Gt350r supercharger kits?

badmpg03

Established Member
Gents,
Pop says he needs more power in his R
Anyone using any blower kits with some track use?

Would like run 93 pump, lower boost level OK
Would like him to make 600whp - 700 whp
Limited weekend driving and 3-4 track days a year

Can’t find if VMP makes a kit.
2.9 whipple next best bet?
Vortech makes kit but I like positive displacement for response and low end tq

Pic for reference :D
Let me know if y’all have any thoughts

p1ua1.jpg

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
What fuel or fuel additive is he willing to use on track?
Because I would not run a 12:1 motor on the track on 93 pump without at least an octane booster on board.
That said, yes Whipple makes a proven GT350 kit.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd personally run turbos on a FPC deal, but the easiest quick low boost power is a Whipple kit. Can still run low boost/timing on 93, but he mentioned track days so that's minimum octane booster for track days for safety. I think there's been questions on these motors reliability wise, but others are holding up fine, even under boost.
-J

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Haven’t seen another PD blower besides whipple for the 350. Edelbrock says they have something in the works, but who knows how long that’ll be. I have always thought the whipple would compliment these things nicely, and the ones that stay together pump out some crazy numbers, but i wasn’t brave enough to throw one on. Good luck!

badmpg03

Established Member
Thanks for replies.
93 is preferred but it’s easy enough to run E85 in Houston, so might push him to that. I agree would feel more comfortable about it.
Have only talked to Hennessey about their Whipple kit. They claim runs 730-770whp on 93, claims to lower static compression in their tune, but they keep a stock motor. Don’t know how that sounds to me and they also want a lot for their Supercharger kit installed. I like that you get a little warranty with them, and the Hennesey package might have some resale value to it.
Dad wants to keep simple, bolt on/off parts. I lost him when started talking about turbos

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Thanks for replies.
93 is preferred but it’s easy enough to run E85 in Houston, so might push him to that. I agree would feel more comfortable about it.
Have only talked to Hennessey about their Whipple kit. They claim runs 730-770whp on 93, claims to lower static compression in their tune, but they keep a stock motor. Don’t know how that sounds to me and they also want a lot for their Supercharger kit installed. I like that you get a little warranty with them, and the Hennesey package might have some resale value to it.
Dad wants to keep simple, bolt on/off parts. I lost him when started talking about turbos

Remove Hennessy from your thoughts for the rest of your life...

Myself, I'd keep it simple and do an E85 tune and exhaust like @662 posted.

Otherwise:
(my pick) Hellion 2016+ Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 Twin Turbo System - Hellion Power Systems
2018-2015 Mustang Shelby GT350 | ProCharger
Whipple

badmpg03

Established Member

ANGREY

Established Member
Haven’t seen another PD blower besides whipple for the 350. Edelbrock says they have something in the works, but who knows how long that’ll be. I have always thought the whipple would compliment these things nicely, and the ones that stay together pump out some crazy numbers, but i wasn’t brave enough to throw one on. Good luck!

Technically the roots blowers are positive displacement as well as the twin screw. So the TVS, the VMP version of the TVS, Roush, all of them roots (and I believe all still made by Eaton).

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Track days in the south + PD blower..

You might ruin his car on track. Even factory built cars with super chargers have a tendency to overheat, even with a novice driver.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
Technically the roots blowers are positive displacement as well as the twin screw. So the TVS, the VMP version of the TVS, Roush, all of them roots (and I believe all still made by Eaton).
exactly, none of those have found their way to a 350 to my knowledge.

ANGREY

Established Member
The compression just doesn't lend well to boosted intake charge. I had a race 5.4 that was setup for 8.9:1 compression, because it was made for boost. 12:1 even at very low boost pressures is going to be relatively unsafe under certain conditions (high intake air temps in the Summer, bad batch of fuel, high gear, low rpm, uphill is a recipe for severe knock).

I took a serious look at supercharging, but given that I live in FL, I have concerns about doing it without lowering the compression. If at some point, there's either aftermarket heads that hog out the comb chambers to lower it or a combi of that and dished pistons, etc, I might consider it.

