gt40p heads and intake?? need advice and help..

03evil_mach_1

Established Member
ok well let me introduce myself.
Im Israel, old member use to own a 03 ow 5spd mach 1, sold it and well I got another stang. I picked up at 93 lx 5.0 hatchback, with a bunch of suspension mods, e303 cam, bbk equal length shorties, prochamer h pipe, 3.73 gears, lakewood bellhousing, maximum motorsports; panhard bar, sfc's, etc, girdle, just replaced the clutch with a ram clutch. its been taken care off..

But now my problem is, I didn't have money to replace radiator or have had time, and it over heated like twice, now its burning oil constantly. So I have made my mind up I want to get a set of heads of 96-01 explorer.
now my question is will they fit with out any problem? how much more hp?
Can I also use the explorers intake??

please any advice will be helpful, Im trying to do this swap this weekend if I can get my hands on a set of heads atleast.

here are some pictures of the lx.
DSC00423.jpg

DSC00424.jpg

DSC00425.jpg

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
now my question is will they fit with out any problem?
how much more hp?
Can I also use the explorers intake??

First off, FIX YOUR OIL LEAK BEFORE U MOD YOUR CAR.

to answer you questions in order:
yes but they need to be cleaned and checked by a shop EDIT: didn't the 96+ explorers come with a 4.6? I cant remember but if so then no, the heads wont fit. You might wan to verify before you go buying junk.
20hp MAYBE but dont get your hopes up, there not great heads to begin with
yes provided its not the intake off a 4.6

You might want to tackle the oil problem before you put heads on the car. Changing the heads wont necessarily fix the oil burning problem. Also, if you want to keep the head gaskets intact, you'll have the heads cleaned and milled by a machine shop before you install them. Your not very smart if you dont.

Last edited:

cotchnobra

Established Member
Predator I think the 5.0 was in the explorer till 98 if I'm not mistaken. The gt40p heads and explorer intake manifold are not worth much power like said above. If your not getting them at a smoking deal not worth it. plus you will still have to probably have a machine shop go through them. If trying to save money stick with the stock E7 heads and intake. Now you say it is burning oil a lot. are you sure it is not a piston ring/bad piston? It could just be the valve stem seals which you can replace without taking the heads off. No matter what get the burning oil problem fix or you will have spent money for no reason.

03evil_mach_1

Established Member
I just said, those years cuz i read those were the years they came with 5.0 unless they messed up.
And i know 4.6 heads wouldnt fit, its like asking if u can put gm heads on ford..obviously there not meant for the other...

And thanks for the advice..ima check the compression today if i can get a tester.
But if so would i have notice loss in power? Cuz if so i havent?
So you guys say stick with the stock heads? Could i run 1.7 rockers with out a problem? And also i got in the back of the car, and smoke comes out both tail pipes. Ive also checked oil for traces of coolant and seems clean..

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I just said, those years cuz i read those were the years they came with 5.0 unless they messed up.
And i know 4.6 heads wouldnt fit, its like asking if u can put gm heads on ford..obviously there not meant for the other...

And thanks for the advice..ima check the compression today if i can get a tester.
But if so would i have notice loss in power? Cuz if so i havent?
So you guys say stick with the stock heads? Could i run 1.7 rockers with out a problem? And also i got in the back of the car, and smoke comes out both tail pipes. Ive also checked oil for traces of coolant and seems clean..

smoke comes out both pips because you have an Hpipe. AS for the rockers, I have no clue what the piston to valve clearance would be with an E303 cam. If you gunna change out the heads you should look for a set of used AFR 165's, TFS street heats, or Windsor jrs. They can be had for well under a grand and will preform MUCH better. You would get a solid power boost AND there valves are still small enough to work with your cam provided you keep the 1.6 rockers.

Zacharyx

Established Member
your BBK shorties will probably not work with the P heads either, the early explorers had normal GT40 pieces so if you can find them it woulds be better than the later heads

cotchnobra

Established Member
1.7 rockers should work with the e303 cam but you will definitely have to worry about valve float. I would say stick with the 1.6 rockers. Usually with a bad ring or piston you should feel some power loss. To replace valve stem seals with head on the car you will need to first take off the upper intake manifold so you can get to all the valve cover bolts. Then pull the spark plug out hook up an adapter and run compressed air to it to keep the valve from falling into the cylinder when you take off the valve sprinp. Then you can pull the valve spring off with a valve spring compressor tool which will allow you to get to the seal. Valve spring compressor can be rented from your local part store. Pop the seal off then reverse the steps. Repeat 7 more times.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
The only problem you will have is headers. You will have to get a set of headers for the P heads. I am not sure if they make LTs yet. Last time I checked there was only shorties available. As far as intakes go they are the same heads as the GT40s just the spark plug port is slightly more angled. You can run any intake you want. I would suggest nothing bigger then a GT40. I have ported GT40 heads and a trick flow intake. It runs good but I think the TFS intake is too much for the heads. I know my cam is too much for that combo. If you decide to go with the p heads just build your combo around them. A e or b cam would be perfect for that set up.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I ran the e cam with 1.7s and I ran a f cam with 1.7s but I wouldnt recommend that with a f cam.

03evil_mach_1

Established Member
Well i have en e cam and to my knowledge its stock pistons andd crap..i just want a lil rouugher idle..
And ima do a compression test tomorrow after work...but ill prob remove heads and go get em checked out make sure there not warped or any damaged IF THE COMPRESSION IS OK

03evil_mach_1

Established Member
I think ima keep my stock heads.. ive been looking around and cant find something cheap...im just gonna save to do a 331 or something with tfs heads and intake later...

cotchnobra

Established Member
Would u have to run taller valve covers?

To run the 1.7 rockers with the stock valve covers you will have to cut the oil baffles out of the valve covers for the clearance. My question is to run the 1.7 rockers on the stock heads do you have to change the spring to keep from valve float at higher RPM? Also the length of the push rod would be a concern as it changes the angle and it wouldn't be sitting on the sweet spot of the valve stem. Wouldn't that put unwanted strain on the valve train?

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Does ur idle sound a lil rougher?
a little but this a cheap way to get it running perfect with any mods.
Ford Mustang IAC adjustable idle spacer kit 5.0 4.6
To run the 1.7 rockers with the stock valve covers you will have to cut the oil baffles out of the valve covers for the clearance. My question is to run the 1.7 rockers on the stock heads do you have to change the spring to keep from valve float at higher RPM? Also the length of the push rod would be a concern as it changes the angle and it wouldn't be sitting on the sweet spot of the valve stem. Wouldn't that put unwanted strain on the valve train?

This^

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
This thing can be a life saver if you just can't get you car to idle right. Hell I think ford used these when the Fox Body 5.0's were under warranty and they were brought in for idle issues.

It will make a x cam AFR heads, no egr, no smog, and a Victor jr intake idle with the ac on just like it came from the factory like that. I am using it with my E85 setup, Comp cam 35-351-8 510 lift 1.6s ported GT40s a TFS intake 75mm TB 30 lb injectors 90mm maf and a aeromotive fuel system. With a/c the car fires right up and idles as if it came from the factory that away. Now granted I have the A9T computer "SSP" computer which is a lot more forgiving then even the cobra from what I have read. The car runs great. Before the E85 switch it was still knocking down 17 on the hwy. Now its down around 12.

Users who are viewing this thread