Gt500 6r80 swap ????

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
Yes. Pilot bearing was removed. I did a little test today with new starter and old starter.

This is a new starter. I was inside the car holding the key forward. This is the very issue I'm having. Car tries to start...kicks starter back...and then tries to start again but grinds loud. The last part of the video where it disengages fully was the guy holding is slipping off the ground bolt.

http://vid58.photobucket.com/albums/g242/03CobraTT57mm/video-1469748077_zpssfvlrarg.mp4

th_video-1469748077_zpssfvlrarg.jpg

This video is the old starter (which did the same thing as the vid above) being triggered with a battery, jumper cables, and a screwdriver to jump terminals. I did slip off of the terminal for a brief second in the video.

http://vid58.photobucket.com/albums/g242/03CobraTT57mm/video-1469751098_zps8azwo2xx.mp4

th_video-1469751098_zps8azwo2xx.jpg

salvador_gt500

I'm having the same issue with my 2011 after the 6r80 swap, I'm also using the circle D converter with their flexplate. it seems like every 4th to 5th start the starter catches and makes a loud grinding noise. at first I thought it was my starter and like you said, replaced it and it started up fine but then the issue came back. I thought it may have been the battery so I replaced it with an optima yellow top but the issue is still there. every time it makes the grinding noise I disconnect the battery for about 30 seconds and the car will start up fine after that, if the car sits for a couple of days the battery drains our and I need to jump start it.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
I've talked to multiple shops. No one has a clue what is going on. I ordered a push button start kit. I'm gonna bypass all the computer shit until someone can help me figure out what the issue is. At least with the push button kit wired direct I can control how long the starter is engaged.

Mine is definitely doing the exact same thing you are describing. After about 10 starts that's it. It won't start anymore. I have daniel at triangle speed trying to look into what causes this issue.

salvador_gt500

I just sent a message to Chris Sehorn since we are both using their flexplate, maybe that's the common variable. I'm also tuned by Daniel at TSS but the issue is on both my Lund tune and Daniel tune.

Random info: before the 6r80 my car made 797whp/783wtq lost about 70whp /wtq with the auto. I've ran a best of a 6.39 at 110mph after I went from 3.73s to 3.15 rear end gears. my best on the 1/4 before the gear swap was a 6.56 1/8 at 110mph and 10.39 at 137mph...the 6.39 should have me kissing high 9s

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
J

The HpTuner booth was a HPTuner dealer at Bradenton. Yet Eric Brooks from HPTuners was there as customer/tech/sales support for this dealer. You were there on Saturday afternoon and I doubt you got to meet Eric as I saw him walking the pits in the afternoon. My friend that installed a 5.0/6R80 in the 93 Lightening was with me. You two need to talk. He installed a truck engine and transmission in his Lightening. The 6R80 and the electronics controlling it are different than the Mustang PMC and transmission. He has got it up and running, but he hasn't gotten the final tuning done yet. It does drive a shift correctly with a Mustang PMC. He is now working to get the truck PMC tuned correctly to utilize the extra shift features that are only available with the truck transmission and PMC. As far as wiring goes I think I listed the guy and company he used to get all of that for you in the past. If you need it again let me know. The wiring wasn't difficult, only time consuming.

Was you friend able to retain the factory lightning gauge cluster and was the coyote ecu able to operate them? I am looking into the 6r80 swap to replace the 4r70 I put in my 03 Cobra years ago and trying to see what hurdles there will be using a coyote ecu.
Thanks,
Ken

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Has there been any movement with the Performance Automatic or Baumann 6R80 controllers?

I just emailed PBH about their swap kit. Is there a work around for boost gauge or will I just need to run a stand alone gauge?

TVS Vert, did you retain full functionality of ABS/traction control/Skid control? I want to do this really bad and would prefer the stand alone controller, but if I need to do it Auto Coyote ECU style I need to know its going to be the same turn key car, just with an automatic in her.

sleek98

Established Member
Has there been any movement with the Performance Automatic or Baumann 6R80 controllers?

I just emailed PBH about their swap kit. Is there a work around for boost gauge or will I just need to run a stand alone gauge?

TVS Vert, did you retain full functionality of ABS/traction control/Skid control? I want to do this really bad and would prefer the stand alone controller, but if I need to do it Auto Coyote ECU style I need to know its going to be the same turn key car, just with an automatic in her.

I am in the same boat as you, would prefer to use a stand alone but have a feeling it would be better to use the auto ecu. The factory boost gauge isn't accurate at all anyways so I use my ngauge right not to show me boost.

I am trying to figure out what all wiring needs to be done. I pulled the schematics for both a gt and a gt500 and they are 90% the same minus things like iat2 sensor and vct and some other small items. I wonder if the pbh harness fixes that since it says it used the factory engine harness.

TVS VERT

Established Member
They have been saying for 4-5 Years now that they are close to having a stand alone controller I think your going to be waiting another 2-3 years ....If they could crack the 6R80 in a standalone setup it would be out long ago, I really don't think its going to happen.

To answer the questions my car doesn't do anything different with the auto setup than the manual other than make it feel stupid fast.....everything works as if it came from ford that way .

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
After talking to PBH about the swap, for us GT500 guys we will just be literally swapping in body side harnesses, auto brake, gas pedal, trans harness and ecu itself. Reprogramming the ABS and cluster is what will kill it for me. In this instance its CA smog. Ill have to install the factory manual ECU in the car as it has the monitors for my EGR system. No egr monitor, no pass smog.

That and the mismatched ecus at that time along with the fact that Ill need to set monitors in a limp mode 6R80, I cant do the swap while Im in CA. Unless Im missing something or someone has a work around, lemme know!

sleek98

Established Member
After talking to PBH about the swap, for us GT500 guys we will just be literally swapping in body side harnesses, auto brake, gas pedal, trans harness and ecu itself. Reprogramming the ABS and cluster is what will kill it for me. In this instance its CA smog. Ill have to install the factory manual ECU in the car as it has the monitors for my EGR system. No egr monitor, no pass smog.

That and the mismatched ecus at that time along with the fact that Ill need to set monitors in a limp mode 6R80, I cant do the swap while Im in CA. Unless Im missing something or someone has a work around, lemme know!

Man if its just swapping the body side harness thats awesome. I figured we would need to repin the harness to get it all to work. I guess looking for a wrecked auto gt is prolly going to be the best bet that way I have all the parts.

TVS VERT

Established Member
Why wouldnt your EGR and emmissions BS work in California ? As stated several times no pinning of anything required no lose of any of the functions that your shelby currently has

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Hmm, I was under the impression that the PCM wasnt capable of EGR control, since Coyote doesnt have it but I understand now that they are similar in architecture. So it should be able to have the factory engine calibration loaded correct? Or does the factory calibration need to be "washed" if you will into the automatic trans PCM?

Is the Automatic calibration and control integrated with the engine calibration or is it a separate calibration in the same PCM?

Part of the CA smog inspection is verifying that the factory calibration is loaded and all monitors set. If the Coyote auto trans PCM can be programmed to show a Smog compliant calibration ID, and VIN# as ZeroSVT has stated he can program, then this is something I will be able to do!

Twinturbo Ranger

Established Member

Usshift (Bauman) is supposed to unveil their controller at SEMA. They are telling me that it should be available for purchase at the end of the year. I've been waiting for this for awhile so I hope that's correct. My car is older or I would use the PBH kit. I would lose my gauge cluster and all communications.

For the starter guys, have you tried spacing/shimming the starter? I use a PA SFI flywheel with my 4R70 and had a similar issue. I had to use washers to space/move the starter back.

Thanks Mike

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Usshift (Bauman) is supposed to unveil their controller at SEMA. They are telling me that it should be available for purchase at the end of the year. I've been waiting for this for awhile so I hope that's correct. My car is older or I would use the PBH kit. I would lose my gauge cluster and all communications.

For the starter guys, have you tried spacing/shimming the starter? I use a PA SFI flywheel with my 4R70 and had a similar issue. I had to use washers to space/move the starter back.

Thanks Mike

Stand alone controller would be veerrryyyy nice. Leads for engine speed, driver demand, throttle position, vehicle speed and brake light would make this controler a screamer! I just hope its a refined product given the apparent length of time its taken to develop.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Stand alone controller would be veerrryyyy nice. Leads for engine speed, driver demand, throttle position, vehicle speed and brake light would make this controler a screamer! I just hope its a refined product given the apparent length of time its taken to develop.

My shop/tuner has a great relationship with Baumann, I'll hope to give some positive news when available.
-J

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I got an email reply to my query from them SEMA is when this beautiful box is officially unveild. According to them it is a TRUE stand alone. :D yaaaaaay!

Users who are viewing this thread