Guys with Kawasaki Ninjas (Question?)

REPCobra10

Established Member
Hey, guys. I just recently picked up an '06 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, the 636cc. I bought it used of course and I'm wondering if any of you guys on here could help me with a question that I have. I was wondering what the stock rear-sprocket specifications are, in other words, how many teeth does it have in stock form? I ask because I notice that my speedo is way off, especially at interstate speeds, and the fact that it seems like my top-end comes up way too quick and I hit a wall much faster compared to other comparable bikes that I have ridden. Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks, guys.

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
Call Central Sports at 860-886-2407 and ask for the parts department.

REPCobra10

Established Member
Thanks, Juice33. I called them and they informed me that it is supposed to be a 40-tooth rear-sprocket. The bike has a 43-tooth rear-sprocket on it right now as it sets which is how I bought it so I'm definitely going back to the stock 40-tooth rear-sprocket. Anyways, thanks again for the number. They were very helpful.

bettner12

Iraq bound
Established Member
you check on the front too? you know that when replacing sprockets it's best to do it as a complete system ( front, chain, rear) because they wear together. a smaller front sprocket will accelerate chain wear because for how small a radius the chain has to rotate around

Nino S

Established Member
man just get a "speedohealer" (you can google it). it comes stock with a 40t rear and if you have a 43T it really makes the bike a lot more fun to ride and tons easier to wheelie. If the guy went up 3 teeth in the rear then he probably went down one in the front sprocket. If the bike feels to aggressive right now then go back to stock until you get a hold of it but if you can handle it then just get a speedohealer or have a custom bike shop re-calibrate it for you. Congrats on the bike!! Nothing beats a Kawi!

REPCobra10

Established Member
Thanks for all of the input, guys. I am new to the motorcycle world and I really don't know too much about, well, anything. I'll check the front-sprocket as well when I get a chance later this week. As it sits right now, with the sprocket change(s), it is a little bit aggressive for my liking. As I said, I'm new to motorcycles. Is it possible to just have a -1 tooth on the front-sprocket and keep the rear-sprocket the stock 40-tooth? I hear that even that is enough for most guys with 600cc bikes. I just want to still have my top-end too when I want it at times. I guess I want the best of both worlds but I know I can't have blistering acceleration down low with great top-end. So, what is the best sprocket setup to get where I'll have better low-end acceleration than stock but also most of my top-end remaining as well? Anyone and everyone who knows anything, please chime in.

bettner12

Iraq bound
Established Member
+2 in the rear with stock front size.
-1 in the front equates to something like +2,+3 in the rear
so a +3,-1 combo would be like a +5 or +6 in the rear with a stock front.

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
Thanks, Juice33. I called them and they informed me that it is supposed to be a 40-tooth rear-sprocket. The bike has a 43-tooth rear-sprocket on it right now as it sets which is how I bought it so I'm definitely going back to the stock 40-tooth rear-sprocket. Anyways, thanks again for the number. They were very helpful.

No problem, it is my buddy's shop. I used to work there about 6 years ago too. If you ever need anything they can get it for you.

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
Get the Yoshimura Rs-5 exhaust if you need one, it woke my bike up considerably up-top and sounds great. Also, have fun destroying every 600 on the road....

Users who are viewing this thread