At some point I think we all realize there's no end to this path, there's always someone with more power and honestly with all the bells/whistles, the car makes enough power to roll over the tires in just about any gear. Other than flat out street/roll racing and half mile racing, I'm not sure how useful a blown 350 is anyway. I've changed my mindset to accept the car is supposed to be a track car, not a strip car or a street car. Having gobs of power for highway/interstate rips is loads of fun, but detracts from the balance of the car and also as discussed really endangers the motor, even if it's setup to be ultra safe/conservative.

badmpg03

Established Member
The compression just doesn't lend well to boosted intake charge. I had a race 5.4 that was setup for 8.9:1 compression, because it was made for boost. 12:1 even at very low boost pressures is going to be relatively unsafe under certain conditions (high intake air temps in the Summer, bad batch of fuel, high gear, low rpm, uphill is a recipe for severe knock).

I took a serious look at supercharging, but given that I live in FL, I have concerns about doing it without lowering the compression. If at some point, there's either aftermarket heads that hog out the comb chambers to lower it or a combi of that and dished pistons, etc, I might consider it.

At some point I think we all realize there's no end to this path, there's always someone with more power and honestly with all the bells/whistles, the car makes enough power to roll over the tires in just about any gear. Other than flat out street/roll racing and half mile racing, I'm not sure how useful a blown 350 is anyway. I've changed my mindset to accept the car is supposed to be a track car, not a strip car or a street car. Having gobs of power for highway/interstate rips is loads of fun, but detracts from the balance of the car and also as discussed really endangers the motor, even if it's setup to be ultra safe/conservative.

I can’t even roll the tires in 1st gear! :D Sport cup ii’s Are sticky
I don’t disagree with what you said. I have driven the car a lot and have grown to really like the car as it is. But I can see my Dad wanting more, as would I. Chassis is more than capable for more power and with another 100whp it would be perfect IMO. COTA is our big home track and it’s a high speed circuit. 350’s running 117 mph or so in the 1/4? That means the ZL1’s , C6/C7 Z06’s, GT3’s, modded M4’s, just about anything I see out there will chase you down on the straights.

I would roll the dice on 5psi on the motor, just wondering if anyone has done this yet and if there are any tips or things to know.
Maybe have to go e85 at least on track days to address heat concerns.

Also Hennessey is interesting because, as always, he offers warranty. that means if we wanted to crank it up to 770whp and see what happens, you probably can for his $30K kit.
I met John when I was a kid and when he was in the viper scene (am 33 now) and sucks what he put his customers through. I dont know specifics of his current operation, but they claim to have built 25-30 GT350/r’s. Not sure how many are still on the road

ANGREY

Established Member
Aside from my personal opinion that Hennessy is overpriced, I think you'll find way more negative feedback and opinions than happy customers.

It's been done with whipple. Reach out to Lethal Performance. They are the pioneers of twin screw 350s.

The only part of the Hennessy setup that's better is they actually lower the compression. Like I said, eventually someone will offer either a head modification (send em off) where they lower the compression a bit or a combination of that and some pistons that are dished to lower it.

There's also concerns that trying to run too much boost creates belt slip, which leads to belt tension, which puts undue torque on the snout which apparently ain't a very good thing with the flat plane crank.

I studied this long and hard and the potential dangers and drawbacks just led me to say, maybe not.

With $5k you can pick up nearly 70 rwhp with long tubes, catless x and an E85 tune. And you're not adding weight to the front end. Before I spent $30k with Hennessy I'd dump all that into a badass lightweight brake setup, carbon fiber body panels, headers and tune, etc.

Better brakes and aero and weight are probably gonna be money spent with a bigger effect than just more hp on track times.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Turbos are the "right" way to do it. Add e85 and call it done.

N/A power out of this car is simply not going to give him what he is after.

If he is intent on the track days, keep an eye on temps and reduce RPM to 78-8000 IMO.

12:1 is fine.... the Gen 3 Coyote in the 2018 Mustangs LOVE boost with the compression. Gotta give it good fuel tho... no 93.

badmpg03

Established Member
Not wanting to touch brakes, or aero. Car OEM parts are more than adequate for what we are doing
No body panels, this is fun weekend toy not stripper
Doesn’t have the straight line speed. Aside add 70hp to top end, motor just doesn’t make tq down low. 650whp is my target.

I’ll Reach out to lethal.

Users who are viewing this thread