect every time. The lighting they use is supposed to replicate sunlight but it isn't always perfect.

They should have no problem fixing it, but I would just be really cool about it and dont act irritated. You accepted the vehicle and took it home so they have the option of turning you away if they want.

I went to this place since it was a shop recommended by my insurance company so it does have warranty with the work they did, so they will have to fix it, I will be without my truck for a few more days is my guess.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
sucks but I think nearly every repair Ive had done involving paint had to be touched up to some degree.. hell they forgot to buff the clear at all one time, looked like tree sap droplets all over a 6"x6" area.

Honestly I wouldnt be shocked if they detailed it out then ran it through the auto scratch 5000 car wash

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
I went to this place since it was a shop recommended by my insurance company so it does have warranty with the work they did, so they will have to fix it, I will be without my truck for a few more days is my guess.

Warranty on any defects. A flat spot is not a defect and can be fixed in 5min. It's just a spot they didnt hit well enough with the buffer because the lighting didnt reveal it. That's why I say it is really hard to get right. The scratch on the glass is up for debate. If it is on the tint then they will just schedule you in to have it fixed which takes mayne half a day.

Just have to remember that these vehicles are put together by machines who do it the same every time and a shop is people trying to replicate that. It is incredibly hard and often doesn't come out perfect. One thing you can be happy with is that the paint they likely used is better than factory and probably had less orange peel than from the factory.

98slowbra

Established Member
Thanks bud I was not aware of this, I am happy I got the truck back that is for sure but they still have to put in the inner fender wheel well cause in the 33 days they had it, they kept on getting the one for the f150 and not Raptor, and they broke a hook in the back so that needs to be replaced too. So I will get it all fixed.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Thanks bud I was not aware of this, I am happy I got the truck back that is for sure but they still have to put in the inner fender wheel well cause in the 33 days they had it, they kept on getting the one for the f150 and not Raptor, and they broke a hook in the back so that needs to be replaced too. So I will get it all fixed.

No problem. Just giving you a heads up on the finer details of it. They will surely accomodate your needs but it's always best to be as understanding and patient as possible as it is an incredibly difficult and stressful thing to pull together, especially as a manager who has to coordinate it all and present it to the customer.

98slowbra

Established Member
You are correct I need to be patient, which I have a hard time after it was gone for 33 days, but I see your point. I will give them a chance and not be a asshole to them about it cause then it will not get fixed right. You have really good points and I thank you for that, makes you see it on both sides.

Last edited:

08mojo

Established Member
You are correct I need to be patient, which I have a hard time after it was gone for 33 days, but I see your point. I will give them a chance and not be a asshole to them about it cause then it will not get fixed right. You have really good points and I thank you for that, makes you see it on both sides.

You are on the right path: be patient. I took my car back to a shop 3 or 4 times because they could not get some minor issues fixed (sag in a bumper they replaced). The associate (service manager?) that was handling my car kept insisting they couldn't get it right and it was the best they could do. Fortunately, another person from the shop happened to be walking by as the service manager said "that's the best we can do." The person walking by happened to be the owner, looked at the problem, told me to keep the keys to the rental and he'd have me fixed within two days. Two days later my car was back in my possession and was perfect.

Point of the story: stay calm, don't accept sub-par work, and most importantly make sure you talk to the right person. I got lucky, but it was a big lesson learned--the right employee makes all the difference. The owner saw that I was polite and calm--which I think really helped me get the results I wanted (that, and the owner really took pride in his shop).

My94GT

Established Member
A reputable shop should fix that no problem. It happens at times where you buff stuff and it dies back a bit after and needs re polish.

As far as paint looking like glass, it should be de nibbed and clean but still have some peel. Repairing a car s restoring it to pre loss condition aka factory finish not show car glass finish.

The tint should be an easy thing they missed to just get re tinted by the shop.

What’s the total truck look like over all?

98slowbra

Established Member
It has been snow and about 30 here so have not got it washed yet, I will post pics when I can get time, it is a bit more since I need to get the camera gear out for this, well it does not look like a golf ball, I can say that

coposrv

Established Member
The tint scratches are bullshit but the exterior scratches I would understand. To the body shop it’s still an f150.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Damn, that sucks!
I hope they fix it to your standards. I would be irate as well. Good luck!

My94GT

Established Member
The tint scratches are bullshit but the exterior scratches I would understand. To the body shop it’s still an f150.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
It likely has nothing to do with the shop looking at it as just an f150. Most of us in body shops know a variety of vehicles and understand a raptor when it comes across.

Tint scratches happen when pulling the glass from the doors once in a while but I fault the shop for failing to QC the truck and catch that prior to customer pick up.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Definitely understand your frustration but you need to be up front and particular with body shops otherwise they think you're a reguar customer that won't pay close attention as many don't. Have to say something like 'The finish will buffed to a high gloss when it's done correct?" Especially because F-150's come off the line with varying level of paint defect/orange peel. I feel your pain my '17 EB Platinum was hit by an idiot and not fixed to my standard and it went back to the shop TWICE! Always inspect the work and don't accept the vehicle if it's not up to par. Good luck man.

Well the Raptor was in the shop for 33 days total and I got it back Friday. I did not go over it to well I still need to do that but the total damage was $17500. When I looked at it a bit I noticed on the NEW paint job it has scratches all over the doors going right to left, looks like they wet sanded it and did not buff it out. Then on the tint I rolled down the passenger side window and found 2 huge scratches about 3 inches long.
It will be going back to the shop again tell it is fixed to my standards. New paint should look like smooth glass with no scratches in it. When the light in the garage hits it right you can really see the scratches, you have to look close to see the scratches but come on it should not be like this.
View attachment 1533310

View attachment 1533311

Users who are viewing this thread