GT500 Hood vents

LuiiSVT13

Established Member
Anyone tried adding hood vents for cooler engine temps?

I experienced limp mode at a local track recently. Though the weather temps didn’t help the already hot engine yee it was HOT.

Now looking into Race louvers for the GT500. Not going to butcher my OEM hood so I plan on buying another hood in which GT500 hood different from a regular 5.0 hood? What I mean is a regular hood have the same clearance as the GT500 for the s/c? Sorry for the silly question still new to the chassis. I am going to try out the Race louvers and if it works well then I’ll go CF for a bit of weight savings.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
No the 5.0 will not work. If your serious about venting look at tiger racing hoods. They are specifically made for cooling.

LuiiSVT13

Established Member
Found a GT500 hood with cf vent for $200 figures I butch that hood up with vents and see if it’s progress. Yes my friend has it on his boss 302, I wonder if it would fit due to the s/c.

Last edited:

LuiiSVT13

Established Member
Do you have a bigger heat exchanger? That will help as well

I do not. I read somewhere a while ago the 13-14 had a pretty good size and there not much difference in the aftermarket for them? I could be wrong it’s been a while where I got the source of info. I’ll look into it again.

I was thinking something similar to this GT500 only instead of using trackspec maybe go with race louvers.

Attachments

• A1BB452C-6A8C-4BC1-97A6-E52D2DDE4F1A.jpeg
    A1BB452C-6A8C-4BC1-97A6-E52D2DDE4F1A.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 153

RBB

Established Member
I'd upgrade the heat exchanger before I'd start messing around with the hood. The 13-14 has an upgraded intercooler over previous years but it's of no benefit to you when you're not moving, which is exactly what the issue is at the track. You're sitting there staging with the car on and IATs are going through the roof. Get a C&R or VMP triple pass with fans so air is moving when you're stationary. They make a big difference. If you need more go with a trunk ice tank, or if you don't want to get that involved, an aftermarket intercooler reservoir that you can add ice to. You'll be all set.

LuiiSVT13

Established Member
Dang I should have specified the type of track I attend. It was a road course doing road racing reason why I was looking into vents.

I could understand for dragstrip the need for upgrade. That Ice tank doesn’t seem like a bad idea. I had something similar on a dsm but that car was more for dragstrip than my other road course dsms. Appreciate the insight.

RBB

Established Member
Dang I should have specified the type of track I attend. It was a road course doing road racing reason why I was looking into vents.

I could understand for dragstrip the need for upgrade. That Ice tank doesn’t seem like a bad idea. I had something similar on a dsm but that car was more for dragstrip than my other road course dsms. Appreciate the insight.
Sorry Luii, I assumed drag strip since that's generally what we see around here. Not too many guys that hit the road courses, but we do have a couple. Maybe one of them can jump in and help you out here. Other than a vented hood and running water instead of antifreeze, I'm at a loss in that type of environment.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Have you taken off the hood blanket yet?
Serious question.
If so, just hack up the stock vent first before the hood.
-J

LuiiSVT13

Established Member
Tomshep, yes the car is stock. Man that’s awesome you didn’t have the issue I did. I wonder why i didn’t have a similar experience to you then?

biminiLX, I haven’t removed the blanket but I did purchased a used gt500 hood for $150 and plan to use that one to cut up. But I could remove the blanket off that one and see if that helps.

blue 07

Established Member
I changed my hood to a Cervini GT500 Type 4 Ram Air hood which had minimal hood vents when I recieved it. My body guy actully cut them out completly underneath but left the hood vents on the top. Sitting in the car you can see heat pouring out the vents. Also front ram air style vents seem to help as well. Every little bit helps.

Attachments

• IMG_4453.JPG
    IMG_4453.JPG
    289 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_4464.JPG
    IMG_4464.JPG
    268.8 KB · Views: 107

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Tomshep, yes the car is stock. Man that’s awesome you didn’t have the issue I did. I wonder why i didn’t have a similar experience to you then?

Only mod mine has is removal of the weatherstrip at the back of the hood. It comes off easily. I figured this would be a way to allow more heat out. Otherwise, all stock as far as motor, mods, etc.

Tom

PM-Performance

Established Member
None of these suggestions are going to help.
You need to get the underhood temps down more.
Then get more evacuation into the bay. A purpose designed hood will help, aftermarket cool looking vents won’t help in the slightest.
Nor will HE’s
A better IC brick will help as well

Been there done that.

Users who are viewing this thread