half shaft possible fix

jetmech

Established Member
Hey guys I've been debating on swapping out my IRS for SRA to avoid the half-shaft blues. I really don't want to but the cost of going with the FTB kit,and the brace, it almost makes sense just to build a strong SRA and be done with it. Well I've been talking with a friend that used cryogenic treatment on his brake rotors and on his crank. He said that the rotors lasted twice as long and the crank is still in the car after years of abuse. So I was thinking if he did it on those parts why not on our half-shafts. I called this company and they said the turn around was like 4-5 days if you have it to them by Friday. They also claim that the durability will atleast double on the part. Here's the link if anyone cares to read up on it. Also before anyone gets into a pissing match, I have no affiliation with this company, I'm just curious if this will help since the level5 DSS shafts seem to snap just as easy as OEM. Cryogenic Treatment for Racing, Cryogenic for Motorsports, Cryogenic Engine Treatment

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
i doubt it would change anything. i wouldnt do it but maybe someone else would

Agreed. The half-shafts themselves are't really the problem. The stock half-shafts are plenty strong, its the excess give in the factory bushings that cause breakage. Better to spend the money fixing the actual weak links, which you have already mentioned (brace and FTBR kit).

TRBO VNM

Won't help. I had to done and something else just broke and in turn took out the half shaft...level 5's at that.

The trick is the bushings and tires used at the track.

jetmech

Established Member
So if the half shafts arent the problem.The guys that have the FTB, brace and running slicks (Broke7) and still breaking half shafts...whats the correct tire then? Also why are guys going to SRAs then if all you have to do is the bushings and run the correct tire? I'm not sure which way to go, I don't want to waste money on the IRS if it can't handle launches.

04cobrawhine

Established Member
So if the half shafts arent the problem.The guys that have the FTB, brace and running slicks (Broke7) and still breaking half shafts...whats the correct tire then? Also why are guys going to SRAs then if all you have to do is the bushings and run the correct tire? I'm not sure which way to go, I don't want to waste money on the IRS if it can't handle launches.

because with enough power, anything can be broken.

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
because with enough power, anything can be broken.

Exactly, the fixes mentioned before will work to a certain point, and then yes, you may need stronger half-shafts depending on the power. Just like like switching to stronger axles on an SRA. There are people running a lot of power and fast (9 secs I believe) 1/4 mile times on factory half-shafts. They are very strong, though not unbreakable

Users who are viewing this thread