GT in new C&D

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
The GT can’t beat a GEO metro with a burnt up crank shaft or broken a-arms.

The point is if you buy a Lamborghini Gallardo or a Ferrari 360 you expect super car performance & quality. The GT gives you that super car price tag at 200k but poor car quality. The recalls are a killer. I can see some small issues but hey a crank machined out of spec & repaired with a band-aid no thanks, Ill take a zo6 or 996TT any day.

I have driven 996TT, 360 Modena, 456 GTA & many others on the track. By far the z06 & 996 TT are the most impressive. The 360's brakes fade after 5-6 laps. IMHO the ZO6 is the best bang for the buck.
And my local car board has come back with yet more interesting rebuttle...

Formula51

Established Member
FordGTGuy said:
noone argued the point of winning or losing. The Ford GT is a pace car for one company while on Lamborghinis end they only make supercars so yes I wouldn't compare. Ford GT was made in 6 months while lamborghinis are made over years, also the parts on the Ford GT came from many differen't companies while lamborghini uses their own. :read: :poke:

Theres a way to compare performance and a way to compare perfection.

Performance: Ford GT destroys the Gallardo so much that if a I remeber correctly the Gallardo doesn't even brake 4 seconds 0-60.

Perfection: Ford GT was made in 6 months and using a V8 SC it keeps up with Europes Finest.

The Z06 will compete with the F430 on all levels of performance and perfection. But the Ford GT and Z06 will compete on some levels of performance but the Ford GT will beat it in perfection. :rolleyes: :rollseyes

Ahhh and I forgot something the famous qoute everyone is using, "The Ford GT is a supercar and the Z06 is a sportscar."

I guess I still dont understand. The GT was made in 6 months (according to you) and comes out with problems which should have been caught in development and thats PERFECTION! We must have different definitions.

I guess I dont understand your definition of perfection. While I dont want to turn this into a Z vs. GT thread, you state that the GT will beat the Z in perfection. Exactly what does that mean? As for performance, do you think a 3150lb car with 505hp is capable of high 11 second passes? Do you think the new Z will stop better than the C5 Z which stopped from 60-0mph in 103ft? They will compete on all levels of performance. The GT may be a little, stress a little, faster and will likely have a higher top speed (who care's about this one). The Z will brake better and likely run equal or better track times. The Z will cost half as much, is more efficient, and has more amenities. So would the capable and race inspired Z be perfection then? I'm just messing with you, there is no such thing as perfection, but you get my point.

"The Ford GT is a supercar and the Z06 is a sportscar" What makes the Z just a sporstcar and the GT a supercar? I think most people would call the Gallardo, F430, Pagani Zonda, Mclaren SLR, etc. supercars. If the Z competes with them, then is it not a supercar? We will have all of our answers in a couple of months.

Formula51

Established Member
FordGTGuy said:
Gallardo:

MT

0-60: 4.3

1/4: 12.5

60-0 B: 115ft

Popular Mechanics

0-60: 4.68

1/4: 12.53

R&T

0-60: 4

1/4: 12.3

60-0 B: 110ft

Ford GT:(all reviews in 04, R&T is before new exhaust)

MT

0-60: 3.6

1/4: 11.78

60-0 B: 111ft

Popular Mechanics

0-60: 3.43

1/4: 11.69

R&T

0-60: 3.8

1/4: 12.2

60-0 B: 117ft

Don't look now, but you just compared the cars.

High 11's vs. mid/low 12's and approximately equal stopping distances. The GT is obviously the better performer, but I would say they are on the same playing field.

FordGTGuy

Established Member
exaclty, nothing is perfect, humans are not capable of creating something perfect since humans themselves are not perfect. The way I'm using perfection is the way its made, the heritage, the time made in, the qaulity of build, all the things that add up to make one car. I agree with you making a Z vs. GT is useless and dumb, but i'm not the one that started it i'm the one who has tried to stop it.

The Ford GT is a great car and its recalls infant cars made by european car makers by 3 folds in some cases and was made in 3 folds. The Z is a great car very fast and very cool but it doesn't match the Ford GT in these factors that I think make the GT worth its price. On the other hand the Z has a great heritage as an American sportscar. I just hope noone starts a BD vs. GT thread all the difference between the Z and the BD is a blower and 20K+ pricetag.

Formula51

Established Member
In a few months there will be a Z vs. GT thread and it will be a fun one. We will have to agree to wait until the Z is out and gets some numbers until we continue this discussion. The Blue Devil for the time being does not "exist". When and if it comes to fruision, it will be much more than just a forced induction engine addition. There is talk of more carbon panels and a weight of under 3000lbs. But for now it does not "exist".

You didn't answer any of my questions though ;-)

fordification

Established Member
and as stated, there was only 1 recall, the rest were tsb's. everyone seems to think they were all recalls. (not here).

fordification

Established Member
reading the c&d article, it looks like the low scores were mostly interior related. quality, ergonomics, styling.

cost and trunk space hurt the 430 the most, but scored one off from perfect in every category. same with the gallardo + steering feel and fuel economy.

fordification

Established Member
Looking over the article again I relized that they only allowed a total of 20 points for drivetrain performance, 20 for chassis, and 10 for road handling, out of a possible 350 points. That's seems very low for cars centralized around performance. GT came 1st in all except braking (4th). They gave a total of 4 points for the GT over the 430. That's roughly 1 point for acceleration, 1 for top speed, 1 for best track time, and 1 for highest later g's (again, out of 350 points). And yet interior point were out of 120.

I think they weighted the scores so the Ferrari's owners won't get all pissy'd, and stereotype c&d.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
the riceinator said:
thay called the GT a "sports car" 1/4 mile is of half a sec off
:shrug: .....well it was hot.

It seems most rags seemed to be getting 11.5-11.7 @ ~125-126. Maybe the one test in M/T was a "ringer", not so much for the 11.2, but the 131 trap speed which has been consistently quite a bit higher than what everyone else has got. I'm not sure if M/T corrects their times or not. But the time c/C got does seem abnormally low. I think it shows that just becasue you have a really fast car doesn't mean your guaranteed to run record times everytime.

Big 8

Established Member
car and driver also pegged 11.7 at 128 in their very first test of a GT.

Fact is if a car cant finish a comparo it shouldnt be rated. Is a gallardo junk? No but it couldnt complete their tests. There is no place in the world where one can fail miseably and still be rated as a pass!

So for you non believers the GT can have a shitty crank and leak oil and have ten TSBs but on this day it outperformed the Italians with all that, and at half the cost! The car was org built to hand Ferrari its ass and its doing it now! Save the z06 stuff because we will just have to see wont we, Supercar mid engined, alum tubed frame versus Vette, similar structure, 525 rwhp for the GT versus ??? 505 crank on the vette, maybe underrated?

In any event it isnt a good dy to be an italian super car manufacture! America rules!

Oh and when the FGT went up against the CGT and Enzo it more then held its own in every test! When it was all ove the CGT and Enzo were put back in their trucks and driven home, the Ford Gt was driven from Vegas to Texas! So ya the others may have more trunk space, for what? so you can keep something in it while its on your flat bed? At least the gt can be driven!

Users who are viewing this thread