GT500 Engine in a 65 Comet

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
the interior looks nice, love the classic styling!

what this car really needs is a set of these...
EC300%20jpg.jpg
...every car needs a set of cut outs!!! well, maybe with an exception to the 4 bangers, lol.

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
thanks for the update and it is coming along nicely. i was not too hip on the stingray pieces but i have to admit that they flow well with the interior. april is not too far away..woohoo!

500DRAGPAC

Established Member
can't wait to see it finished and me I meen you driving it around.good luck your a lucky man and I hope your wife likes cars or she won't see much of you.

krashyman

SVT Engine Only Poster
Established Member
Hi all. Thanks for everyone's comments, and sorry I haven't posted for awhile.

Since my last post, most of the exhaust was installed (see more on this below) and the shop took the car out for some testing. Turns out that the hydraulic throwout bearing for the clutch was a bad part -- this apparently became pretty clear when the clutch pedal slushed to the floor and stayed there (and then the fluid dripping out from under the car confirmed it). Anyway, the manufacturer of the part was good enough to step up and send a new part to the shop . . . it took awhile, but arrived last week and is being installed by the shop now.

The other thing that happened was installing the exhaust. We're using the Art Morrison Max G chassis, and the suspension in the rear has a panhard bar that runs at a diagonal from the frame at one side of the car down to the top of the rear end. This means that there are clearance issues with running the exhaust over the axle on that side of the rear end -- especially because the frame has a great feature of having holes that allow the exhaust pipes to pass through the frame before getting to the rear end and axles. Anyway, the initial solution was just to dump the exhaust before the rear end by using turndowns under the car. After some research, however, we decided that we really wanted to run the exhaust out from under the car and to use tailpipes (and we already had bought the tips). So, the shop called Art Morrison and found out that the panhard bar could be bent up to 22.2 degrees without affecting the geometry or harming its structural integrity. The shop was able to bend the bar only 16 degrees to get the clearance we needed, and the exhaust now runs up and over the axle on either side of the rear end (under the panhard bar on one side) and out the rear on both sides under the back bumper. All that's left to be done is to install the tips.

I've included a picture of the exhaust and the bar after it was bent. I've also included a couple of pictures of the car pulling out of the shop on its fateful first test run.

We should only be a couple of weeks away from the car being completely finished and delivered (assuming no more problems with testing), and I'll post again when I know more.

Thanks,
Josh

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
man, that thing looks great sitting out in the sun mostly complete! i didn't figure the hood would look bad after seeing the pics of it primed, but it looks absoloutley perfect with a coat of paint on it! looks factory even!

krashyman

SVT Engine Only Poster
Established Member
Thanks all, really appreciate all the comments.

Here are some pics from yesterday's test day at the track. I wasn't there, but the shop said the Comet did pretty well. A couple of minor issues (some tire rub when there is a heavier load on board and some tuning issues), but nothing that can't be tweaked in short order. It's getting reeallly close!

Check out the GT500 badging on the front grill -- it's the only badging on the exterior of the car (it doesn't say "Comet" at all), and I think it came out great!

Thx,
Josh

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Josh:

Looks very nice! :thumbsup: Can't wait to hear it run once you guys shake the bugs out of it!

I know it takes a while to sort a brand new car out.

Good luck with it!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

krashyman

SVT Engine Only Poster
Established Member
Yeah, I definitely will get some video/audio up on this thread once the Comet arrives. The bugs should be easy to work out, and the shop owner told me that it is the fastest car he's built so far (and he has built a bunch). He's guessing that it will be about an 11-second car, but who knows (especially with the not-too-wide tires on it). It wasn't built to be a drag car, so the quarter mile time will be fun to know, but not everything. More importantly, he said that it handles amazingly and feels like a modern performance car as you drive it around. Mike Coughlin of Team JEGS drove it, and it's a real honor that he was one of the first drivers of the Comet!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread