Have you ever noticed your local news reports of seatbelt nonusage in traffic deaths?

Wildpony

Established Member
This drives me nuts. Now before everyone jumps on me about wearing seatbelts saves lives I agree 100% and I wear mine 100% of the time.

What I am talking about is the all too common accidents of where somebody is killed driving their car by a semi or a train (and you have about as much chance of winning the lottery or surviving a nuclear attack), and the news channel wants to get in their report " the driver that was killed wasn't wearing their seat belt" :nonono:
WTF ? They hit a frickin semi head on at whatever speed. Did the seatbelt really become an issue at that point ?? Are the law enforcement agencies told to say this to the news so they can use it as a scare tactic in these obvious low % survival crashes???This happened again today about 1 mile from my house and the last thing out of the newslady's mouth was basically "OH BTW the dead driver wasn't wearing their seatbelt".

Floridalawdog

Established Member
One thing you learn with the press and law enforcement, the press does not care what law enforcement says. The only thing that matters is what makes the papers sell and what gets viewers. The truth is usually not an issue.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Floridalawdog said:
One thing you learn with the press and law enforcement, the press does not care what law enforcement says. The only thing that matters is what makes the papers sell and what gets viewers. The truth is usually not an issue.

DITTO!

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
the last 3 fatal crashes around here in about 4 months was a woman that fell asleep and another that got run off the road and a state worker commuting to work. All of them were wearing seatbelts and all died.

Lawman85

Banned
I have worked 2 accidents where the seatbelt didn't matter. I have also worked about 15 where the victim would have lived if they had a belt on.

I always tell my wife not to listen to the News because they always screw stuff up. I'll watch a news report on an incident where I was on the scene, and they never get the info right.

Users who are viewing this thread