Happy 47th Birthday, Mustang

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
I know this is not a Shelby specific post, but I wanted to remind everyone that our wild stallion turned 47 years old today. On April 17th, 1964 the Mustang was officially unveiled at the New York World's Fair. What started out as a secretary's car, an inexpensive, sporty car targeted directly at the baby-boomer generation, has grown up to be an American icon. She's faced stiff competition, oil shortages, recessions, and many other potentially fatal challenges over the years. These have only served to make her stronger.

But as good, or as bad, as the Mustang has been over the years, she wouldn't be here today if it weren't for the fans like you. Her head has been on the chopping block more than once. In the 1980's, Ford brass had decided to 'modernize' the Mustang by giving her more efficient engines and front wheel drive. When the Mustang faithful found out, the letters writing campaign began, and the response was so overwhelming that Ford decided to keep producing a V8, rear drive Mustang and introduce what would have been the FWD 'Mustang' as a new vehicle, the Ford Probe, instead.

In the early 90's, the Mustang was once again the subject of death rumors. At that time, a little known Mustang fanatic inside Ford (let's call him Oscar) led a skunkworks team of engineers to give the old pony new life. Oscar has since become an icon in the Mustang's legendary history. You'll hear about Oscar occasionally in the Terminator forums, O. John Coletti.

Many of you have heard these stories before, and there are many more worth telling. However, we can never take it for granted that the newest members of the Mustang family know these stories. We must keep this flame burning brightly, and pass our passion on to the next generation, so that they may know and understand what we have fought for. Mustang will certainly face more challenges in the future.

Thank you to all who have kept the movement going. It's because if you that we can enjoy the GT500's and Bosses of today.

Oh, and once again, Happy Birthday Mustang!

Last edited:

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Great post. But you should've put this in RS.
Happy Birthday Mustang :beer:

Thanks for the compliment. I considered posting it in Roadside, but when I checked there was no automotive talk going on in there at all. I apologize for putting it the Shelby specific forum, but this is my favorite hangout:).

F8L SN8K

Established Member
I still remember the car that got me hooked on Mustangs. It was a used maroon 1989 5.0 5-speed. My father and older brother was taking it for a test drive and I was able to ride along in the back seat. I was 10 and soon after the test drive I went home and started day dreaming about the car I was going to buy for my first car. Happy to say I bought exactly what I sat out for. A red 90 GT 5-speed and started in on the bolt-ons. I later stepped up to a canary yellow 95 GT 5-speed when I needed a more "civilized" mustang. Then after graduating high school it was time to step up to a electric green 99 cobra. The mods got out of hand with that car and so I bought a True blue 02 Lightning for a DD shortly after getting married. Some downsizing happened at my job and I had an offer by someone to buy my Money Pit of the Cobra. So for the first time in my driving life I was Mustangless!!! Even though the Lightning was close it still wasn't my Pony car. I searched for a new 07 Shelby for months and had my name on several waiting list but couldn't touch one that didn't have a mark-up in which I refuse to pay even MSRP. So I went on to plan B and found me a 100% stock metallic silver 03 cobra with 1,800 miles on it. I traded the lightning even though it wasn't the color I preferred but was a good deal. I'm now getting ready to sell the 03 so that I can use the money towards building a 2010 SCJ. Not a single one of my cars/trucks had ever been stock for more then 2 days after I took ownership. It is the 11th commandment "thou shalt not leave thy mustang stock". That is the beauty of our beloved pony car, that you can personalize the car directly to your taste. From mild to wild. From looks to speed. From stock to racecar. It can be bought on a average persons salary and be anything you want it to be. It's always been a bonding experience for me with family and friends.

From the mustang running horse with the tri-bar tattoo to having a daughter middle name of Saleen to my wedding anniversary is even on April 17th so I could remember when it is(lmao my wife is a very understanding woman!!!). I can remember 05 because of the body style change. Heck thats how i can remember how old she is born in 79 another great milestone in Mustang history. My daughter was born at 3:05 and i tried to bribe the doctor to write 3:02 or 3:51 instead. I was watching qind tunnel last night and they were interviewing John Force. They said Ashley is due at such and such. John replys she is due at Indy that he doesn't go by dates he goes by races. I'm the same I have to relate everything to the Mustang for me to retain dates and whatnot lol. My strong enthusiasm for the Mustang almost borderlines Obsession. I've learned about almost every type and year of Mustang so I'm not just into what I own. I'm into the Mustang as a whole. I am 28 years old and my passion and knowledge of this American legend has only grown over the last 18years

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread