GT350 vs Hellcat

Whippled3v

Established Member
Made an ~8 hour round trip not long ago with my dad to pick up his new-to-him 2014 Raptor. We decided to take the GT350 and managed to find a fun run on the way back. We ran into a black hellcat challenger in stop and go traffic but it was impossible to get any action in at that point. Well a detour and 2 hours later, I see some familiar HID's quickly approaching me. My dad, following in the raptor, flashed his brights to signal what was coming but I already had a good guess at this point. Remembering the plates, it was the same hellcat lol.

***GT350 has cat delete/E85 tune, hellcat was an auto and likely stock. It sounded very throaty like it could have at least had exhaust, but I'm not sure how they sound stock with the exhaust open.***

After some playful back and forth pulls, we finally got in front of traffic enough to safely line up. I look over to notice his window half down and his wife/girlfriend in the passenger seat with her phone sideways. At this point, I knew he was ready for a clean run so I went ahead and honked it off from about a 60 (too much traffic behind to slow it down). Had to start in 3rd which isn't optimal at that speed, but I got out about half a car on him and held it for a while. When I went to 4th, he finally started to pull back. We were coming up on traffic but managed to stretch it to 135 or so, not quite the top of 4th. He had 1/4-1/2 of a car length on me when we shut down.

I was pretty pleased with this outcome, because going into it I was accepting of an ass dragging, especially since a lot of HC's you encounter at least have pulley/tune. And the exhaust was in his ear for all of 3rd gear so he at least had to hear a voodoo at 8k rpm lmao.

Whippled3v

Established Member
nice. yea being in the right gear is everything in a roll race. both badass cars.

Yeah it can do a 60 roll in 2nd but we were running 70+ just seconds before so got stuck in 3rd

OP, when are you turbo'ing or supercharging the GT350?

I planned on doing long tubes this spring to set up for a procharger, but I'm setting $$$ back for a house so trying to be financially responsible with the cars. If I keep it a while longer, I would still like to see a D1X on it though!

OneSlowV

Established Member
Hellcat should of walked past you pretty good was it a 6spd ? Good run though

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Boats for sure from a roll don’t matter as much . What’s a tuned header 5.2 put down ?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

E85, tune, header gt350 will make well over 500 to the tire, but chances are he wasnt running e85 on an 8 hour road trip?

I would still bet this particular GT350 traps over 120... HC definitely faster, but outcome as described seems plausible.

Zemedici

Established Member
E85, tune, header gt350 will make well over 500 to the tire, but chances are he wasnt running e85 on an 8 hour road trip?

I would still bet this particular GT350 traps over 120... HC definitely faster, but outcome as described seems plausible.

You're acting like these cars are fast or something.....

a 640whp hellcat should walk ANY N/A GT350....the cars just dont make power.

Hell even with a whipple they wont make 600wtq. lololol

@black99lightnin black key would make sense

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
^^ trust me im with you.. .love everything about the GT350 OTHER THAN the soft ass torque curve.

But.. they trap what they trap! Cant argue that.

I wouldnt mind one with Hellion twins tho? :p

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
could've been black key? SRT392 as they're the spitting image of a HC sans emblems and extractors in hood. Or what I've noticed, they're not very quick when left in default mode. Trans has to be in track, traction in sport to run like it should.

I am with you on this, unless the hellcat was laying 11s down behind him off the hit he should of ran from you in my opinion. i think it was a 392 car as well and not a HC.. good kill either way!

Whippled3v

Established Member
I am with you on this, unless the hellcat was laying 11s down behind him off the hit he should of ran from you in my opinion. i think it was a 392 car as well and not a HC.. good kill either way!

It was definitely a hellcat lol I’m very familiar with the cars. I was on E85 for the road trip and probably around 490-500 whp. But the car is 37xx lbs without me. Hellcat is over 4400 lbs plus a passenger.

GT350 would easily go 120+ in decent weather. He was the faster car and pulled up top. Outcome makes sense to me. A 392 or HC with black key would’ve gotten dog walked.

Whippled3v

Established Member
Anyone that’s driven a GT350 will tell you the lack of torque/low end is exaggerated. I hung with my buddies 500+ whp E55 off the hit when the GT350 was still stock. And anyone familiar with that platform knows they make a stupid amount of low end torque.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
It was definitely a hellcat lol I’m very familiar with the cars. I was on E85 for the road trip and probably around 490-500 whp. But the car is 37xx lbs without me. Hellcat is over 4400 lbs plus a passenger.

GT350 would easily go 120+ in decent weather. He was the faster car and pulled up top. Outcome makes sense to me. A 392 or HC with black key would’ve gotten dog walked.

I believe you, i guess i am not up on the e85 numbers on the Voodoo motors. Plus juan on the up top pulling you are right..

blk02edge

Established Member
I don't doubt it, an a8 hellcat challenger only pulled one length on my old 440whp cobra lol, shit happens.

Voltwings

Established Member
Anyone that’s driven a GT350 will tell you the lack of torque/low end is exaggerated. I hung with my buddies 500+ whp E55 off the hit when the GT350 was still stock. And anyone familiar with that platform knows they make a stupid amount of low end torque.

People also fail to realize how gearing and a powerband that revs to 8K+ affect things as well. I tell people that all the time, the 2011 M3 makes 100 less torque than the 2011 5.0 but they run almost identical 1/4 times and trap speeds - gearing and a broad ass powerband.

Users who are viewing this thread