Has anyone ever been to a Career Counselor?

finaliize

Established Member
My college adviser recommended I schedule an appointment with one as I still have not picked my major at my campus. Reason they have been pushing for me to go to one is I have almost all the required credits for Gen Ed courses on a 2 year degree, and if I dont jump on a path soon i'll be wasting time and/or money.

My problem? I still don't know what I want to do. I had my major set in Business Administration and Management but then I realized I just stuck on that like a lot of people who are without direction, just jump into business.

My question is has anyone ever been to a C.C whether recently or in the past? I just finished up my summer semester today and really need to kick a major into gear for Fall term. For anyone who asks about present job experience, I have been cooking almost 6 years, since I was legally able to work, however I do NOT want it for a career, infact I can't stand it.

I know there are some successful money makers on SVTP, and in my honest opinion I think something in the medical field would be my best bet, as the field is projected to grow massively over the next decade.

s_x_i

Established Member
True Story:

I went to one when I was 17... suggested my best career option would be Cartographer. WTF is that? :shrug: All I wanted to do was play drums.

Well, fast forward 13 years and I have a successful business doing due diligence for the Oil Industry, a large part of which involves mapping and platting. I really enjoy making maps, it's one of my favourite parts of the job.

Point is - you might not agree with what they tell you, but there really is some kind of science behind all those questions they ask. If it's not going to cost you a whole lot, I say go for it.

Planter

Banned
well, what things do you enjoy doing?

what is a passion that burns inside of you, that you really want to do? that you could see yourself doing everyday for the rest of your life, and you'd be happy doing it?

also make sure it's something you're good at, and have a talent for. something you get a personal satisfaction from doing, and afterwards you feel good about it.

once you figure that out, figure out what jobs are related to that and then figure out which one suits you best.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
I went to a CC once. He said the following phrase so many times I wanted to punch him,

"Make your vocation your vacation."

It sounded stupid then, and it still sounds a little stupid now, but before meeting with him I was going to do Law, afterwards when I really thought about it I knew that I was more scientist than lawyer. Haven't looked back since.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
All right guys, I used to be a career counselor, but now I run a career services office on a college campus. Career services has come a long way and the effectiveness of your school's career services office depends on the institution you attend. If your college/university invests in services and personnel to help students, you are in good shape. If career services are an afterthought to the administration, you could get the "make your vocation your vacation" deal astrodudepsu got. Also, if your school is more interested in numbers and "placements" you could be in trouble because they care more about the fact that you have secured a job rather than the fact that you have secured the "right" job.

Check your career services office's website and see if they have electronic resources you can use like Focus2, Sigi3, and StrengthsQuest 2.0. Also, see if they offer the Myers Briggs Type Indicator or the Self-Directed Search (John Holland). These tools can help you find out more about who you are and will assist you in identifying your abilities, interests, and values based on the information you provide. Whatever you do, YOU MUST HAVE SOMEONE (CAREER COUNSELOR OR SOMEONE QUALIFIED IN INTERPRETING THESE ASSESSMENTS) HELP YOU INTERPRET THE RESULTS. The worst thing you can do is finish one of the above mentioned assessments and then move towards a specific occupation/major based on the results it spits out. It is important to talk through the results with someone who is trained to help you do so. Again, I hope your college/university has made career services a priority because if they have, qualified people will be available to assist you. The process of picking a major is no easy task but the process is simple and sensible: 1. collect information (take assessments, review results, research potential majors and occupations). 2. Discuss findings with a qualified professional. 3. Make a decision.

I'm not sure where you are going to school, but if you want to pm me that info I can browse the career services website and let you know what I think. I may also know someone at your institution who can help you.

Last edited:

16kOrBust

Established Member
At least you stuck with doing all the Gen Eds and got those out of the way before you jumped into a major and related courses without really knowing what you want to do. That was a smart move.

DefCon3

Established Member
Plan on changing your major at least once, and your career several times over your life.

I went to a counselor, who observed that the grass always seems greener in the next yard...

Now I run a landscaping business. :)

Users who are viewing this thread