Grenaded my clutch. Have a few questions:

blacksnake305

Established Member
Grenaded my clutch. Have a few questions:
So it appears I completely grenaded my 03' cobie clutch (on a 3650). I was at 7k shifting from 2nd to 3rd... heard a bang.... a bunch of banging small parts...

The clutch pedal went completely to the floor. The engine was still running as I pulled over to the side of the road. Seemed to idle well but running a little rough. No fluids and the bell housing seems fine when I looked underneath.

Anyway, got out and saw clutch dust all over the rear bumper. Got it towed home. Now I have a few questions:

1. Is this common in a 475rwhp cobra?
2. Any damage to the engine possible?
3. Is there a better more reliable clutch or components I should purchase this time around. The plan was to push it to around 520rwhp.

Anything else comes to mind let me know as I've never grenada a clutch before...

thanks in advance!

fastback brian

Established Member
For your new clutch, get one with steel backed friction like the 03-04 cobra clutch or spec stage1...they wont blow apart from over reving or over heating...if you get an SFI flywheel then just upgrade to a RAM powergripHD or spec3+ for that big power you have planned...

slick4_6

Established Member
I went ahead and put in a new flywheel but it probably was not needed. I thought it would be good to go ahead and replace it since a new stock flywheel was not all that expensive to replace while having the transmission pulled.

Users who are viewing this thread