GT350 manifold on a 11-14 engine

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
So does anyone know if the gt350 manifold can be adapted to our engines? Hopefully someone will try and make it work and have success.

hitmix300

Established Member
Ok, so here's the deal. The Voodoo (5.2L gt350 engine) has IMRC integrated into the intake manifold. This fancy ford acronym means "intake manifold runner control" or something like that. It basically manipulates the runners airflow to make more hp/tq, etc. The 11-14 5.0 coyote engines don't have the proper wiring harness for this feature.. The amount of engineering/rigging required to make this feature work with the older vehicles is simply not worth the gains, IMO. I doubt you'd have alot of luck/support making the IMRC work. Even if you we're to gut out the IMRC stuff, I think maybe the manifold wouldn't show as good of gains without IMRC.

check this image below for the vacuum canisters & solenoids to control the IMRC.

2016-Ford-Shelby-GT350-Mustang-engine-intake-manifold.jpg

en0550__5.jpg

Last edited:

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
That was one of my fears. This manifold is the only different option for me because of hood clearance(fox car). Id like to see the IMRC removed and tested without just to see. Thats a lot of coin to spend tho for an unknown. Maybe someone will do it...

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
There is no reason it shouldn't bolt up, after all S550 guys have been bolting on BOSS and CJ IMs. You could remove the vacuum canisters and find away to keep the charge motion valves open with epoxy etc. A few months back this was discussed with regard to an S550 coyote IM in this thread, but the poster never updated it with his results.

If one was really brave you could toss it in the oven set to 225-250 and see if you could separate it in order to remove the IMRCs. I would probably make a dry run with an S550 IM before I tried with a voodoo IM.

Last edited:

hitmix300

Established Member
I contacted a "friend of a friend" for the details on the IMRC and I was completely wrong. Sorry about that guys! I was interpreting it like the ford 5.4L 3V truck engine where it had a butterfly in the actual runner. it appears the voodoo has a passage on the wall that goes to the belly of the intake manifold the shorten the flow. see attached photo for details. you could easily remove all canisters/solenoids/plumbing and run the manifold. I'm tempted to do a test to see what kind of bolt on gains are seen by swapping to this mani.

33os10x.jpg

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
^^^^Thank you for that pic! I have yet to see any good shots of these runners until now... really shows how the IMRCs are incorporated into the runners. :beer:

AKDMB

Established Member
Would you need 2015 style heads for this to work? I hope the stellar gains aren't just because of the CMCV's. I know this is simple logic, but if the CMCV's weren't changed and the car didn't lose torque then the manifold itself didn't show any torque loss. Hopefully this will work on the 2011-2014 cars because it's what everyone has wanted all along, power past 6500 and no torque loss. I hate to have to dick with stuff to get it to work though.

hitmix300

Established Member
Would you need 2015 style heads for this to work? I hope the stellar gains aren't just because of the CMCV's. I know this is simple logic, but if the CMCV's weren't changed and the car didn't lose torque then the manifold itself didn't show any torque loss. Hopefully this will work on the 2011-2014 cars because it's what everyone has wanted all along, power past 6500 and no torque loss. I hate to have to dick with stuff to get it to work though.

The cylinder head intake manifold bolt pattern is the same for all 2011-2016 5.0L/5.2L. I might just have to order a manifold and a dyno day to see if this manifold is really worth it at all or not. I personally think the CMCV's are required for the voodoo's cam specs. The manifold might play real nice with a 5.0L. Who knows..

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
The cylinder head intake manifold bolt pattern is the same for all 2011-2016 5.0L/5.2L. I might just have to order a manifold and a dyno day to see if this manifold is really worth it at all or not. I personally think the CMCV's are required for the voodoo's cam specs. The manifold might play real nice with a 5.0L. Who knows..

Yeah should bolt right up. My only concern is the revised intake ports on the S550 heads, basically a cast version of the roadrunner/boss heads. The intake ports on S550 heads are larger than those on the 11-14 coyotes. The intake ports on the 11-14 coyote heads will probably|slightly shroud the runners of the GT350 IM.

Last edited:

Slowb00st

Established Member
Should be possible to control de CMCV with an RPMs Switch, would be a simple on/off but seems to be worth testing.

Last edited:

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
S550 indicates '15+.

Further, these manifolds are a direct bolt on for the 2011-14 also.

Unless you are stating the s550 has the electronics required to make the flappers function?

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
No, my thread is about this manifold on a 11-14 engine. You claimed it has already been done according to post #15. I want to see it on an 11-14 and see if there are gains/losses through the entire curve.

Shaun@AED

IMRC's default OPEN without vacuum. FYI
You do not need to hook them up to a vacuum / electrical source if swapping to an older Coyote.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
IMRC's default OPEN without vacuum. FYI
You do not need to hook them up to a vacuum / electrical source if swapping to an older Coyote.

In your opinion, is the GT350 manifold worth looking into for the older coyote?

Users who are viewing this thread