Hanging Idle Issue. Help?

blksvtCOBRA714

Established Member
Long story short, my FRPS blew when I took my car to get an alignment and when it blew, it blew so bad that the diaphragm in the boost bypass valve on my kenne bell blew because so much fuel was going through my vacuum lines. As a result, I was only showing a vacuum of 16 psi and having a really bad issue with my idle hanging close to 1800. I've since swapped it out with a new one, and my vacuum has returned to about 21 psi. However, my idle is hanging around 1200-1300 now. Before all this occurred it was hanging around 850.

Now the wierd thing is on initail start up my car will idle around 850-900; however, as soon as I hit the throttle, the idle wont settle back down and hangs around 1200-1300 rpm's. However, if I manually put tension on the throttle body to close it, the rpm's will drop back down to 850-900. I haven't had this issue before I had this incident with the FRPS so I'm not sure what the shop all did to my car to try and get it started before I got there. That being said it makes me think that the spring on the throttle body could be worn out and not providing enough tension maybe :shrug: I do have a extra return spring on it to provide more tension but it still doesn't close even when I put more tension on that spring.

I've done many things that everyone else has recommended including>

Replaced the Boost Bypass Valve to fix the Vacuum leak
Replaced the IAC
Cleaned the MAF
Cleaned the Throttle Body
Replaced the spark plugs
Adjusted the Throttle position set screw
Replaced the battery

I'm out of ideas aside from getting a new spring for the throttle body. Does anybody have any ideas?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I had the same issue and tried everything you did. Still had the hanging throttle after all that. Put a spring on the throttle body and smooth as can be now. I can take a pic of it if you want.

you shouldn't have touched the throttle adjustment screw after re-reading what you wrote. I also replaced my TPS as I was getting that code. After that still same idle issue until I added a spring to close the throttle body when i let off the gas.

Last edited:

blksvtCOBRA714

Established Member
I had the same issue and tried everything you did. Still had the hanging throttle after all that. Put a spring on the throttle body and smooth as can be now. I can take a pic of it if you want.

you shouldn't have touched the throttle adjustment screw after re-reading what you wrote. I also replaced my TPS as I was getting that code. After that still same idle issue until I added a spring to close the throttle body when i let off the gas.

I do have an extra spring on there providing tension but it still doesn't seem to be enough. If u could take a pic of te spring ur referring too it may help to see if your talking about the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread