Griptec Supercharger Pulley

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Yes I'm running a thump tensioner and there is NO tension indicator.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

That is the negative of the thump then. They make those "cricket" belt tension gauges you can purchase on the net or parts store....but I've not had much luck trying one. You press it against an installed belt and it indicates a pressure.

I really appreciate Ford including at least an attempt at a gauge in the factory arm. Some piece of mind with tension levels.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
That could definitely be possible. Every configuration is different. The reason that I switched to a Gatorback early on was the Gates belts would glaze (and chirp) with 2 weeks of installation after switching to the RR pulley. Someone recommended Gatorback and the issue disappeared. The subtle whistle was a side benefit. LOL.

I've really not familiar with the Gates RPM belt. Is it equal in longevity to the Green Stripe? Better?

Supposedly superior in longevity....it's made out of aramid tensile cord. Hence the "no stretch" versus traditional belt composition. But also the double edge sword and possibility of snap if you set it up too tight to begin with.

Mine has been great. No start up chirping regardless of weather. Near zero dust.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
That is the negative of the thump then. They make those "cricket" belt tension gauges you can purchase on the net or parts store....but I've not had much luck trying one. You press it against an installed belt and it indicates a pressure.

I really appreciate Ford including at least an attempt at a gauge in the factory arm. Some piece of mind with tension levels.
I've gone through at least 2 motorcraft tensioners. I had enough of the stock unit. Maybe it's from running a belt too tight.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I've gone through at least 2 motorcraft tensioners. I had enough of the stock unit. Maybe it's from running a belt too tight.

That's a distinct possibility. I'm at 27k on the factory unit it runs great.

I'd imagine too tight a belt isn't exactly good on the blower snout or crank pulley either. Getting away with the least amount of tension, that still yields no slip....is scenario A

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
That's a distinct possibility. I'm at 27k on the factory unit it runs great.

I'd imagine too tight a belt isn't exactly good on the blower snout or crank pulley either. Getting away with the least amount of tension, that still yields no slip....is scenario A
That's why I bought the Whipple tensioner. Gives some play with the tension setting.
After changing to the gates belt my belt slip dissappeared. I add the RR upper supercharger pulley for insurance and looks.

Glad I only have a 3.1 pulley can't imagine running the 2.6

The gates belt makes no noise

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'm gonna give that RPM belt a shot before I do the Carbinite. Will report back in about a week when I get the belt on and get a chance to test it out. If I don't lose any boost past 5K it works!. I had to get my belt from Jegs, they were the only one with the size I needed. K080765RPM

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Updated, ordered that RPM belt and wrong one was sent. Belt that's currently on is a K080765HD which is 77-1/16" long. I took that off for a K080760HD which is 76.5" long. My tensioner moved about 1/8" tighter. I'm gonna try this before anything else now. I don't think the belt is too tight. It was definitely tough to get on but did it by myself by kinda walking it onto the upper 2.7" pulley. Here's where the tensioner now sits with the car idling. I was still able to move the tensioner plenty with a breaker bar (not sure if that matters).
CAE164C2-C795-43FA-9E1C-650074296C1D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread