Gun Question

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Okay, so I don't own a piece, but have been thinking alot lately about buying one. I'm looking for a good resource to research various guns against each other. I have seen alot of this gun is better than this gun stuff, and I want to start looking at different brands.

I know I want a 9mm, partly because they tend to be smaller and easier to carry, CCW is the ultimate goal, and partly because the ammo is inexpensive in comparison to other rounds.

I already know that there is a couple H&K guns I like, but I want to have a broad perspective.

So any advice and/or links to sites with good somehwat unbiased opinions would be appreciated.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I personally would recommend moving to a .40cal hand gun, much greater knock down power. See if you can arrange to shoot a 9mm and compare it to other hand guns of larger caliber.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
I have an in-law that works at a firing range, I will be shooting several guns. One of the reasons I chose 9mm was because of the relative price to other rounds, once I am sure of my proficiency I will probably step up to a larger caliber.

I do appreciate the input.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
www.hkpro.com

I love my P2000sk 9mm. If you get one I'll hook you up with the guy that made my holster. It made carrying quite pleasureable.

gunsz019.jpg

DSCF3657.JPG

stanger133

From my cold dead hands!
Established Member
With the HP technology we have today, I am confident with a 9mm. I believe shot placement is the greatest factor. Find out if there is a gun store around you that rents guns, hold as many as you like and rent the ones that feel good in your hands, remember the ones that you like and research them. Are alot of people having problems with them, FTF, FTE? Remember, revolvers don't jam, if one round didn't fire pull the trigger and fire the next one.

I ordered a Sig p239 9mm today and can't wait to get it, it will be my first Sig. I rented one at a gun store in PA and loved it.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I have a springfield xd 40 sub compact. It's small and pack a good thump. I'd buy it again. Just don't worry about price, test all you can and see what fits your hand best. The more comfortable the gun is the better you'll shoot it and the more confident you'll be with it.

Trbo6gn1

Established Member
Ive got the full size .40 cal glock 22. Not a good ccw gun but ill be damned if it isnt the most reliable, easily broken down and accurate gun ive ever shot. Id look into some of the sub compact glocks. i've got the 180 gr. federal hydroshock hollow points in mine, and the m-3 streamlight. Sigsauer also makes some very nice weapons. just a heads up when you go to buy one dont refer to it as a "piece" or else you'll end up looking like a gangster looking for something to use in a drive by.

HPIM1806.gif

HPIM1805.gif

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member
I have an in-law that works at a firing range, I will be shooting several guns. One of the reasons I chose 9mm was because of the relative price to other rounds, once I am sure of my proficiency I will probably step up to a larger caliber.

You can pick up something in .40 and install a 9mm barrel, but you typically can't install a .40 barrel in a 9mm slide. I have a 9mm barrel for my Glock 27 for plinking, but I carry it with the .40. 100 rounds of 9mm is only about $5 cheaper than .40. Plus, with the Glock, the 9mm rounds feed with no problems from a .40 magazine. It's the best of both worlds.

STG

Banned

I took a combat training course from Pat Goodale. He's a very well known instructor with a few decades of special ops and law enforcement training experience.

I spoke with him extensively about calibers - that topic that EVERYONE has an opinion about.

I like 9mm for a lot of reasons. It is common and cheap. Therefore, I practice more.

Will it stop as well as a .45 or .44? No, but I can empty all 21 rounds of my +2 magazine in my Glock 17 into a 18" X 18" target very quickly. Can't do it with my .45 caliber Glock 21.

I carry a glock because it is reliable and simple. No external safeties. It's either loaded or not. Glocks are high capacity - I'd rather put 10 rounds on target with a 9mm than miss four times with a .44 Magnum.

Whatever you do, take a real firearms self defense class. Lean the law as well as how to shoot. If you don't go through 500 rounds during your class, it wasn't the right class.

Oh. Pat Goodale carries a 9mm Clock 19.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
there's only one reason to carry a 9mm.. that's what the military uses.. BUT it's an ineffective round as a "man stopper" (but that's true for just about any handgun round)

BUT.. it's better than nothing. My personal handgun is a Springfield Armory 1911-A1 GI issue stainless in .45 ACP..

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
You need to go to a gun store and handle the guns to get a good feel for them to see which ones are comfortable for you. When I started learning I just started looking at which guns were the most popular and tried to find someone who had them so I could try them out and get a feel for them. Luckily I have a lot of gun happy friends so I got a good feel for a lot of guns.

My personal favorite so far though has been the Sigs and the Kimber 1911s. They are by far the most comfortable to hold and shoot IMO. I would say you should get at least a .40 for a carry. There is a reason police use 9mm only and that is because it holds stopping power, but is generally a non-lethal round like stated above. You really can't go wrong with a .45.

You may find that a full size gun may be more comfortable than a small compact. Also "concealed" doesn't necessarily mean hidden. Nevada is probably a little different than Washington in it's gun laws but here you can carry a gun as long as you are not brandishing it or waving it around in public. So I could wear it completely exposed to everyone just as long as it was in a holster on my belt or like what my buddy wears when he rides which is tactical thigh holster for his Glock.

Last edited:

STG

Banned
there's only one reason to carry a 9mm.. that's what the military uses.. BUT it's an ineffective round as a "man stopper" (but that's true for just about any handgun round)

BUT.. it's better than nothing. My personal handgun is a Springfield Armory 1911-A1 GI issue stainless in .45 ACP..

I got through all my combat exercises with my G17 (+2 mag) without reloading. The guys with 1911s were littering magazines all over the range.

I guarantee two 9mm rounds in the pelvis and two COM will stop you.:dancenana:

Users who are viewing this thread