Grinding 3rd gear in TR3650 - options?

shurur

Established Member
Thanks. I was trying to find it, but everything looked like it was hydrualic. The one install video I found the guy totally skipped showing the trans going in.
Yes..they just skipped to the hydraulic TOB right?
Lousy follow through on a new product for sure.

Why bother to make a video with all the good shit missing??

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
modern driveline MDL has a hydraulic kit now....pedal cam and all.
cammed as well, to make pedal. lighter.

I had a bit to do with this when I started talks with the owner, Bruce Couture, about the need for this product based on the lousy kit McLeod hastily cobbled together for us.
Then I lost my career in engineering and play money to test this for them.

Sid was supposed to do an article on it, but I guess he and the owner never hooked up. I was involved in hooking them up for the article as well, but haven't seen it show on SVTP yet!!

MDL deserves the coverage!!
That's a nice looking kit, but it looks like it'll be tight with the valve cover. Even with the PCV moved to the front. You'd think he'd offer one up to someone with a 4V just to check. Even a dry fit would tell a lot.

Edit: I just saw they have a remote mount reservoir option, but no pictures of that mounted up at all.
Yes..they just skipped to the hydraulic TOB right?
Lousy follow through on a new product for sure.

Why bother to make a video with all the good shit missing??
They didn't even show that. It was in a foxbody. The video went from talking about the trans on the bench to showing it installed in the car, then driving it. Wasn't all that informative all around.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You may be right about that, which would suck because I think we would be stuck with the old style tob if that was the case. Damn. I'm not having luck finding specifics on that, either on youtube or retailer websites. I really wish someone would just step up and make a real tob again.
I looked into way back when as I really wanted to convert over to hydraulic. I think one company made a set up where the master cylinder mounted parallel to the firewall, but it didn't work that well from what I saw.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
modern driveline MDL has a hydraulic kit now....pedal cam and all.
cammed as well, to make pedal. lighter.

I had a bit to do with this when I started talks with the owner, Bruce Couture, about the need for this product based on the lousy kit McLeod hastily cobbled together for us.
Then I lost my career in engineering and play money to test this for them.

Sid was supposed to do an article on it, but I guess he and the owner never hooked up. I was involved in hooking them up for the article as well, but haven't seen it show on SVTP yet!!

MDL deserves the coverage!!
pretty interesting but running up close to a grand with everything you'd need. Running a dual disc clutch Im not sure how much benefit there is - at least pedal effort wise

shurur

Established Member
That's a nice looking kit, but it looks like it'll be tight with the valve cover. Even with the PCV moved to the front. You'd think he'd offer one up to someone with a 4V just to check. Even a dry fit would tell a lot.

Edit: I just saw they have a remote mount reservoir option, but no pictures of that mounted up at all.

They didn't even show that. It was in a foxbody. The video went from talking about the trans on the bench to showing it installed in the car, then driving it. Wasn't all that informative all around.
I think the kit was designed with the 4v in mind.
That was how I presented it to him years ago, that and our emails about the shitty 4v McLeod kit fitment. Mcleod dropped the ball on that shit, with a lazy design that leveraged two slave cylinders.

I wish I had the $, I would buy the MDL kit just to post it up in SVTP.

In the future, I probably will stay with some rebuilt transmission or a trx and a cable with a Lakewood extended fork/pivot bolt.

Last edited:

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I looked into way back when as I really wanted to convert over to hydraulic. I think one company made a set up where the master cylinder mounted parallel to the firewall, but it didn't work that well from what I saw.
So just got off the phone with silver sport trans. It wasn't an in depth conversation, but the guy told me they had a kit and that on June 4th they posted on their Instagram page the setup to work with the 4v engine. I don't have Instagram but if someone on here does, he said the demonstration with the blue firewall cutout is the one for us. The setup is priced at $649 right now.

Forgot to add, this is for the TkX. It doesn't go with a tr3650.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
pretty interesting but running up close to a grand with everything you'd need. Running a dual disc clutch Im not sure how much benefit there is - at least pedal effort wise
I am not liking the whole dual clutch thing.
I know they are used a lot now, but seems like a level of complication in a place where you don't want it.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member

Considering how nice even just your basic dual disc is I feel like it's just adding expense and points of failure.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I know they are used a lot now, but seems like a level of complication in a place where you don't want it.

Kind of funny we both looked at the same options and had 2 different take away. To each his own. I'm not sure if you mean dual clutch or twin disc. I was talking twin disc clutch not a "dual clutch" trans paddle shifty complexity.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

I would say it took me a few extra minutes to assembly the dual disc vs a single but not much. The only real time investment was setting the correct length on the adjustable pivot ball. Going forward there's basically nothing to it. I've had zero issues with my RXT, street driving all the time even in rush hour. Pedal effort is fantastic

to me the hydraulic line and TOB are bigger potential failure points

everyone has their own thing though

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Considering how nice even just your basic dual disc is I feel like it's just adding expense and points of failure.
Going hydraulic does add complications, but then again all modern oem setups use this strategy. Take that for what it's worth I guess.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
So just got off the phone with silver sport trans. It wasn't an in depth conversation, but the guy told me they had a kit and that on June 4th they posted on their Instagram page the setup to work with the 4v engine. I don't have Instagram but if someone on here does, he said the demonstration with the blue firewall cutout is the one for us. The setup is priced at $649 right now.

Forgot to add, this is for the TkX. It doesn't go with a tr3650.
See if this works...

I'm still not sold on it. Especially for that price point. Maybe if I get that new job next year.

I'm with DSG on the RXT. No complaints and I've put over 20k on it.

Users who are viewing this thread