has anyone actually broken an mt82?

Chaney5.0

I saw two let go at the track two weeks ago. Almost back to back. Shut the track down for 45 minutes both time. One on strait drag slicks, the other on the stocker 245s. Neither with anything more than maybe a tune and exhaust.

I have about 2700 Moderately hard miles on mine. (Do not down shift, shift to nuetral and let the brakes stop me) I try not to launch it anywhere but at the track. If I am going to make a pass with somebody I roll into first REAL easy and don't punch it until 3400rpm or so.)

I have had some weird faint hissing noise coming from the shifter itself here in the last thousand miles are so, but the trans shifted just fine. I did how ever switch over to Amsoil on my first engine oil change, and decided to do the same for my trans. WOW does the amsoil make this thing feel SOOOOOOO much better. It shifts so much smoother, and makes me feel so MUCH more confident about me not breaking it. I had a "slight" tranny whine from day one, but I feel like it wasn't a bad whine, just a common thing with these mt-82s, and that is pretty much GONE.

Getting off topic!

Sorry!

ViciousJay

Established Member
Correction.
Here are Tracy's two broken input shafts. :nonono:
761/598 rear wheel.

twoshafts.jpg

wish i had your issues

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
i think the MT82 lives and dies by how its shifted.

ive seen youtube vids of guys trying to power shift the MT82. the getrag doesnt like that one bit.

ay 7k miles i have NO ISSUES and can rip gears with the best of them. stock shifter, stock bracket. you have to finesse it into gear.

kingnut

Established Member
I had a McLeod rst clutch all three time it blew. Like said the tranny feels great and the gearing is great it for some reason I got the shitty ones lol. Oo well on to bigger and better things. And no the mt82 is not stronger than a t56 magnum. T56 from 03-04 cobras maybe but not the magnum. JPC has been 9.0's on the t56 magnum straight out of the box. When I ordered it I wanted to do it once and once only. I ordered it fully upgraded with carbon fiber syncro rings, surface enhanced gears, shot peening treatment, and cryogenics treatment. The one I ordered should hold a good deal more than the rated 700ftlb of tq. Now I just need to make that much lmao.

How much did this setup run you?

Deespeed99

Established Member
Mine went out at 2500 miles...Before I even made my first payment when I had the car :( It was covered under warranty though. I put in a barton bracket and shifter since the rebuild and *knock on wood* it's held up well ever since.

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
How much did this setup run you?

I got the trans, upgraded driveshaft also ( the best one they sell), 26 spline clutch discs since I already have the clutch, speedo calibration box, and a new pilot bearing shipped it was a little under $5700. After that I bought the McLeod lightened steel flywheel since I was running the stock one, a new slave cylinder, and ARP flywheel bolts that was another 600+. I dished out a lot of money on this setup hope it was worth it.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
+1 for Amsoil MTG making a big difference. I liked my MT82 before but it's substantially more smooth with the amsoil in it. The factory fill smells like dogshit too, I don't know what they put in it, but it smells like death.

danny04mystic

svt and ford enthusiast
Established Member
+1 for Amsoil MTG making a big difference. I liked my MT82 before but it's substantially more smooth with the amsoil in it. The factory fill smells like dogshit too, I don't know what they put in it, but it smells like death.
what weight fluid are you running with the amsoil? thinking about making the switch on my rear and trans as well. thanks

Rct851

Established Member
What's are the WARNING SIGNS that maybe there's a gear or something going bad? I learned to drive stick a month ago driving my car off the lot so I don't have much experience. I don't know why is normal clunky was it crap

curse

I think I have a problem
Established Member
everyone who has broken their tranny, where you running the stock fluid?

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
what weight fluid are you running with the amsoil? thinking about making the switch on my rear and trans as well. thanks

75w-90 manual trans and gear lube. I think there's only one that Amsoil offers. I'm not sure if I can link the product on the page so PM if you're not sure which one.

FWIW, pretty much all gear oil smells like death lol.

Lol good to know. I come from the Tremec world and ATF being used in manual trannys.

qcksnake

Established Member
I know there are some older post here but I would like to point out one key detail a lot of guys miss. Drag radials kill manual transmission parts! Look at post and you will notice the top parts breakers are running radials. They have no sidewall give and transmit that harshness to the trans. I have not broken input shafts and have been much faster than some here and although I have Mustang dyno numbers that are lower I am clearly putting down power.

Check my post or my username on YouTube

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I know there are some older post here but I would like to point out one key detail a lot of guys miss. Drag radials kill manual transmission parts! Look at post and you will notice the top parts breakers are running radials. They have no sidewall give and transmit that harshness to the trans. I have not broken input shafts and have been much faster than some here and although I have Mustang dyno numbers that are lower I am clearly putting down power.

Check my post or my username on YouTube

Mine broke once on DRs, twice on street tires and never on the launch.

I think the fact that I was running an aftermarket clutch (that actually grabbed and tried to transmit the power/torque) hurried along the destruction of my trans.

cubanassasin5.0

I have a 2011 CS with 31.5k miles wen i bought it and it lasted me almost 2 months i did put about 8kmiles in that time but my 5th went out on me pretty bad i ain't new to stick have had 7 other mustangs all stick v8. It went out wen i was racing as soon as i got into 5th at 7-7.2k rpm's the car locked my rear tires at idk close to 130 mph i've 3,73s was pretty scary i didn't down shifted or anything it went into 5th & stayed there till i pulled it out....
ever since that i can still shift into 5th gear under normal driving but anything over 5k+ rpm's and 5th felt weird & didn't like to go inn very good... before that incident 5th & 6th did grind every once in a while wen i shifted normally under 3.5k but i never raced into 5th gear anymore after that. the car has a jlt intake,tune,catb. so pretty much stock.

I took it to the dealership cause it was under warranty 5yr/60k this tuesday and i found out that on april of this year they had fixed several synchros 2/3 & some other stuff.... idk i hope they put better parts inn it now since i heard 2014s got a little better i get my car tomorrow will see how it goes if it breaks i'll just get the t56 magnum
i feel it wont hold up since i am adding twin turbos in the next month :rockon:

hand-filer

Established Member
I have driven dirt bikes
There's your problem, you ride bikes. If you drive them, you tend to fall over a lot. Kidding aside, I've been banging gears for 40+ years and I think the MT-82 is awesome. I just keep a spare around as insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread