GT premium HID headlights on a base GT?

03dsgdreams

Established Member
Ford does not offer the HID head light option on the base model. Will the headlight assembly's plug right in or is there wiring differences? Any one know?

03dsgdreams

Established Member
Even with the premium its 920 dollars for HID'S because you have to have the 395 dollar security package to get the 525 dollar HID'S. Man that's were they get ya.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
The biggest part of the system that you absolutely need are the ballasts. Without these items you'll fry your factory wiring in a heartbeat.

If you really want HID's it's probably actually cheaper to purchase a Premium GT with the HID package than it would be to purchase a base GT and do a retrofit with Ford parts.

The other option is to do an aftermarket retrofit. Unfortunately, most of these aren't nearly the quality of the OE parts and you end up with just a fancy bulb replacement that scatters light everywhere, especially into the eyes of oncoming traffic.

kingnut

Established Member
anyone have pics of the stock hid pattern vs stock non projector housing/.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
No way i would attempt that. I am too jittery and hap-hazzard.

I'd have to agree. In principle, yes you can have a better functioning system for less. There's a decent amount of fabrication going on there however and somebody without the knowledge trying to do it can really screw something up. For some people it's better to purchase direct replacement items. For others it's just simply better to have the factory do it.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
Sweet! So it can be done. It's just not easy, nothing worth doing is easy anyway. See the thing is I dont want to spend over 4 grand on a premium just because i want the HID's. The premium option is 3200 and then the 920 for the HID's, they can keep the sync and leather for 3200 bucks in my opinion. Thanks guys.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
So say I do find the O.E HID head light assembly's at a junk yard or something for a good price. What exactly would I need to do to make them work. Could it be done for a grand or less?

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
The other option is to do an aftermarket retrofit. Unfortunately, most of these aren't nearly the quality of the OE parts and you end up with just a fancy bulb replacement that scatters light everywhere, especially into the eyes of oncoming traffic.

Thats not a retrofit, thats called slapping crappy Chinese bulbs into a reflector housing for the cool look

dont forget you'll lose a useful high beam to

Or you could do a TRUE retrofit and have WAY better performance than the Ford HIDs for a less money(way less than adding it to a base)
2010 Ford Mustang FX-R Retrofit

Now that is a retrofit, chutoyy made his headlights look friggin awesome IMO.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...10-mustang-gt-bixenon-projector-retrofit.html

I've also heard that the ford projectors aren't very good... Anyone with a 2010+ Mustang with projector HID's care to take some output shots? I've never seen the cutoff and I'm curious about how well they perform.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
So say I do find the O.E HID head light assembly's at a junk yard or something for a good price. What exactly would I need to do to make them work. Could it be done for a grand or less?

Few things

one, the chances of finding em at the jy are slim, but if you indeed do, the yard is probably going to want a premium for them.

Also, everything you need for it to work is on the car, and I don't see it being any different to hook up then plugging in a stock light... except instead of having the harness go to the bulb, the harness goes to the ballast, which goes to the bulb....

Do 2010+ mustangs have bulb out warnings? if so that could throw things off a little...

kevinp

Established Member
My 2010 GT500 had the HIDs and this 2011 has the regular headlights. I wouldnt spend 50.00 to upgrade the lights, the HIDs werent that much better. Matter of fact the HIDs were a little too focused and got cut off when driving around here with a lot of small hills.

ViciousJay

Established Member
i went with DDM Tuning, cost me 50 shipped with a lifetime warranty... no complaints about blinding anyone.... they are by far the best mod ive done but i wish i would have gone with 4300K, in the video they say its 5K but im betting its 6K.... as for the discoloring its all fixed they needed to be burned in but heres the video below
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I5PYJt3eNk"]YouTube - 55w HID kit 2011 Mustang GT[/nomedia]

photowth.jpg

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
i went with DDM Tuning, cost me 50 shipped with a lifetime warranty... no complaints about blinding anyone.... they are by far the best mod ive done but i wish i would have gone with 4300K, in the video they say its 5K but im betting its 6K.... as for the discoloring its all fixed they needed to be burned in but heres the video below
YouTube - 55w HID kit 2011 Mustang GT

OMG Those things glare like a mo fo!

Also, the camera is probably making it appear more blue... I had a 55W 8000K bulb and it was pure white. Now i have 5000K and its amber :nonono: 55W's tend to wash out alot of color, so they cant be compared to 35w colors

AmnDucky

Established Member
Or you could do a TRUE retrofit and have WAY better performance than the Ford HIDs for a less money(way less than adding it to a base)
2010 Ford Mustang FX-R Retrofit

Ponder ponder ponder. I wanted the HIDs when I ordered mine, but I didn't like how the light and turn signals were flipped. This is a possible alternative. Also, I am ashamed to admit this. But as ricy as those demon eyes are, I kinda like it :-D

Users who are viewing this thread