H-Pipe or X-Pipe

nexxone_05

Accelerated Machines
Established Member
I was thinking of just having a muffler shop cut the resonators out, but seen some reviews on different X-pipes adding a slight HP gain. I don't plan on taking the cats off, and the stock mufflers are going to be switched out for some Corsas. Has anyone tried both X & H? If so any feedback will be appropriated.

96gt02

Established Member
I've had both on many different mustangs.... X makes slightly more power and adds more rasp, H is louder and deeper. Go for sound more then power as it is minimal.

96gt02

Established Member
Yes if I remember correct 07-10 was X pipe and 11-14 are H pipe stock, my 12 was stock H pipe

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Do the 2013-2014 gt500 come with an H pipe?
I noticed there was one on mine while doing hose changeout
The stock items out of my 14..
Pa-Mustang-show-415.jpg

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I went with the X, too many H's in my life of owning cars all these years. Even on the Z I did headers on it and put a X pipe under there.

Tony

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
I had a JBA X Pipe installed on my '13 which at the time had stock exhaust. I noticed the sound was raspier...especially at higher rpms. The X Pipe was on 3 weeks before I decided to order headers which I specifically requested be H Pipe. Can't comment on loudness as my mod back to H Pipe included the headers. If there's only a measurable 8-10 HP it really comes down to sound you want to hear. Raspier or Deeper. I'm now running the Corsa Sports behind H Pipe, Hi-Flo Cat American Racing headers. Folks disagree on mufflers making any performance improvement but Corsa Sports axle backs advertise a 8-10HP gain that I was surprised to hear American Muscle tech tell me they verified on their dyno. No matter what the claims your sound goals are likely more important.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
If there's only a measurable 8-10 HP it really comes down to sound you want to hear. Raspier or Deeper. No matter what the claims your sound goals are likely more important.
Have seen dyno results showing around 1 to 2 hp difference, with the X showing the better #..

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I am going to try a MAC Pro Chamber, the Pro Chamber is spec'ed at quite a bit more HP gain than the X or the H......

001.jpg

The Pro Chamber laying over the top of a GT500 aftermarket X.......

002.jpg

It will require a slight amount of tweaking and shortening up front to fit into my current 3" X system, but I think it is do-able.

I don't remember exact numbers, but I believe MAC quotes 20-40HP gains.

R

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Curious to how the Mac Pro Chamber will sound. Looks intriguing. I was leaning towards an ARH H pipe but this thread has got me thinking.

fearthesnake

Established Member
I am going to try a MAC Pro Chamber, the Pro Chamber is spec'ed at quite a bit more HP gain than the X or the H......

View attachment 1572200

The Pro Chamber laying over the top of a GT500 aftermarket X.......

View attachment 1572201

It will require a slight amount of tweaking and shortening up front to fit into my current 3" X system, but I think it is do-able.

I don't remember exact numbers, but I believe MAC quotes 20-40HP gains.

R
That HP claim seems a bit generous imo. Is that over the Stock H-pipe or the X pipe you are comparing to in the pic?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
That HP claim seems a bit generous imo. Is that over the Stock H-pipe or the X pipe you are comparing to in the pic?

The picture above is laying over a GT500 application JBA X-pipe.

My guess, and this is only a guess is that the Pro Chamber allows the exhaust gasses to expand, much like a open header allows the gasses to expand sooner, but the system is closed with the PC. The gasses ability to expand is the reason the HP claims are higher............as they would be with an open header........<<<Like I said, just a guess....

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I grabbed this picture from the internet, I believe this is a oem Mustang GT H.............

DPP-Mustang-Mac-Prochamber1-vi.jpg

I know the MAC Pro Chamber is available in the 2007-2010 2.5" and also in 3", but I am not sure about the 2011-2014 GT500 2.75". It may be offered in a 2011-2014 Mustang GT application, which will work also.

R

96gt02

Established Member
Your are in correct in that the Pro chamber makes more power then an X or H, Shaun at AED tested it awhile back, I think its was around 10ish HP over an X (which makes more then an H anyway) which is still impressive. I ran one on my 13 GT after going from O/R H to X then to the PC, I will tell you this is, its sounds awesome and super deep with the pro chamber however its super quiet, like it was louder with the stock cats vs a O/R prochamber. I couldnt take the quiet anymore so went back to the original H shortly after the PC.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Your are in correct in that the Pro chamber makes more power then an X or H, Shaun at AED tested it awhile back, I think its was around 10ish HP over an X (which makes more then an H anyway) which is still impressive. I ran one on my 13 GT after going from O/R H to X then to the PC, I will tell you this is, its sounds awesome and super deep with the pro chamber however its super quiet, like it was louder with the stock cats vs a O/R prochamber. I couldnt take the quiet anymore so went back to the original H shortly after the PC.
Was that tested on his current stand or his 2012 he had? For some reason i dont remember when it got tested.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member

I wonder if the flow with the PC installed would be more beneficial for a S/C'ed car vs. a N/A?

R

Users who are viewing this thread