Grinding 3rd gear in TR3650 - options?

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
3rd gear is grinding in my 01 Cobra. It's happens on both up and down shift but otherwise smooth. Should I have it rebuilt locally, replace it with a rebuilt unit from somewhere who specializes in rebuilding these, move to a t45? The car is pretty much stock and will remain that way as it's really just a weekend cruiser so upgrading to a t56 really wouldnt do me much good.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Have you adjusted the clutch or replaced the fluid lately? One of those might fix your issue.

If it does turn out to be internal I'd have it rebuilt locally. It doesn't sound like you need a super beefy set up.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
No I did not change the fluid or adjust the cable. While it did cross my mind to do so, I figured if it was something that simple, it would grind in every gear. I suppose I can try both of those options before pulling it apart. Is the factory cable adjustable?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If you have the factory quadrant put your toe under the clutch pedal and pull it towards you. It should come up a bit. Then push it to the floor. If you do that a couple times it'll tighten the cable and you can see if it gets better.

Also, how many miles are on the clutch?

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Okay so I adjusted the cable and changed the fluid to Synchromesh. Every other gear is smooth as butter now but 3rd still grinds. Clutch could be the original with 200k miles but it still works great. Any recommendations on where to buy a rebuilt one?

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
ProMotion MUSTANG/CAMARO/CORVETTE Performance Manual Transmissions/Clutch/Repairs/Parts FL

Also I'd like to add, if you can swing it, switch up to the new TkX 5spd. It runs a newer style tob which will get you away from the old style ones which are all now complete pieces of shit. Even the ford racing one ($75) is a chinese pos with the little gold 'made in china' sticker right on the box. Ive been through 3 in the last 15k miles and I'm over it. Only my original tob was worth its weight, but they must've been made somewhere else back in the day. The tkx shifts way better anyway. I'm making the switch, myself.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I just bought a roller ‘99 Cobra just for the IRS. It has a recently rebuilt T-45 if you’re interested. I’m in Ohio though.
Good luck
-J

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
ProMotion MUSTANG/CAMARO/CORVETTE Performance Manual Transmissions/Clutch/Repairs/Parts FL

Also I'd like to add, if you can swing it, switch up to the new TkX 5spd. It runs a newer style tob which will get you away from the old style ones which are all now complete pieces of shit. Even the ford racing one ($75) is a chinese pos with the little gold 'made in china' sticker right on the box. Ive been through 3 in the last 15k miles and I'm over it. Only my original tob was worth its weight, but they must've been made somewhere else back in the day. The tkx shifts way better anyway. I'm making the switch, myself.

Wow. I've been out of the game for around 20 years and never once thought good tob's would be hard to come by. I checked out the tkx but I'm not looking to invest that kind of money in this this thing.
I just bought a roller ‘99 Cobra just for the IRS. It has a recently rebuilt T-45 if you’re interested. I’m in Ohio though.
Good luck
-J
Man I wish you were closer!

shurur

Established Member

Let us know how the TKX goes. I like a multi-rail design myself and this looks promising.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Let us know how the TKX goes. I like a multi-rail design myself and this looks promising.
There's vids people have made of their impressions. It's essentially a t56 magnum 5spd but it uses the new style tob.

shurur

Established Member
There's vids people have made of their impressions. It's essentially a t56 magnum 5spd but it uses the new style tob.
I think the t56 (like t5, t45..maybe t3650) is single rail and the TKX is a version of the multirail TKO....not sure now..

I like the stiffness or presicion of a multirail design.
The smoothness of my t45 is sloppiness to me.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I think the t56 (like t5, t45..maybe t3650) is single rail and the TKX is a version of the multirail TKO....not sure now..

I like the stiffness or presicion of a multirail design.
The smoothness of my t45 is sloppiness to me.
I'm not totally certain either. It's been a couple years since I was getting smart about the t56 magnum because I was going to make the swap. The cost and efforts associated with making it work the way I wanted it to with my Mach eventually outweighed my desire and I ditched the idea. It may be only a single rail. My point was basically the TkX will shift nicely, even at really high rpm and it's also very strong with wide faced gears and 26 spline input shaft.

Just getting away from the old style tob fiasco is enough to make the switch anyway. Can't believe the ball has been dropped so far on something so simple, yet critical.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I believe ive read that it comes for the ford cars as cable but can be converted to hydraulic.
Thanks. I was trying to find it, but everything looked like it was hydrualic. The one install video I found the guy totally skipped showing the trans going in.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Thanks. I was trying to find it, but everything looked like it was hydrualic. The one install video I found the guy totally skipped showing the trans going in.
Yeah, my 'knowledge' about it is from a mix of a few retailers vids, a couple individuals who swapped them into their mustangs and a fast skim over tremecs website. So not an expert by any means. Not yet anyway. The main thing that sold me was it uses a tob the same style as the newer cars. Strong and precise were icing on the cake.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Yeah, my 'knowledge' about it is from a mix of a few retailers vids, a couple individuals who swapped them into their mustangs and a fast skim over tremecs website. So not an expert by any means. Not yet anyway. The main thing that sold me was it uses a tob the same style as the newer cars. Strong and precise were icing on the cake.
It would be nice to be able to use the hydraulic set up, but as far as I know there isn't a master cylinder that clears the 4V heads. That might have changed since the last time I looked though.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
It would be nice to be able to use the hydraulic set up, but as far as I know there isn't a master cylinder that clears the 4V heads. That might have changed since the last time I looked though.
You may be right about that, which would suck because I think we would be stuck with the old style tob if that was the case. Damn. I'm not having luck finding specifics on that, either on youtube or retailer websites. I really wish someone would just step up and make a real tob again.

shurur

Established Member
modern driveline MDL has a hydraulic kit now....pedal cam and all.
cammed as well, to make pedal. lighter.

I had a bit to do with this when I started talks with the owner, Bruce Couture, about the need for this product based on the lousy kit McLeod hastily cobbled together for us.
Then I lost my career in engineering and play money to test this for them.

Sid was supposed to do an article on it, but I guess he and the owner never hooked up. I was involved in hooking them up for the article as well, but haven't seen it show on SVTP yet!!

MDL deserves the coverage!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread