H/C/I Camaro vs Cammed Mach 1

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
Was out with my buddy doing some fishing and lookey there! On the way home we see a guy I know, had a Z28 with an LS1 swap...that decided to go pop. So I turn around and chase him down to see whats up. LoL, well its back together and not playing around this time! I asked him how it ran and of course he smiled and had to show me. First race (from a stop of course, I did say RACE) my passenger counts it off and I leave best I can (around 4 grand, gotta slip it a little or spin city) and get out a half car. Rail 2nd and he closes in :( hit third and he is even and right at the top of third stayed about even. While I was in 3rd he had to shift once, right when I hit 4th he misses 5th and we shut down. So we do another. Both got the tires nice and sticky, my passenger yells it off again and CRAAAP, spin through 3/4 of first. I still stayed out a little because I still hooked a bit better than he did. Hit 2nd and hold him off briefly, I hit 3rd (my 3rd gear blows somehow) and he shifts then creeps right back up. About midway through 3rd he gets ahead by a half car to a car. I hit 4th and he misses 5th again with a half car to a car still on me. We shut it down and I gotta know wtf is up! Both had a passenger. This time around hes running an LQ9, h/c/i and a 4.10 gear. Made 412 on a very conservative dyno (equals around 470 on most). He was happy with how my car ran and we were both glad to have such a damn good run. My car has cams, made 356/339, otherwise bone stock. I think my passenger got video, not sure. If he did ill post it up! I dont like deaths but I guess we could call this even, but he had a ton of mph on me and obvi a lot of power.

#rideordie

Last edited:

Stang Lover

Established Member
Good runs I felt like I was there with you in the races. Cammed Mach 1's have been impressing me lately.

DSGCOBRA24

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
He must have been spinning like crazy or there's something wrong with his camaro. Nice runs though

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Nice runs. Mach sound like a strong car. I love how people miss gears. I dont think I have ever missed a gear in my car. When I got it back out of the shop after 4 months it was a little weird and I didnt put it in 2nd far enough a couple of times and it popped out but thats it.

Mach Boy

Established Member
I'm not familiar with the gearing on Chevys, but he was shifting into 5th when you were just rounding out 3rd? I realize he has 4.10s and you are on 3.55s, but it seems a little counter-productive to be shifting that much by 105mph.

71catruck

Established Member
this is why i love the 4v motors. the chevys red line is around 1000 rpm's lower and with 4:10 he will have to shift a lot sooner. that does seam kinda soon though. op what rpm"s you shift at?

DarkMach1

Established Member
this is why i love the 4v motors. the chevys red line is around 1000 rpm's lower and with 4:10 he will have to shift a lot sooner. that does seam kinda soon though. op what rpm"s you shift at?

You know the stock 6k ls1 redline goes out the window when youre talking about a built motor with HCI right?

71catruck

Established Member
yes i know it can mean that but not everyone builds a ls motor for rpm. and if the h/c/i are set up for low end torque then he wont make power much over stock red line anyways.

DarkMach1

Established Member
yes i know it can mean that but not everyone builds a ls motor for rpm. and if the h/c/i are set up for low end torque then he wont make power much over stock red line anyways.

He puts down somewhere between 412rwhp and 470rwhp on a 6.0L, pretty sure its not setup for low end torque. If he wanted low end torque he would've left the factory ls1 upper combo.

MachJoe

Established Member
Nice runs OP. what cams are you running? I can't wait to get cams this way I can be somewhat even with the people in my area lol.

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member

6700-6800, my computer cuts out any higher even though the limiter is 7k. Also, the Camaro owner said he was shifting at 6, we talked about this and his gearing on facebook and a shitstorm was brewing.

Nice runs OP. what cams are you running? I can't wait to get cams this way I can be somewhat even with the people in my area lol.

NaSVT custom grinds, on stock springs right now as well.

19935.slow

Established Member

Setting up a car for tq is a big failure. Any combination that can make decent mid range power, and great peak power, just needs to not have a serious rpm drop; and it will fly. My bolt on ls1 did it's best e.t. and mph shifting at 6400. Now I spin my cammed ls past 6500.

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
Idk how much a difference it makes, but its an LQ9 motor in it now

My passenger did get videos, between me having larger tires and him smaller than usual, when to let out was all over the place. Either way, here they are

[youtube_browser]R0HIUSPZ3q8[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]gqvWFp745A4[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

DarkMach1

Established Member
Idk how much a difference it makes, but its an LQ9 motor in it now

My passenger did get videos, between me having larger tires and him smaller than usual, when to let out was all over the place. Either way, here they are

[youtube_browser]R0HIUSPZ3q8[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]gqvWFp745A4[/youtube_browser]

Thats one piss poor LQ9.

This might sound stupid but what's doea HCI mean?

Head/Cam/Intake

Users who are viewing this thread