Gt500 08 Dream becomes a nightmare.

Tighteyes

Established Member
Untitled.jpg Untitled2.jpg

here is a new updated TOTAL 18500....HOLY SHIT GUYS IS THIS REAL LIFE HELP ME SAVE MY OWN LIFE HOLY OH MY JESUS !!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Tighteyes

Established Member
That price is hideous.

Can't you get a complete long block for $8k or so?

https://www.racingjunk.com/8-Cylinder/182955625/Ford-Shelby-GT500-Built-5.4-Long-Block-Engine.html

I would imagine the ford dealer would only charge a couple thousand to install said long block?

Shit, for $18,500 you could convert it to a forged Coyote with a blower and crush everyone. Serious.
Yeah if i wanted H beams I'd save 1k . Also the heads arent stock they are built livernois heads lol... I decided why spend another 5k down the road. just have it built to go vroom. and they are only charging 985 to install the motor and tune it....

Tighteyes

Established Member
I dont really know if i can trust that add not to much information... To find heads alone used are like 3k....this add claims brand new heads and the only ones I could find were at livernois performance Dave wants 4700 for the pair.... If that wasnt a purchase my motor would only cost 12k...which is reasonable with parts and work that are going into it. They did spend a lot of time cleaning up the parts and we decided to go brand new on everything......

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I dont really know if i can trust that add not to much information... To find heads alone used are like 3k....this add claims brand new heads and the only ones I could find were at livernois performance Dave wants 4700 for the pair.... If that wasnt a purchase my motor would only cost 12k...which is reasonable with parts and work that are going into it. They did spend a lot of time cleaning up the parts and we decided to go brand new on everything......

Not second-guessing your choices... just want you to know there are cheaper options!

Pro-dyno, from everything ive read, is a great group of people!

Tighteyes

Established Member
Not second-guessing your choices... just want you to know there are cheaper options!

Pro-dyno, from everything ive read, is a great group of people!
I did reach out to that particular individual if he has a long block I'll go that route!

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Valves and guides can be replaced. Are your heads cracked? It would seem someone could rebuild them for a lot less than the route you're going.

Tighteyes

Established Member
Valves and guides can be replaced. Are your heads cracked? It would seem someone could rebuild them for a lot less than the route you're going.
No the heads aren't cracked but with porting and new guide valves and a valve job. Put me at 3800..... these are a 13 14 head fully built for 4700.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd shop that $3,800 price tag. Nothing wrong with stock valves and a good multi angle valve job. I don't really care what you do, but if you're trying to trim the cost of this rebuild, there are ways to do it and still get rid of the primary achilles' heel in this motor, the rods. Your money, your choice.

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Why not just machine your heads and block for the build? I don't see any holes in the block and your heads are fine. If you really wanted to save money just buy someone's stock shortblock, clean your heads up, and slap it back together.

Thabeast

Established Member
Sorry for your struggles. I would suggest staying away from big Whipples with a stock type crank. Vmp or Whipple 2.9 are more appropriate for stock forgings

blowbye

Bangin gears
Established Member
No the heads aren't cracked but with porting and new guide valves and a valve job. Put me at 3800..... these are a 13 14 head fully built for 4700.
Slawko heads are running a sale. Porting and valve job for $1500. Havent checked on guides yet but i cant imagine them costing more then $50 each

Still have that complete shortblock i offered you earlier. $1500 and its yours.

Zemedici

Established Member
How crazy are you wanting to go? If it’s going to be solely a fun street car I wouldn’t spend $5000 on cylinder heads. That could be used elsewhere or saved. As stated above unless your heads are trashed.....

I’d only do the heads if you’re going balls deep, needing every single bit of horsepower

Tighteyes

Established Member
How crazy are you wanting to go? If it’s going to be solely a fun street car I wouldn’t spend $5000 on cylinder heads. That could be used elsewhere or saved. As stated above unless your heads are trashed.....

I’d only do the heads if you’re going balls deep, needing every single bit of horsepower
Heads aren' trashed just want reliability. Also later porting would cost 3k.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Wow! You need someone here to put together a build list for you, that caters to your exact wants and needs... Then get a quote on that.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
seems like you need to figure out what your goal actually is.

You can make a shitload of power on stock heads, if it was an NA build it would matter more but with a blower its not so much of an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread