GT500 as a daily driver?

JCH03SVT

Established Member
My cobra was totaled back in January and I really want another one but want it as a toy, but right now is not the best time to have a payment on my daily driver and a payment on a cobra. I am entertaining the idea of trading my jeep grand Cherokee in on a 07-09 GT500 to just drive on a daily basis. How many of you guys do that? It's hard for me to want to drive any mustang that much because of putting a lot of miles on them but I miss having a mustang and thought I'd get some opinions on this. I figured I might as well buy a Shelby since I can get one not much more than a low mile 11 or 12 5.0.

SuperFly03

Established Member
My cobra was totaled back in January and I really want another one but want it as a toy, but right now is not the best time to have a payment on my daily driver and a payment on a cobra. I am entertaining the idea of trading my jeep grand Cherokee in on a 07-09 GT500 to just drive on a daily basis. How many of you guys do that? It's hard for me to want to drive any mustang that much because of putting a lot of miles on them but I miss having a mustang and thought I'd get some opinions on this. I figured I might as well buy a Shelby since I can get one not much more than a low mile 11 or 12 5.0.

Drive mine daily. 44k on the odometer and still rolling.

I got a truck last year to split miles just because of sheer driving cost (cost of the Shelby vs a truck) plus I needed something to transport my dogs in.

I have no issues with it as a DD even with 800+ crank HP and stop and go Houston, TX traffic. Stock clutch is still crackin.

Be careful on the 07-08 clutches. Make sure the TSB was done or it has been replaced with an aftermarket one is all I have to say.

Other than that, party on!

cotten

Established Member
i daily drive my 2011. Best car I've ever owned. But I would highly suggest any color other than black for obvious reasons.

JCH03SVT

Established Member
Drive mine daily. 44k on the odometer and still rolling.

I got a truck last year to split miles just because of sheer driving cost (cost of the Shelby vs a truck) plus I needed something to transport my dogs in.

I have no issues with it as a DD even with 800+ crank HP and stop and go Houston, TX traffic. Stock clutch is still crackin.

Be careful on the 07-08 clutches. Make sure the TSB was done or it has been replaced with an aftermarket one is all I have to say.

Other than that, party on!

Ok good to know. I think I remember hearing about the clutch issues. I think it'd be a blast driving one every day!

JCH03SVT

Established Member
i daily drive my 2011. Best car I've ever owned. But I would highly suggest any color other than black for obvious reasons.

LOL I know all too well about black! I've already said I won't get one to drive daily. My 08 Gt and my cobra were both black and it was a pain. The cobra wasn't bad because I didn't drive it much, but still impossible to keep it clean long!

SuperFly03

Established Member
Ok good to know. I think I remember hearing about the clutch issues. I think it'd be a blast driving one every day!

It absolutely is. I had an '07 and then traded it for a Camaro SS... quickly came to realize the error of my ways and returned to the GT500 in '10 form.

Camaro is boring as hell to drive... GT500 makes me happy every time I sit down in it. Can't beat the feeling.

OFLM

Established Member
I have a 2012 GT500. It is my DD. I absolutely love driving the car every day, well with the exception of occasional snow. It is really nice looking forward to the drive home after a long day of work.

I just never wanted only looking at the car, but experience it. Time flys to fast. Did not want to wait until I am too old to push the clutch to drive it.

YukonRally

Established Member
Got my '12 last month and have been driving it daily. I planned to split the mileage between the car and my truck, but I usually want to drive the Shelby over the pickup. Unless I need to haul something, I hop in the GT500 and love it. So easy to drive, even in traffic.

aclass

Established Member
Drive my 2012 daily and mad when I cant. I've had the car for one year next month and other than the snowy, messy times here in VA, drive it every day. Just about ready to turn 10k miles.

My Monster

Established Member
I DD mine. I bought it in Jan with 2900 miles on it and it now has 8400. I got caught in a snow storm earlier this month driving through WV and didn't have any issues.

JCH03SVT

Established Member
Well I had no idea a lot of people were daily driving them. I guess I need to get past my issue with putting mileage on them and get me one and enjoy it!

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
We DD ours and it is the only car we own. I am out of town most of the time and my wife drives it to work.

dirtychamba

Django
Established Member
I daily drive my 2011 svtpp...

too school and work...

only regret is not putting on the (305/35/20) Mickey Thompsons earlier.

Catalac

Established Member
Each to their own, but my 08 not a daily driver for me ever. Too noisy mine has the dreaded front end clunk, tires howl, dynamated the whole arse end and doors and its still loud. springs are stiff, too few options, doesn't have climate control, outside temp, heated or cooled seats, no sync so manual tranny a pain for phone. positives stereo is ok, lots of power, its a looker. Owning a gt500 kind of like riding a Harley, loud, uncomfortable, but still cool and most who own love them, me included.

My 2012 f150 for daily driving, hand down.

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
I just bought mine and will DD it. It is a little stiff over bumps so if your commute involves going through extremely poor terrain, then get something more comfortable. However our roads in the US aren't that bad, and you'll get over it.

On the flip side- it's an absolute joy to drive! I love every minute of it, and now getting to a destination is fun.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to DD this car. I DD's my 99 and 03 Cobra through some terrible weather, snow, rain, the works and that was fine. This car is leap years ahead in comfort.

SuperFly03

Established Member
each to their own, but my 08 not a daily driver for me ever. Too noisy mine has the dreaded front end clunk, tires howl, dynamated the whole arse end and doors and its still loud. Springs are stiff, too few options, doesn't have climate control, outside temp, heated or cooled seats, no sync so manual tranny a pain for phone. Positives stereo is ok, lots of power, its a looker. Owning a gt500 kind of like riding a harley, loud, uncomfortable, but still cool and most who own love them, me included.

My 2012 f150 for daily driving, hand down.

'07-'09?

Nsssane1

Established Member
Heck yeah, drive it, so when we are ready to sell these in a few years mine will have low miles and go first.lol

But no problem daily driving it at all if you wanted to. I have a DD and prefer not to put the miles on mine, and it sucks the gas. But I do love driving it. Makes it much more enjoyable to drive because I dont DD it.

Users who are viewing this thread