Have questions regarding Wheeler alternator and oil pressure

holiks03cobra

Established Member
I finished up the alternator and wire upgrade early today. Cold idle I'm seeing 14.00 volts, cruising is at mid 13's, WOT is at mid 12's, hot idle is high 11's. Readings were done on my aeroforce gauge and i know it reads 0.5 volts lower than what it really is. Would the mid 12 hot idle be too low? My PA alternator wasn't even that low.

I recently noticed that my motor has lost some oil pressure. I had a shop put my motor together late last year and I finished the install early this year. When the oil is hot I was at around 30psi at idle. Now its close to 20psi at idle. I have a 3 valve pump with boundary billet gears. 20psi seems low to me, what do you guys think?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
That voltage is to low in my opinion. To the point I'd consider it bad. Also I tested voltage on my aeroforce gauge and battery at the same time. Mine was only .01 difference.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If it goes up with rpm I wonder if you need a different alternator pulley?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I have a metco 3.20 on there because I have a 2lb lower.
Is that what they recommended? I have a 200amp alternator and it currently doesn't charge very well at idle. But once the engine hits 1000rpm it shows a consistent 14vdc. So I need a smaller alternator pulley. I think I'm going to go back to a stock alternator until I put my 4lb lower on.

holiks03cobra

Established Member
Is that what they recommended? I have a 200amp alternator and it currently doesn't charge very well at idle. But once the engine hits 1000rpm it shows a consistent 14vdc. So I need a smaller alternator pulley. I think I'm going to go back to a stock alternator until I put my 4lb lower on.

That's what metco recommends for the 2 and 4lb lower pulley. Mines a 200amp as well and pretty much does what yours is doing.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
That's what metco recommends for the 2 and 4lb lower pulley. Mines a 200amp as well and pretty much does what yours is doing.
I meant the alternator manufacturer. Metco is going to assume you're running a stock alternator. Once you go aftermarket things change.

holiks03cobra

Established Member
I meant the alternator manufacturer. Metco is going to assume you're running a stock alternator. Once you go aftermarket things change.

He said 3 or 3.2 would be fine. He stopped replying when I told him it was dipping into the 11's.

Users who are viewing this thread