Gt350 Looks questionable in the hp department or am I off?

krt22

Established Member
I really do like the fact that so many guys pre ordered at MSRP. It gives hope the rest of us hope. I would like to know if anyone has walked in and bought the car at msrp . Is it realistic?

To the guys turning this into some straight line peak hp/ gt500 debate kindly troll it up somewhere else please.
I didnt walk in, but I made a call and placed the order with no issues. I will handle shipping the car on my own, but others have also arranged a courtesy transfer/drop ship, I didnt want to risk that given my area dealer is asking a huge markup and would have likely sold the car out from under me.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Oh and Chris I hear you about this being a track burner, but If the magnetic suspension is comfortable why not use it on the street. look at vmp, their boss track car made more power than the gt500 could on pump. A high compression engine that holds boost and is comfortable has many uses to me. This is off topic and speculation I know, and the fact that I have already added boost to the conversation just proves that it's not enough engine for me as it sits.

Again you are comparing a modified car to a stock car that has to go through not only the warranty process without drain Ford dry but also the federal environmental regulations as well. Sure there are stock cars out there...just look at the laferrari, 918, the p1! Purchase one of them instead.

Yeah - I would have loved a motor I could put a turbo on and get a streetable 750HP or better :) I'm sure it will happen, but it's going to mean new guts...

Go ahead. Im guessing 20k for the forged motor and another 20k for the twins from someone like Heffner.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ferrari does ok turbocharging fpc's. 660hp and up to 560tq from a tiny 3.9L v8 twin turbo in the new 488. They specifically limit torque distribution in 1-4th gear linearly. Turbo'ing an fpc or track car isn't a terrible idea at all, but it's an expensive and extensive idea to say the least.

I do think Ford will have the resources now to do say a 5.0 fpc tt gt500 successor with roughly 3.5-3.6" bores and 3.7" stroke. Just that extra bit of double honed plasmalining for added durability, for an easy 750-800hp engine with 7500-8000rpms. Trouble would more so EPA and catalyst issues as well as drivetrain and managing torque at that point vs durability testing. A tr6060 won't rev that high, and something like a tr3160 isn't robust (assumably) for that kind of torque.

Speaking of torque, For some reason, those quacks in Italy over at Ferrari deemed only about 425tq useful in 1st, 460tq~ in 2nd, 485tq~ in 3rd, and 520tq~ in 4th in their new 488. They say that they had much faster lap times using electronics to limit torque distribution. Something about pencil wristed test drivers not being as fast when they were unable to control drifts and go about the fastest lap like a real man, sideways at 100mph like a boss.

Silly Ferrari. You'd think they'd know that the torque is what wins on raceday. And we all know hp sells cars. And jeez they even have well weighed down rear tires thanks to a midship and super agressive active aero. Everyone outside of that illogical coach building house knows it needed to have 700tq and 750hp otherwise it'd be slower than a damned hellcat.

On a real note, the 70's Parnelli Jonea days rarely saw 350-400wtq in their race cars in full on trans am trim. Go figure that then and now too much torque wasn't conducive to lap times. Those mills made 375-425whp when lucky and maybe 450-475whp with a sneaky carb and tune setup. But U.S. We all need 750hp/700tq today or weak.

Last edited:

csc427

Established Member
Again you are comparing a modified car to a stock car that has to go through not only the warranty process without drain Ford dry but also the federal environmental regulations as well. Sure there are stock cars out there...just look at the laferrari, 918, the p1! Purchase one of them instead.

Go ahead. Im guessing 20k for the forged motor and another 20k for the twins from someone like Heffner.

why would anyone purchase one of those supercars? One could simply twin turbo any coyote motor and make 1000 hp, which would then make the coyote powered car far superior at that point. And don't even think about a lesser powered lower level mclaren or Ferrari or Porsche. With a twin turbo coyote you would practically deem those cars useless in every way...to hell with building a factory warrantied well balanced affordable car that can hook on the street or track and actually put that power down. Apparently you just don't understand ;)

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Once I twin turbo'd my 03 cobra, I became the fastest car in the United States. Gone were the days of worrying about cornering geometry and downforce. I had power oversteer to get me through any corner like tanner faust. I could take corners at twice the speed of lambos and ferraris, and routinely beat up on mclarens and porsche's.

Grip is over rated. Once I was making 900wtq on pump gas, I was able to drift like a champion through canyons. The TV series initial d is actually a copy right infringement of my life. I'm currently in litigation with those thieves.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
why would anyone purchase one of those supercars? One could simply twin turbo any coyote motor and make 1000 hp, which would then make the coyote powered car far superior at that point. And don't even think about a lesser powered lower level mclaren or Ferrari or Porsche. With a twin turbo coyote you would practically deem those cars useless in every way...to hell with building a factory warrantied well balanced affordable car that can hook on the street or track and actually put that power down. Apparently you just don't understand ;)

Edit...I did not see it.

Last edited:

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Oh and Chris I hear you about this being a track burner, but If the magnetic suspension is comfortable why not use it on the street. look at vmp, their boss track car made more power than the gt500 could on pump. A high compression engine that holds boost and is comfortable has many uses to me. This is off topic and speculation I know, and the fact that I have already added boost to the conversation just proves that it's not enough engine for me as it sits.
It is plenty of engine and hp for track use. Because you think it's not, I doubt you have any track experience whatsoever. No offense, but that means this car is not for you.
The GT350 brings a helluva lot more than "just" 526 hp to the table. But if you aren't using that hardware then a higher horsepower straightline car might be a better choice.
S.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I see what you did there.
S.

AZBOSS

Established Member
vvEWkkq.jpg

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ford is trolling us. I just can't believe we're only getting 429tq. It's gonna end up an encription and really be 924tq.

NametoShowOther

Established Member
Lol, the Ring. Lot of stock in any time posted from there. It's like a dyno, nothing more than a tuning tool. Or marketing nowadays with no sanctioning body or entity to verify cars are stock etc... So we take the word of a company with an agenda to move product. It would be the equivalent of running a ridiculously fast qualifying time and no sanctioning body making sure the car is within specs before race time.

Funny when GM posts a time it's called into question as a lie but other companies times are gospel it seems.

It is not just gm. Nissan took at a lot of crap as well. Pretty much everyone who is big in publishing times has taken crap. It is just that gm deserves it more than most

mike.s

Established Member
Once I twin turbo'd my 03 cobra, I became the fastest car in the United States. Gone were the days of worrying about cornering geometry and downforce. I had power oversteer to get me through any corner like tanner faust. I could take corners at twice the speed of lambos and ferraris, and routinely beat up on mclarens and porsche's.

Grip is over rated. Once I was making 900wtq on pump gas, I was able to drift like a champion through canyons. The TV series initial d is actually a copy right infringement of my life. I'm currently in litigation with those thieves.

lol!

specizripn

Established Member
Why is it so hard to please everyone? It seems like half the people on the forums wanted the GT350 to be a 9 second car that revs to 10,000 rpms and will incinerate a Forumla one car on a race track; all with an MSRP of $20,000... :bash: I mean 11 years ago the Mustang GT made half this power, revved to 5000 rpms, with way less torque, and nowhere near this flat of a power curve, and with much worse gas mileage. This new engine is lightyears ahead of the not so distant past.
And it doesn't make 526 hp @8500 rpms, it makes it at 7500. Give it cams, an intake with shorter runners, and proper equal length headers and you will be looking at a car that makes insane power at 8500+ rpms...

Users who are viewing this thread