GT Forged Crank vs. Boss 302 Crank

Status
Not open for further replies.

hasty

Established Member
I know the bobweight for balance is different from a GT and the Boss crank has a 9 bolt flange, but is the Boss crank lighter or stronger?

I'm assuming that the Boss rod/piston is lighter than the powder rod / hyper piston from a GT?

Last edited:

twistedneck

Established Member
I know the bobweight for balance is different from a GT and the Boss crank has a 9 bolt flange, but is the Boss crank lighter or stronger?

I'm assuming that the Boss rod/piston is lighter than the powder rod / hyper piston from a GT?

The boss piston is heavier, as is the rod to support it - weight begets more weight! The cranks are identical apart from the different weights. they are both 8 bolt.

hasty

Established Member
Thanks for the response :)

Any idea how much heavier? I'm just wondering weather it would be cheaper to rebalance the stock crank or to buy a boss crank and sell the stock one if I used the boss rod and piston.

I bought a motor and it had a cracked ring land under the top ring on cyl #8. It didn't hurt the cylinder, but I'm leery about the rest of the stock pistons. The motor had a blower on it, and you never know if the rest are weakened from knock issues. There have been stock engines that have had this failure, so I question if the stock piston material was quite good enough for the design of the piston (at least if you abuse the motor).

Anybody have any experience using aftermarket rods and pistons on a GT crank? Did a lot of weight need to be added to the crank to get it balanced?

I'll probably be buying some parts before long, but I need to weigh my options.

mavfan37

'13 DIB 5.0
Established Member
I'm interested in this as well. Is the Boss crank stronger? How much power can the stock crank hold?

hasty

Established Member
I may be wrong, but from a visual inspection it appears to me that the boss crank is made from the same forging as the GT crank. It looks like it's just balanced different

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The Boss crank and GT crank are identical, they have a different part # because of the different balance.

MMR
Modular Motorsports Racing
mmr%20coyote%201.jpg

Rickety

Established Member
I weighed both GT and BOSS rotating assemblies.... Production everything...

BW BOSS = 1683.0
BW GT = 1619.4

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
This thread is about the crank, not the rotating assembly, unless you are misunderstanding and you are calling a crank a rotating assembly ( a rotating assembly is crank, rods and pistons)

The cranks are identical, there is weight difference but this is because they are balanced differently because they have different weight pistons and rods, this means more/less material is removed from the crank to offset this difference, this is why there is a minor weight difference on the cranks, but again, the crank is the same forging, it has a different part # simply because it is balanced differently.

Last edited:

Rickety

Established Member
U forgot the rings and rod bearings for the rotating assembly.....I am aware of the BW and Crank differences...
I just posted Bob Weights(BW), for a reference.... And, I wouldn't call 64 grams difference in BW minor....

This thread is about the crank, not the rotating assembly, unless you are misunderstanding and you are calling a crank a rotating assembly ( a rotating assembly is crank, rods and pistons)

The cranks are identical, there is weight difference but this is because they are balanced differently because they have different weight pistons and rods, this means more/less material is removed from the crank to offset this difference, this is why there is a minor weight difference on the cranks, but again, the crank is the same forging, it has a different part # simply because it is balanced differently.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
U forgot the rings and rod bearings for the rotating assembly....

Indeed, but we were simply listing the basics, again, this thread was about the crankshaft, not the rotating assembly or its bob weights . There was no discussion about the assemblies being different, they are however different in both design and weight.

Last edited:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Lastly you mention us saying "minor" weight difference, and we agree 64 grams is huge for a Bob weight, but we were referring to the crankshaft weight (again, what this thread was about), the information you posted however may still be usefull to some that were not aware of the BW differences.

Last edited:

Rickety

Established Member
If you go back and read the OPs posts, U can clearly see where he asked for a difference in weight....

As U keep pointing out, the material/crank are the same-cept for the balance-

Lastly you mention us saying "minor" weight difference, and we agree 64 grams is huge for a Bob weight, but we were referring to the crankshaft weight (again, what this thread was about), the information you posted however may still be usefull to some that were not aware of the BW differences.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
If you go back and read the OPs posts, U can clearly see where he asked for a difference in weight....

As U keep pointing out, the material/crank are the same-cept for the balance-

Sent from my DROID RAZR

You are correct, and he was aware that there were differences in BW, his question however (from the first post) was "but is the Boss crank lighter or stronger? "

Like we said, the information you posted is useful either way! :beer:

Last edited:

Rickety

Established Member
He was made aware of the lack of strength differences on Dec. 29th 2012.....:beer:

You are correct, and he was aware that there were differences in BW, his question however (from the first post) was "but is the Boss crank lighter or stronger? "

Like we said, the information you posted is useful either way! :beer:

Sent from my DROID RAZR

i want boost

Established Member
Thanks for the response :)

Any idea how much heavier? I'm just wondering weather it would be cheaper to rebalance the stock crank or to buy a boss crank and sell the stock one if I used the boss rod and piston.

I bought a motor and it had a cracked ring land under the top ring on cyl #8. It didn't hurt the cylinder, but I'm leery about the rest of the stock pistons. The motor had a blower on it, and you never know if the rest are weakened from knock issues. There have been stock engines that have had this failure, so I question if the stock piston material was quite good enough for the design of the piston (at least if you abuse the motor).

Anybody have any experience using aftermarket rods and pistons on a GT crank? Did a lot of weight need to be added to the crank to get it balanced?

I'll probably be buying some parts before long, but I need to weigh my options.

Hey, I'm curious about this buy I want to add a blower to my car 13 coyot, after much research I'm convinced the stock engine will be ok with 550-600 rwhp.
So my quesitions are, why was this motor for sale, was it a 11 or 12 that had #8 cylinder issues? Did it blow? How much power was it putting out? How much boost were they pushing?? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread