has anyone actually broken an mt82?

Ill_W1N

Established Member
My car has 650+ rwhp with rxt, stock fluid and ive never had one issue with my mt-82. My spider gears exploded in my diff and the housing cracked, ring and pinion went too launching the car on slicks at 5500rpm. Tranny still going strong. I think most it is how people shift these cars not fully engaging the clutch ect. The rxt grabs hard and the tranny is still holding strong. To break 3 different mt-82's is either really bad luck or theres a major driver error. I don't powershift my either thats asking for it to break.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
To break 3 different mt-82's is either really bad luck or theres a major driver error. I don't powershift my either thats asking for it to break.
Might have something to do with 700+ lb ft of torque and a centerforce DYAD grabby has hell clutch. ;-)
How does driver error break input shafts?

Last edited:

Baysixx

Established Member
everyone who has broken their tranny, where you running the stock fluid?
I was running AMSoil fluid. I used to mis shift 3rd gear with the boss manifold and stock clutch so that possibly had something to do with it. 43k miles on it. Never ran the bottle on drag radials and only went thru one so I was pretty much all motor making 414 hp. After the McLeod RST was broken in I let my friend who owns a t56 ls1 drive it. He power shifted 3rd gear and missed it, but forced the shifter into 3rd while the clutch was out. Stripped my 3rd gear. I don't think it would have happened if I had the stock clutch. Probably would have just gotten 3rd gear lock out.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
My car has 650+ rwhp with rxt, stock fluid and ive never had one issue with my mt-82. My spider gears exploded in my diff and the housing cracked, ring and pinion went too launching the car on slicks at 5500rpm. Tranny still going strong. I think most it is how people shift these cars not fully engaging the clutch ect. The rxt grabs hard and the tranny is still holding strong. To break 3 different mt-82's is either really bad luck or theres a major driver error. I don't powershift my either thats asking for it to break.

Chad I think you forgot about the times you were getting lock outs. I would say that would be an issues with the mt82. but i will say you are lucky the tranny is still holding.

Users who are viewing this thread