Grab Your Driving Gloves | 2020 Bullitt Mustang | Still the Classiest S550

Grab Your Driving Gloves | 2020 Bullitt Mustang | Still the Classiest S550

2019_Bullitt_Mustang_044.jpg

It’s been a bit over a year since we got to spend some time in a 2019 Bullitt Mustang. That particular car restored my faith in the S550 platform. To put it simply, that was my favorite iteration of a factory S550 Mustang built to that point. We tested that car at a time before the Shelby GT350 received its quiet round of mid- model upgrades that substantially work it up in comparison to the early run versions. The Bullitt benefited from the GT350’s intake tract, but managed to crank out greater low end grunt while not requiring 50 pounds of mass dampers to prevent shaking itself to pieces. You can see that full review here:

Faith in S550 Restored - 2019 Bullitt Mustang Review

As it stands, the Bullitt is still my favorite non-Ford Performance S550. Its combination of styling, performance, and upgrade potential is simply tough to beat. But there’s definitely some room for improvement in certain categories. One such area that could use a little attention is the Getrag sourced MT-82 manual transmission. Though it has been updated over the past decade, it still pales in comparison to some of the offerings from Tremec. That’s one of the reasons I’m really looking forward to spending some time in the 2021 Mach 1 Mustang.

We pretty comprehensively covered the particulars of the Bullitt in our previous article, linked above, and there’s really not much we can add there. The driving experience is just as good as I remembered it being. However, if I were in the market for a new S550 Mustang I think I’d lean towards the Mach 1. Styling preferences aside, the Mach 1 package pretty much addresses everything on my Bullitt wish list. It has more aggressive suspension tuning and tires, plus a far better transmission. Ford essentially took all the performance features that make the Bullitt such a great Mustang and dialed them up to 11.2.

So until I get a chance to spend some time behind the wheel of a 2021 Mach 1 Mustang, hopefully soon, I hope you find this Bullitt refresh review helpful. The Bullitt has a great balance of style, performance, and comfort; and I would be proud to own one. If you were on the fence about which model S550 Mustang to purchase and would like a close look at the Bullitt we have an entire playlist built around the 2019 test car we had. Check it out:

I agree with what is stated above.I liked the bullitt, but for the price new and comming with the Chinese transmission was a turn off for me. Should have came with a tremec like the gt350 and mach 1.

Users who are viewing this thread