GT500 IC/HE Pump Comparison

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I have been following this thread for a while and I was wondering if you tested the pressure cap and checked the lip of the reservoir for damage/proper seal. It could have be pre-existing issue that only became evident with the increased coolant flow.

With that said, it still appears that there is a foaming issue that needs to be addressed.

Foaming is from the fluid level being too low...keep the level on par with the feed side(full submersion) and its a none issue....however you choose to achieve that. My buddy Jim Larocca did these mods 5 years ago with his 07...he runs the Ford GT pump though. Flow is 20gpm with 1" hose...with 3/4" its 16gpm :) if your gonna change pumps...go biggest you can get and thats the Ford GT....if you can find one.

Last edited:

HooperWest

DECIDER
Established Member
I have been following this thread for a while and I was wondering if you tested the pressure cap and checked the lip of the reservoir for damage/proper seal. It could have be pre-existing issue that only became evident with the increased coolant flow.

With that said, it still appears that there is a foaming issue that needs to be addressed.

^^^
The cap, reservoir and seal are all OK.

I have performed a purge of the system following Van's instructions and took Justin's advice on the coolant and happy to report that there is no longer a foaming issue.

That said I have only driven the car on the street, I have not had the car back to the track since the issue, but will report back after it's back on the track later this month.

Last edited:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Monroe-20130725-00119_zpsmg26essx.jpg

Steve@Tasca

I was just looking at that. Steve, what was the original application for DR3Z-14A411-C?

Off the top of my head:

D - decade code, in this case 2013
R3 - product line code, in this case Mustang
Z - Ford Service Division

14A11 - basic part number, in this case a harness
C - design revision number

Am I right? Because I can't find the '13/'14 IC pump in at Fordparts.com (I've been through every category) or harness. I'm just wondering if it is indeed the '13/'14 GT500 production IC harness.

This is all I can get to come up if I try to simply enter the part number instead of searching through the proper vehicle, engine, transmission, etc...

zCapturezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

Sorry for the delay responding, you are decoding the number correctly. Pigtails can have multiple uses although when I search my parts catalog by that part number it ONLY comes up as a '13-'14 IC pump pigtail.

You'll find different part descriptions between the service manual, parts manual and on line catalogs so always take them with a grain of salt.

-Steve

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thanks Steve. If it is indeed true that Justin at VMP is no longer carrying the necessary harness(es) for this pump upgrade for '07-'12 GT500's, then I suspect there are a few that will indeed be looking for the appropriate pigtails to piece together the missing pieces to this puzzle.

Steve@Tasca

Thanks Steve. If it is indeed true that Justin at VMP is no longer carrying the necessary harness(es) for this pump upgrade for '07-'12 GT500's, then I suspect there are a few that will indeed be looking for the appropriate pigtails to piece together the missing pieces to this puzzle.

You guys know where to find me for whatever you need, I'm not going anywhere.

-Steve

scotsam

Established Member
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, United States

I just got a harness/kit from vmp about a week or so ago. It was a pain bleeding the sys. But wow does this pump move fluid. Car definitely makes power longer. I have to run some logs for lund yet. When I do I'll see what kind of difference i have from the last ones.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
You guys know where to find me for whatever you need, I'm not going anywhere.

-Steve

Good man.

I just got a harness/kit from vmp about a week or so ago. It was a pain bleeding the sys. But wow does this pump move fluid. Car definitely makes power longer. I have to run some logs for lund yet. When I do I'll see what kind of difference i have from the last ones.

Normally I'd at least have verified if what I've read had any merit (or at least have pm'd Justin). But I've seen it mentioned twice in the past few days by two different people.:shrug:

Looking forward to your results.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm ordering up parts discussed here to make my attempt at installing the newer pump in my '12. Appreciate all the part numbers and other advice.

scotsam

Established Member
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, United States
I'm ordering up parts discussed here to make my attempt at installing the newer pump in my '12. Appreciate all the part numbers and other advice.

If you cut the rubber off the old bracket and drill open the slot in it you can screw the vmp bracket/clamp right to it. Just give the bracket a quick spritz with black paint and you won't even see it.

rdanzy

Established Member
if you run two pumps in series you will increase the pressure but little increase in flow. If you run two pumps in parallel the flow will increase with maybe an increase in pressure.

Has anyone run two pumps in series. After reading what the zl1 guys and ctsv guys are doing it looks like this would be the better rt to take.

HooperWest

DECIDER
Established Member
file_zpsfb3a1c53.jpg

file_zps79b3c036.jpg

Well my last track day saw the bottle breach again, I tried recommendations in regard to water/coolant ratios and reduction of total coolant amount and both were not successful at keeping the preverbal lid on the bottle, after 4 or 5 laps, overheating and significant frothing of the coolant continue.

This new pump is a beast and the entry into the bottle on the return is so volatile that the coolant continues to get aerated and hot, eventually stops performing, then boils out around the Cap and makes a mess...:shrug:

After looking at the 2013 GT500 Fiche it is clear that the routing is very different on the newer cars, the Reservoir is also smaller in the 2013+ set up, but I don't think the fact that I have Van's oversize reservoir, has anything to do with my problem. It is just flowing too fast and probably not even remaining in the intercooler long enough during the circulation.

Moving forward, I was thinking a variable speed switch on the pump may work and it's flow could simply be turned down a bit, the other solution, suggested by Tob, is one of his bypass set ups, a more complicated solution that may require some fabricated parts.

All opinions, on a possible solution are welcome, as I have to get this sorted and going to start a fix this week.

Does the variable speed switch make sense?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread