H&R Race Ride Height after install

BrettT 93|03

93 & 03 Cobra Venom
Established Member
Ok, finally finshed the spring install. Not too happy with the drop in the front.... I don't think the front droped enough. And...I just had the alignment done too.

What do you all think?? Should I pull one of the front ISO's out??

H&R Race Springs
19" Wheels
(ALL) Iso's in PLACE

Measures from ground to FENDER lip.

FR: 26" 1/2
FL: 26" 1/8 (lower for some reason)

RR: 27" 5/8
RL: 27" 5/8

WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR RESULTS AFTER INSTALL?
Real happy that the rear is DEAD on..

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz25/BrettT03/hrlowered.jpg

Sorry about the phone PICS... was in a rush.

Last edited:

Slow99x

Established Member
Wait for the car to settle. You cannot gauge the true ride height right after install. If you are still unhappy with the ride height after they settle you can pull the upper isos in the front.

monX

Established Member
I advise not to take any ISO's out. The ride quality will be very shitty and added metal on metal noise. Hopefully it's installed correctly in the front. Give it some time to settle and see what happens.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
make darn sure you are on extremely level pavement before losing sleep on those measurements. maybe try 2 to 3 different spots and remeasure

black 10th vert

Established Member
make darn sure you are on extremely level pavement before losing sleep on those measurements. maybe try 2 to 3 different spots and remeasure

^ I agree. Sometimes if there is a dip in the pavement, the tire can bulge more, and alter the measurement. I ran into this myself when checking mine. If that is not the case, then it means that the pigtails on the springs are not seated in the same exact position, from one side, to the other. It is a pain to get them exact - especially when you fight with the rubber isos. In my case, I used some 3/4" heater type hose, and made my own isos, which were thinner than the stock, but still offer insulation from noise, and rubbing.

I had the opposite problem when I first installed my race springs. I also have the Steeda X-2 balljoints, which alter the geometry, and lower it even more. They provide aluminum 1/4" spacer discs to put on top of the coils, but I didn't put them on at first, because I wanted a good drop. Well, without those, and without the bottom isos, the car was slammed! I have a vert, which has the extra brace under the K-member, and that would scrape on any slight crown, even in my own driveway!:eek: I ended up adding the aluminum plates, plus, the home made lower isos, and it is perfect now. I am also running the upper isos too, btw.

BrettT 93|03

93 & 03 Cobra Venom
Established Member
Thanks for the replys :beer::beer:

I made sure the pigtails were in the middle of the TWO holes in the lower control arm. But I do remember one control arm BUSHING (K-MEMBER MOUNT) in witch it was a little more BINDED (SO SAY) then the other side. Maybe it does need to settle.

BUT, I CAN SAY THIS.....THE CAR RIDES JUST AS NICE A STOCK, EVEN BETTER AS FAR AS PERFORMANCE!. I really like the ride quality of the car now too. Really took me by surprise. So no complaints for the ride quality.

WHAT MEASUREMENT ARE YOU ALL GETTING AFTER LOWERING THE CAR WITH THESE SPRINGS.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
The exact reason why a lot of us will not pay money for a set of springs on this car. Should have just cut a coil off of your stocks and called it a day, not too mention saved yourself some cash.

BrettT 93|03

93 & 03 Cobra Venom
Established Member
The exact reason why a lot of us will not pay money for a set of springs on this car. Should have just cut a coil off of your stocks and called it a day, not too mention saved yourself some cash.

It almost crossed my mind at nearly $600 (springs, MM Plates, alignment, offset bushings ) that I got rapped up in the completed install. But, like I said previously, it made a HUGE differance in handeling and ride quality over stock. Just hoped to of gained a little more drop with the correct installation of the ISO's in place.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
I have Race Springs, and removed the front ISOs for a bit more of a rake. I don't have any extra noise, and the ride is great.

210lkyf.jpg

black 10th vert

Established Member
I measured my fender heights tonight, now that my springs have settled.

Front height 26" (identical side to side)
rear height 26 3/8" (also identical side to side)

The measurements were taken on my drive-on lift rails, which are dead level, so it is the most accurate place for me to take the measurements. My setup is the following:

Front: Race springs with stock upper isos, home made lower isos, 1/4" aluminum spacers (because of the Steeda balljoints)

rear: race springs with home made lower isos, and stock uppers

18" rims with 295/35/18 rear, and 245/40/18 fronts

Knoxville COBRA

Established Member
The race drop is not enough for me,Thats why i removed the upper isos and it looks perfect.IMO It rides great and i have NO noise what so ever.
035.jpg

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
^ I agree. Sometimes if there is a dip in the pavement, the tire can bulge more, and alter the measurement. I ran into this myself when checking mine. If that is not the case, then it means that the pigtails on the springs are not seated in the same exact position, from one side, to the other. It is a pain to get them exact - especially when you fight with the rubber isos. In my case, I used some 3/4" heater type hose, and made my own isos, which were thinner than the stock, but still offer insulation from noise, and rubbing.

I had the opposite problem when I first installed my race springs. I also have the Steeda X-2 balljoints, which alter the geometry, and lower it even more. They provide aluminum 1/4" spacer discs to put on top of the coils, but I didn't put them on at first, because I wanted a good drop. Well, without those, and without the bottom isos, the car was slammed! I have a vert, which has the extra brace under the K-member, and that would scrape on any slight crown, even in my own driveway!:eek: I ended up adding the aluminum plates, plus, the home made lower isos, and it is perfect now. I am also running the upper isos too, btw.

I put H&R SS springs in my car w/ MM iso's in every corner of my car & my k-member brace hits all the time... but the car looks sick !!! Haha

black 10th vert

Established Member
I put H&R SS springs in my car w/ MM iso's in every corner of my car & my k-member brace hits all the time... but the car looks sick !!! Haha

I agree, it looks sick as hell with the front that slammed, but since I park it on a drive on lift, it was catching that brace on the transition between the top of the ramps, and the lift. I ended up cutting the bottom plates on the ramps to drop them more, so now, only my subframe connectors scrape a little on the transition. :rollseyes

03COBRA-88

Established Member
I think from looking at the one picture it looks much better than the 4x4 look and it didn't even settle yet. I really have to order these springs soon. I don't want the car slammed but I want the 4x4 look gone. I think race springs will be perfect for me.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I can't wait until my race springs get installed! I found some new on ebay for 150.00 shipped!

OP: Great to hear about the ride quality. That part worried me a bit, but it's not my daily driver.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I can't wait until my race springs get installed! I found some new on ebay for 150.00 shipped!

OP: Great to hear about the ride quality. That part worried me a bit, but it's not my daily driver.

I have to concur on the ride quality with the race springs. They are 100% more controlled feeling than the stock setup (vert. weaksauce valving and springs). I remember taking a buddy on a "spirited" rip around the back roads, and he commented how uneasy it made him feel at times, especially when I was accelerating , and there would be a slight curve, or dip in the road to slightly upset the balance. The only way I can describe it, is that it had a sort of "floaty" feeling to it, which I absolutely hated in a performance oriented car like this, or any car for that matter!:bash: Anyway, the springs, MM valved Bilsteins, and all of the other stuff I threw at it this season totally cured that! It has a perfect ride quality inmo, but is noticeably stiffer when you get on sections of road that are in serious dis-repair (like when they put a lot of patches, instead of repaving).

Users who are viewing this thread