GT500 rods

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member

97cobra...

Established Member
The same thing happened to me in a Gen 1 SHO ~20 years ago. Rod in cylinder No. 1 let go at about 5k rpm. Those motors were supposed to be rev-happy and invincible to over 8k rpm. Well, I had beat on it the night before. I learned that day that shit happens.

Very true I’ve seen a maybe 280 whp 96 cobra send a rod thru the block

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Probably going to ruffle some feathers, but was ford that cheap they couldn’t continue to use the Terminator rods or those from the ford GT when they knew people would be pushing these cars. Not a fan of crack powdered forging myself.

Didnt you post this exact same video a week ago under headline "GT500 vs. Terminator?" Dumb.

To your point, Ford added 25% more displacement. I will take cubic inches over rods any day of the week.

PS still not going to watch your dumb AF YouTube channel.

Last edited:

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I bend a rod/broke and windowed my block with less than 750hp and it happened at 5200rpm.
2012 gt500 with 8000 miles on it tuned by luned

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

That sucks man. But it is a fluke. For every one of you there are 100 others that are running same or similar set up with no issues. Cannot recall any thread on guys blowing up at 750whp on stock internals. Honestly cannot recall any thread on any 5.4/5.8 blowing up for any flaw that is common to any of them.

RBB

Established Member
That sucks man. But it is a fluke. For every one of you there are 100 others that are running same or similar set up with no issues. Cannot recall any thread on guys blowing up at 750whp on stock internals. Honestly cannot recall any thread on any 5.4/5.8 blowing up for any flaw that is common to any of them.
There have been a few here over the years, but it's not common on motors that are properly treated. Over revving and detonation/fuel issues are the big killers.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
There have been a few here over the years, but it's not common on motors that are properly treated. Over revving and detonation/fuel issues are the big killers.
I saw a thread over on fordgt500.com from years ago about a guy that had a 2012 and a cracked piston. Much of the piston support structure around the pin cracked off.

Later in the thread a pic of the top of the piston showed a TON of carbon and oil coking. Everyone asked for a pic of the rod on that cylinder but the thread died. My guess was that the guy was beating on it running pump gas and that cylinder detonated due to the fuel quality.

Which, now that Im think about it, makes me thankful I never had an issue while in boost on 91.... ***edit*** and also thankful that the tunes Ive used were/are conservative-ish

devilish64

Established Member
My cammed tvs car has made 870rwhp for some time on the stock 07 shortblock.... it is a 6r80 car now. It is almost always on e85 and i try not to over rev it and keep it off the limiter. It is a weekend toy so the likelihood of a failure is much less than a daily at this level. It works for me

Users who are viewing this thread