Hard Shifting. Clutch Not disengaging. Problem solved.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
What is the right adjustment for the clutch? Everyone seems to have a different answer or say the clutch isn't adjusted correctly, where can I find the correct way to adj the clutch??

Preloaded TOB. There is a video on YouTube by promotion powertrain that tells you how to adjust your cable correctly.

Blk4V00GT

Established Member
I watched the youtube vid, I don't have a firewall adj on the car currently just the quadrant and adj cable, I have the cable adj so the tob is against the pressure plate but I can't tell the load

Tims97SVT

Established Member
I watched the youtube vid, I don't have a firewall adj on the car currently just the quadrant and adj cable, I have the cable adj so the tob is against the pressure plate but I can't tell the load

Well then your flying blind... You really need a f/w adj.

a-botti3

Im having trouble shifting at higher rpm's also, but i power shift it. 1-2 is pretty consistant but 2-3 is a real pain sometimes. Its awesome to hit every gear because i hate lifting.

TNTLightning

DSG Terminator
Established Member
I have had most/all of the shifting problems listed in this thread. Hard shifting, clutch smell on 4th gear pull(spec stage 3+), stiff shifter. I have installed LDC freeplay mod, steeda adj. cable/quadrant/firewall adjuster, and washer shim on tension spring, and filled it with synchromesh. I never could get the adjustment quite right, and was always having rough/notchy shifting, sometimes not being able to get it in gear. When the car was cold, it would slightly grind on normal driving and shifting from 1st to 2nd gear(like the clutch wasn't totally disengaging). I systematically eliminated pieces one by one. I bet you can't guess what it was........the FRIGGIN STEEDA ADJUSTABLE CABLE. I put the stock cable back on, and my pedal effort was about 30% less, no grinding even when cold, and it now shifts like a dream. I can't say enough about NOT using aftermarket style cables. I had issues with my 91 foxbody with some aftermarket cables also. It seems that Ford got it right with their clutch cables? Well, sorry for the rant, just wanted to put in my .02.

hotcobra03

Established Member
could it be a shifter problem???

i remember reading a thread where cobrabob has a shim for shifting problems

hotcobra03

Established Member
I have had most/all of the shifting problems listed in this thread. Hard shifting, clutch smell on 4th gear pull(spec stage 3+), stiff shifter. I have installed LDC freeplay mod, steeda adj. cable/quadrant/firewall adjuster, and washer shim on tension spring, and filled it with synchromesh. I never could get the adjustment quite right, and was always having rough/notchy shifting, sometimes not being able to get it in gear. When the car was cold, it would slightly grind on normal driving and shifting from 1st to 2nd gear(like the clutch wasn't totally disengaging). I systematically eliminated pieces one by one. I bet you can't guess what it was........the FRIGGIN STEEDA ADJUSTABLE CABLE. I put the stock cable back on, and my pedal effort was about 30% less, no grinding even when cold, and it now shifts like a dream. I can't say enough about NOT using aftermarket style cables. I had issues with my 91 foxbody with some aftermarket cables also. It seems that Ford got it right with their clutch cables? Well, sorry for the rant, just wanted to put in my .02.

i just replaced my cable this yr...ford tried so hard to sell me steeda cable..i told him dont you read svtperformance...i went with oem

he now reads svtperformance

Last edited:

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
I now have a adjustable cable that was recommends by promotion powertrain and I hate that stupid fking thing. Tried putting my oem one back on but the adjustable one stretched the hole out on my fork so the oem cable would just slip right though... Now I'm stuck with the adjustable one. I finally have it adjusted as good as I can get it and I dont have any problems shifting but I hate the way it feels now. Defiantly wouldnt recommend getting an adjustable cable. And for the TOB riding on the fingers.. I did research on this while adjusting mine and like someone had already mentioned, everyone has a different way of doing it. Some say the TOB will wear out faster due to heat if it's not spinning with the fingers but it's touching them and say the TOB should be spinning constantly.

Users who are viewing this thread