Hard Shifting? Come In!! The Fix!!

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Liberty's Gears uses/recommends Synchromesh in T56, even those with carbon-fiber blocker rings

Some synthetics have been blamed for glazing of said rings because they're so 'slippery' that blockers can't grab like they're supposed to and then they don't slow the gears down fast enough to make a solid, quick shift..

Once the friction material has been glazed or contaminated, the problem can continue to get worse even after subsequent fluid changes

Last edited:

Taz

Established Member
I finally did what I suppose I should have done some time ago. I contacted Tremec tech support directly and asked what they consider the best tranny fluid for my T56. Here is the reply I received ...

Thank you for your interest in the Tremec product line. I am sure that you are enjoying your new T-56. We recommend GM Syncromesh fluid produced by Pennzoil. This is the best fluid to use in your transmission. Please contact us if you require further assistance.

Regards,

Rob

Now that I have it directly from the horse's mouth, I'll consider it safe to give the SM a try next time.

Hope this info also helps others still on the fence about what fluid to use.

:thumbsup:

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Cliff notes: If your car is shifting hard and your clutch is adjusted properly stop reading bullshit on the internet and go change your trans fluid to Pennzoil (or GM) syncromesh.

Changed mine to Pennzoil Synchromesh and noticed a difference instantly. She shifts a lot smoother now.

balncobra

TRMN8R
Established Member
So does GM Synchromesh come in ATF and MTF? or is GM Synchromesh just plain GM Synchromesh? Thinking on changing out my RP synchromax because i've hit the 3rd gear wall with it several times. Also, is it absolutely necessary to add the friction modifier to GMS? A friend told my they make a version with the friction modifier already in it........eyes are bleeding from reading tranny fluid posts all night!

TNTLightning

DSG Terminator
Established Member
I know D & D performance--the transmission experts recommended the synchromesh to me, and it works great. I also checked with liberty gears when i bought their 26spline input shaft, and Tremec. They all recommend synchromesh tranny fluid for the T-56.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Put in 4 qts. of Pennzoil Syncromesh last night, only drove about a mile or so down to the gas station and back though. Felt.... normal. Hoping to drive it some tonight so I can get it warmed up and hit a high RPM 3rd shift to see if it's any different.

03mgtermi

Established Member
hey guys, I'm a new poster here. have used the site a long time for reference info. just recently (June) bought an '03 with 43k and decided to get an account.

I had the tranny fluid changed at a lube shop right after I bought it, thinking that would solve some of the shifting issues. it didn't.

I got back from a 4 day business trip yesterday and could barely get it into any gear. Its 100x worse than it used to be. to clarify, the issues i'm having today are not a result of the fluid change, as it was tolerable for a few months afterward and only just now became undriveable. I was going to install the adjuster, quadrant, and new cable today, but after reading this thread I think I will try syncromesh first to get an objective view of any improvements.

Last edited:

RussZTT

Established Member
I installed a brand new Spec 3+ and put the Pennzoil Syncromesh and I HATE the way it shifts. Its to hard, I know if I were to try and power shift it, it wont go into gear. However, not sure if its the fluid or if I need to shim the pivot ball :shrug:
I know with the stock clutch and the OEM fluid it shifted perfect.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I posted before about this but rest assured if a easy long term fix I would tell you. I changed the carbon blocker rings (they looked fine btw), syncros, keys, gears still shifts crappy imo. Like a old stock toploader. Maybe the new magnum tremec w triple cones is the answer, it sure isn't this stock tranny imo. It will never shift like a t5 or t45 or some imports w/o some major help. I've had manuals for +25 yrs and have missed more gears w this t56 than anything.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
my t56 shifts great with the original factory fluid. I got so sick of researching a fluid swap when I was doing my mgw install, i just decided to leave it alone - lol

Longshot

Established Member
Wow. My shifting has just been getting worse with my my fluid change..2-3 is near impossible at 6200rpm.. Thanks for the help.

03mgtermi

Established Member
changed the fluid to pennzoil syncromesh this morning. got about 3.75 qts in it before it started coming out of the fill hole. after driving it around gently for a few miles it seemed to be shifting much more smoothly. when i really got on it, shifting from 1-2 was perfect and 2-3 was much, much better. probably just my imagination but it seems to have reduced some of the noise and vibration coming up through the shifter as well.

it isn't perfect yet and likely never will be, but next weekend i will install the new cable, firewall adjuster, and quadrant and see what happens. as a side note, i am running steeda's tri-ax sts.

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
Question.. This original thread started by adding friction modifier to existing fluid. Would it be better to add the modifier to my stock fluid or drain it out and replace it with the pennzoil synchromesh?

Just remove the drain plug on the side of the trans to drain it correct? Then fill from where the shifter is until it tops off?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Pull the drain plug, then fill through the shifter. I just dumped in 4 qts and called it good.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Drain plug in bottom of tranny, upper side plug is normally the fill spot, but shifter filling is much easier w one person. What I do. You don't need some hand pump and all that bs w shifter filling. I've done this at least 4 times to try to get that magic shifting.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
ordered MGW gonna do the penzoil synchromesh this weekend, ill let you guys know my results. car has 40k on the odo, and as far as i know all stock tranny and clutch. im getting the hard shift as well at higher rpm, and sometimes first and reverse arent really smoot, but i havent experienced "the wall" ppl are refering regardind the first and reverse shift.

03mgtermi

Established Member
i used a $3 dollar plastic tube from autozone to fill mine through the fill hole. called a trans/diff fluid fill tube. screws right on to the top of the bottle and has its own on/off. other end fits nicely in the fill hole. just squeeze the bottle and pour the excess fluid in the next bottle. i didn't wanna mess with removing all the shifter stuff. pick your poison.

Users who are viewing this thread