Have a question on my built rear end making sounds

mustangmike01

Established Member
Ok got a new built rear at the begining of the year. it only has about 700 miles on it. No track time or dr. 31 axes, with race cut gears all new barings and so on. A shop did the rear. Now with cut gears you get the wine when you let off. Well yesterday it started wining a lot louder. It gets crazy loud when you down shift into 2nd gear it wines and hums like crazy and makes thumping sound all at the same time!!!! Some sounds big time wrong too me!! What do you guys think and what could of happened?

Thanks

termin80r

Established Member
But if you tighten the pinion down does it not affect the way the gears are adjusted, I kno all chevys you adjust it with the crush sleeve by tightening the nut, the tighter the nut, the tighter the gears are pushed together.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
But if you tighten the pinion down does it not affect the way the gears are adjusted, I kno all chevys you adjust it with the crush sleeve by tightening the nut, the tighter the nut, the tighter the gears are pushed together.

If the nut was tight initially and the gears were fine, then tightening it won't hurt it at all. The noise and vibration could be due to it loosening and now it isn't lining up properly. That is the quickest/easiest possible fix for this. I'd check that and go from there.

mustangmike01

Established Member
It was the main bearing that went and f.. the Pinion. all the gears and everything else was like new no other damage. Guess I was one of thse one out on a mil. people:fm: All fixed good to go:burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread