• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Gun Owners (obama)

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Jack32v, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Fast Freddy

Fast Freddy GPS'D 225 Established Member

+1

2. Grizzly Adams

Grizzly Adams Resident Hippie Established Member

And did you know that Obama voted for the Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act which ensures that firearms cannot be seized during a disaster after that happened?

3. Hmbre97

Hmbre97 Eaton powered Established Member

The fact is most of these liberal douche bags want to ban shit that they have no knowledge of just because it sounds scary.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospNRk2uM3U"]YouTube - Carolyn McCarthy[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfKADcfE90U"]YouTube - That Pesky Assault Rifle Ban[/ame]

4. Jayls5

Jayls5 New Member Established Member

I just recently got into guns. I was told I couldn't buy another handgun for 30 days. Obama voted for this?

That's ridiculous. You can buy as many magazines as you want for your gun, yet you can't have more than one handgun in a month? Let's be charitable and assume that someone wanted to acquire a gun legally in order to commit mass murder. Why would this law in any way make him less effective at killing? He's not limited on buying ammunition or magazines; preventing another gun purchase does nothing for practicality other than hurt a gun business.

Let's also ignore the fact that it doesn't consider any aspects of the gun. You can buy a Glock 17, which holds 17+1 of 9mm ammunition. Or, you can buy a crappy .22 pistol with half the capacity, and you'd have the same wait time. Why?

There is nothing I hate more than when people use ideology before any common sense or knowledge about something they intend to enforce.

5. redfiresvtsnake

redfiresvtsnake Active Member Established Member

I got all I need.

Armalite AR-10T, 24" barrel assualt rifle, check.
    lots and lots of 7.62 rounds, check.
    10 power optical range finding scope, check.
    Night vision ANVIS 9 goggles, check.
    Kimber 1911 .45 cal hand gun, check.
    Lots and lots of .45 ammo, check.
    semi automatic 12 gauge and ammo, check.
    Armalite short barrel AR-15 with telescoping butt stock, check.

I got what I need. Still trying to make myself pay the outrageous federal tax for a supressor for the AR-10.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  6. txyaloo

txyaloo New Member Established Member

$200 isn't all that bad. At least you're not wanting to buy a .22 suppressor. I chuckle every time someone buys one because the NFA tax is more than the cost of the suppressor.

Can you actually get CLEO sign off in VA?

7. redfiresvtsnake

I'm not a resident of VA since I'm in the military. I'm a PA resident. $200 isn't that bad, true. I looked at one for the .223 cal AR-15 I have and it's much more expensive. I believe I was quoted $400 for the federal tax, plus the cost of the suppressor.

8. txyaloo

The tax is always $200. Sounds like that suppressor is either owned by a private party or a non SOT FFL. If that's the case, you have to pay two taxes. It makes more sense to buy from an SOT FFL and pay the tax once.

If you're living on post, you need to check with the garrison commander. Some won't allow NFA weapons on base which makes no sense to me. Also, they have to be housed in the state they're registered. So, if you plan to fill out your forms in PA and get CLEO sign off there, the firearms must stay in state unless you have an approved BATFE form 5320.20 (Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain National Firearms Act (NFA) Firearms). The 5320.20 is only good for one year to a specific location.

9. redfiresvtsnake

Yes the dealer said there is two taxes on the suppressor I'm looking at getting. I'll be keeping everything in PA since that is where the weapons are registered at, except the AR-15 and 1911, which I have a CCW from the state of VA to carry. The one year thing is what gets me. So I have to leave the toys at home in PA :bored:.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  10. txyaloo

You should really look at getting it from another dealer then. No reason to pay an extra $200. FYI - two taxes means two background checks. With the current (and possible extended) backlog, you might have to wait a year for the whole transfer to go through.

If you can have the suppressor on post, or live off post, just fill out a 5320.20 each year you'll be stationed in VA. Some people routinely do this at the end of December. They'll send multiple 5320.20's to the ATF for each state they may visit in a year. That way they're covered.